Mega 2560 (clone with CH340 USB-Serial chip)

Support for Arduino in combination with Air Manager and Air Player

Moderators: russ, Ralph

brodhaq

Re: Mega 2560 (clone with CH340 USB-Serial chip)

#11 Post by brodhaq »

Hi,
no PM has arrived yet.

I have tried that github driver, but it seems to have no results.

I am definitely not a linux expert. I have limitless time to debug, but I don't know how :D If you want, you can teamviewer connect to my windows desktop, and use SSH to the Raspberry from there, hm?

Pavel
Pavel Brodský
Prague, Czech Republic

Corjan

#12 Post by Corjan »

Hi Pavel,

I'm afraid I have mixed you up with someone else...sorry :)

There is someone else that is experiencing with the new drivers and the clone MEGA 2560. He has a bit more linux know how.
We will try to make this work. Unfortunately, I don't have the clone MEGA 2560 here.

Thanks for willing to help though and I will let you know in this topic if we have news,

Corjan

brodhaq

#13 Post by brodhaq »

Seriously, I can send you one by post, I have 10 of them here and already ordered genuine 2560 from Amazon :lol: You can return it to me at FSWeekend at Lelystad this year... Or you can just cheaply buy one here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1275-Compatibl ... 534p1Du9mg - shipping from France would be very quick I believe.

Pavel
Pavel Brodský
Prague, Czech Republic

Corjan

#14 Post by Corjan »

Hey,

Well, okay :) Only do it when it is not expensive.
I'd like give it a shot, to see if I can get it to work.

You can sent it to:
https://www.siminnovations.com/#g-contact

Thanks!

Corjan

fweinrebe

#15 Post by fweinrebe »

Corjan wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:56 pm Hey,

Well, okay :) Only do it when it is not expensive.
I'd like give it a shot, to see if I can get it to work.
In my part of the world I can buy almost 3x CH340 Arduino's for the price of 1 Genuine Arduino. I am glad someone is sending you one to test.

Thanks Pavel and Corjan :D

brodhaq

#16 Post by brodhaq »

Situation update:

The Made in China CH340 clone: working with AM3 on Windows 7 desktop, not working with Air Player on Raspberry. Tested 5 Arduinos and 3 Raspberries. Windows 7 can see them as CH340 USB-Serial convertor, not a single word about Arduino. Had to install CH340 Windows drivers to make them work. Flashing with SimInnovations installer just fine. Sending one to you guys for testing tomorrow.

For testing I got two SainSmart Mega 2560, which are somewhat better looking clones. No CH340 on board, but proper Atmel mega 8U2 for the USB-COM chip. Windows 7 can see them as Arduino Mega 2560, working with native Windows drivers and Arduino IDE just perfectly. Unable to flash them with SimInnovations installer. The flash starts, runs perfectly, but at the end says following error. AM3 on Windows 7 can see them, but they have Channel: none, so obviously the code does not work with them. Same result on Raspberry Pi. Sending one to you guys for testing tomorrow as well, as I got them for free from Amazon for filling some online survey at my other job : :lol:

Code: Select all

avrdude: verifying ...
avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000
         0xff != 0x00
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch
Bought genuine and bloody expensive Ardino Mega 2560 Made In Italy. Under Windows they look exactly the same as the SainSmart, but flashing was perfectly ok, and working with Air Manager on Windows 7 and on my Raspberry Pi just perfectly. Absolutely no issue, absolutely easy to install. Definitely not sending to Corjan, but I will have to buy one more tomorrow for my other Raspberry :twisted:

I also found some old clone Arduino Uno which I bought when the whole Arduino started many many years ago for few cents on e-bay. And guess what - it works perfectly with both Windows 7 Air Manager, and Raspberry Pi as well.

fweinrebe: I can buy 5 clones for the price of one genuine here. Maybe even 6, if I wait for economy shipping from China which takes about 4-5 weeks. But as I we are using plenty of clones for our ArdSimX interfacing with X-Plane (our project: www.inaero.cz), we only have to buy 2 genuine for Air Manager now, which is ok.

End of report :)
Pavel

By the way, the original latest 2560 is just piece of art. They even have UV printed labels on the connectors so you know which pin is which, without having to look at the PCB. And they ship with nice plastic stand so that no contacts touch my desk. Picture of my EFIS Control Panel now fully working attached. Happy me. Going to buy a beer.
Attachments
30124459_10211649956268306_8413888731093987268_n.jpg
Pavel Brodský
Prague, Czech Republic

Corjan

#17 Post by Corjan »

brodhaq wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:25 am Seriously, I can send you one by post, I have 10 of them here and already ordered genuine 2560 from Amazon :lol: You can return it to me at FSWeekend at Lelystad this year... Or you can just cheaply buy one here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1275-Compatibl ... 534p1Du9mg - shipping from France would be very quick I believe.

Pavel
Hi,

We just received your Arduino's in the mail this morning. Thanks!
I went ahead, and tried to see why they are not working.

- The EEPROM of the non-CH340 clone Arduino cannot be flashed it seems. That is why the channel is not set correctly. Instead, I saved the channel in program memory (just like the Uno and Nano).
- I found a bug in our RS232 windows code, that results in certain COM ports not opening correctly.
- On the Raspberry Pi, the CH340 drivers where already installed. I has to make a code adjustment to make it work though.

So, to summarize, they all seem to work now on both Windows and the Raspberry Pi.
I will create new BETA's shortly.

Corjan

Corjan

#18 Post by Corjan »

Arduino installer:
download

Not compatible with AM 3.2!

Corjan

Corjan

#19 Post by Corjan »

New BETA's for Air Player (win+rpi) and Air Manager (win) are available.

Corjan

brodhaq

#20 Post by brodhaq »

Hi, that was a quick one, thank you! I will test tomorrow when I get back to our workshop.

Pavel
Pavel Brodský
Prague, Czech Republic