REQ: Ability to directly use BVARS

Let Sim Innovations know about your Air Manager experience and let us know about your dream feature addition

Moderators: russ, Ralph

SimPassion

Re: REQ: Ability to directly use BVARS

#11 Post by SimPassion »

Just re-compiled with my own scheme :

image.png

SimPassion

#12 Post by SimPassion »

Hi @Corjan, one which has been update with last SU14 is the KAP140
have a look into this : "Official\OneStore\fs-base-aircraft-common\ModelBehaviorDefs\Asobo\NAVCOM\KAP140.xml"

Sling

#13 Post by Sling »

Corjan wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:31 am Do you guys maybe know if there is a easy way for me to test a BVAR?
Is there any value I could read from a stock aircraft in FS2020 to test if it works?
It’s late here now but I can send you 2 or 3 basic ones to try tomorrow. If I forget give me a nudge.

Sling

#14 Post by Sling »

bazonkers wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:34 am What are the downsides of using RPN code instead of lua functions? I'm genuinely asking because I'm relatively new to AM. There have been times that the rpn has been a lifesaver in regards to bus lookups and circuits which I don't think can be done in lua functions. Other times, however, RPN has been a huge timesaver and I've been able to put things together with work that I already did. Most of the time if it's simple I convert to lua.

Are there performance issues that will eventually crop up if too many gauges use RPN?

That all said, you have a good point which makes me realize what I'm really asking for is the ability to use BVARS in either/both fs2020_rpn and/or fs2020_variable_write.
The downsides are it’s RPN. All joking aside as Corjan mentioned it’s just not as easy to read and interpret and not universal across all the sims. There are some performance limitations too. It was originally added for outside cases like those bus queries so using it for those is indeed a valid use case but this is where in can be limited in how many you can run. Will be experimenting further with this in the future. If I could just do a subscribe on the bus connection I’d much rather that as it’s so much easier to deal with than a single instance query.

Sling

#15 Post by Sling »

Corjan,

I sent you a message with some known working examples for the SR22 and C208 Grand Caravan default aircraft.

SimPassion

#16 Post by SimPassion »

Could be interesting for anyone to read such inputs publicly !? Just by technical interest and also to help anyone increasing their skill. Not for me as I'm far from being easy on the MSFS part, though there's here many simmers who may feel interested technical and further I don't really understand the way to maintain sharing at a "secret" level. I think it would benefit to everyone and to the community to help anyone knowledge increasing ... better knowledge would bring better instruments and what we share will just come back from other sharing at some point. Just my two cents !!! 😉

Sling

#17 Post by Sling »

No secrets just some Bvars from the sim.

SimPassion

#18 Post by SimPassion »

Sling wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:12 am No secrets just some Bvars from the sim.
What I meant PM is something like "I don't want to show or share to everyone, just to a single person ... just like some background knowledge which we feel better to never come to the most of the community members ..." 😉

Sling

#19 Post by Sling »

If I want to send the info in a message, by email or on a forum that’s my choice. It just happened to be more convenient at the time.

SimPassion

#20 Post by SimPassion »

Sling wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:45 pm If I want to send the info in a message, by email or on a forum that’s my choice. It just happened to be more convenient at the time.
Yes and indeed Tony, I would only promote what would be a sharing for the community and following this, if I think something would benefits to the community too, I would not choose any hidden communication vector, that's indeed my own choice ! 😉