Revisiting my year old radio build

Support for Arduino in combination with Air Manager and Air Player

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Kaellis991

Revisiting my year old radio build

#1 Post by Kaellis991 »

Since 2020 I have been working on my Xplane PA28 home sim and finally have it built and working for the most part. Most of the switches and instruments are handled by 4 arduinos in conjunction with Air Manager and 3 Flight Illusion gauges running via Gstep. The other components like the yoke, rudder pedals, flaps and trim have their own controllers.

The last pieces of this puzzle are the COM2 and NAV2 radios that I need to complete using Propwash 5 digit displays and an Arduino Nano. These radios were started almost a year ago and put aside since.

In that time I have forgotten most of what I had learned in trying to get the displays connected to the arduino and scripted by Air Manager for use with Xplane.

I am about to turn 71 and I think my memory over the last year has been on an ever increasing backslide. Add to that the fact that during this Sim build I have always struggled with Air Manager coding. Now its time to finish up these 2 radios but I am pretty much back at square one and looking for some help to re-learn.

What I want to accomplish is to connect the arduino to the propwash displays and then create the Air Manager coding to get Xplane to display the radio freqs on those 5 digit displays. I installed panel mounted dual encoders for each radio and connected them to a Leobodnar BU0836X board which was very easy and allows me to change the freqs in the aircraft.

If I understand this Air Manager coding correctly I should be able to use the arduino and Air Manager to read the frequency data (subscribe?) in the Xplane aircraft radio and send that to the 5 digit displays without having to create hardware coding for any of the dual encoders since the LeoBodnar board is handling that.

I am sure this is a simple matter for the experienced, but my brain has lost a few neurons over the last year and I am not sure where to begin now.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kirk

Kaellis991

Re: Revisiting my year old radio build

#2 Post by Kaellis991 »

The hardware is connected now. I managed to figure out the arduino to the propwash 5 digit module connection.
I remember now about the CSload, DIN, CLK, (selected arduino pins) and the GND, 5v on the display board.

The Air Manager scripts will be the challenge for me now.

It might be best for me to get back into Discord and see if Keith can help.

bmooneyhan

#3 Post by bmooneyhan »

Nah, go look at the scripts that are in the radio instruments code in any of the free instruments or panels. then look at the Wiki:

https://siminnovations.com/wiki/index.p ... n_tutorial

You got this man!

Kaellis991

#4 Post by Kaellis991 »

I will check out those scripts.

Kaellis991

#5 Post by Kaellis991 »

The scripts in the radio instruments are complicated with code for swapping frequencies and activating encoders.

Since I am not using freq. swapping and because the encoders I have connected through the Leobodnar boards are changing the freqencies in the sim, all I need the arduino and the air manager code to do is to read the freqs in the sim and send those characters to the 5 digit display.

After looking at that WIKI page I still dont understand the syntax of the coding well enough to know how to modify it for my use. That particular example is for an 8 digit display and not for a 5 digit readout that will not have the .833 Mhz requirement.

There is also a comment about using a capacitor on the power input of each board. That adds another level of complexity.

I have studied these WIKI pages for going on 4 years now and they typically raise more questions than provide answers.

Kaellis991

#6 Post by Kaellis991 »

Keith was very kind enough to write the LUA script for me.
I now have new com2 and nav2 radios.