Any Plans to Support Shift-Registers for Inputs?

Latest Information on Sim Innovation's flagship product Air Manager

Moderators: russ, Ralph

bmooneyhan

Any Plans to Support Shift-Registers for Inputs?

#1 Post by bmooneyhan »

Hi gang,

I'm starting assembly and beta-testing on Fatmir Halili's new avionics stack, which can be found here: https://flyingforfun.weebly.com/gma-radio.html

In this design he uses shift-registers for button inputs, as a way to reduce the number of Arduino boards required. Mobiflight is his target software so that's cool. In his previous design (classic avionics stack with Nav/Com/XPDR/AP/ADF/DME) he did not use shift-registers, and so it worked with Air Manager (which I use in my own sim) and Mobiflight. I'd like to be able to test in Air Manager at some point as well as Mobi, if the inputs ever support shift-registers. While I like Mobi just fine, I much prefer Air Manager and I think many folks might want to use it with this new radio design. The PCBs look great, and I know from having built 3 of his previous avionics stacks and a GPS unit that it's great work. Is there any interest in adding support for shift-registers?

Thanks,
BuddyM

bmooneyhan

Re: Any Plans to Support Shift-Registers for Inputs?

#2 Post by bmooneyhan »

BTW, I did go back and read previous posts on shift registers and why AM does not support them. I agree, Arduinos are cheap, and I usually don't like messing with muxes either. I can explore running through the message port, but that will complicate it.

Thanks,

BuddyM

jph

#3 Post by jph »

bmooneyhan wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:42 pm BTW, I did go back and read previous posts on shift registers and why AM does not support them. I agree, Arduinos are cheap, and I usually don't like messing with muxes either. I can explore running through the message port, but that will complicate it.

Thanks,

BuddyM
Yes, of course, you can run shift registers if you must. Messageport supports all that you may ever need (within reason and limited speed) it does not complicate things as it is relatively easy to implement.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

SimPassion

#4 Post by SimPassion »

bmooneyhan wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:42 pm BTW, I did go back and read previous posts on shift registers and why AM does not support them. I agree, Arduinos are cheap, and I usually don't like messing with muxes either. I can explore running through the message port, but that will complicate it.

Thanks,

BuddyM
I confirm Joe statement, I was building a Radio instrument years ago, based on 74HC595, which now works flawlessly using MessagePort 👍

https://siminnovations.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1235

jph

#5 Post by jph »

8-) :D ;)
Joe. CISSP, MSc.