[SOLVED & RPi Pico Issue] NANO - CH340 - Win 11 - Flashing issues / RPi Pico communication issue MessagePort

Support for Arduino in combination with Air Manager and Air Player

Moderators: russ, Ralph

SimPassion

Re: [SOLVED & RPi Pico Issue] NANO - CH340 - Win 11 - Flashing issues / RPi Pico communication issue MessagePort

#91 Post by SimPassion »

Hi Joe, not sure I put the link here, though this one seems to bring rather far more readable labels and precision. Looks a bit more expensive though

https://www.czh-labs.com/products/ultra ... ry-pi-pico

Just paid attention to the Pico labels laying on the bottom side, indeed unusual :

image.png
image.png (73.79 KiB) Viewed 5418 times

Indeed I will make some new arrangement starting on your own scripts Joe ... let me time and I will posts them in the upcoming weeks

jph

Re: [SOLVED & RPi Pico Issue] NANO - CH340 - Win 11 - Flashing issues / RPi Pico communication issue MessagePort

#92 Post by jph »

Thanks for the links and info Gilles. I had actually just ordered a couple of the boards from aliex
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004 ... 1802yJVFoj
They will be fine and I like the led indicators as they are fully electronically buffered so do not affect I/O
I will gather some notes for you on the quad mux and messageport as the commenting in the program is missing a few parts. It basically reads in a mux mode, then moves the results into 32 bit chunks ready to send to messageport. An MP message will ONLY be sent if the data has changed, even then only the appropriate chunk is sent. Try to get sensible data to the Arduino output function first. IIRC you only need a pullup resistor on data pin of the mux - nothing is needed on the inputs. You will see various commented out sections of code - these were mainly done when running timing loops to find the fastest method. With a 240mhz clock you can get a scan time of around 0.5mS !!!!! amazing really. - anyway, I digress as usual :lol:

If you get the strip, get either 5 or 12v (depending what power supplies you have available) and preferably 144 pixels per meter as it is amazing to see a full 144 neopixels in full glory in only a 1 meter space - also - this is a nice size for using in annunciators etc.

I notice you experimented with white - this is excellent as you will find that the ability to set any variation of 'white' from the warmest to the coolest by altering the red to blue ratio is also amazing for backlighting and flood-lighting that is not possible with any other type of led. For panel lighting a lower pixel density can be used if needed.

Enjoy my friend. :)
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

SimPassion

#93 Post by SimPassion »

Just seen we can connect power supply on VSYS with adding a diode. here at the end of the "The Raspberry Pi Pico W Microcontroller Board" section and just before the "Setup" section
https://leanpub.com/rpitandt/read#leanp ... ller-board

Powering the Pico

There are three main ways we can apply power to the Raspberry Pi Pico. The method used will depend on our application. We can power Raspberry Pi Pico from one of the following;

The micro USB connector on the device
The VBUS pin (40)
The VSYS pin (39).

Powering from the USB connector is by far and away the simplest method, but not always desirable because of limitations of space or supply types.

If we provide a supply to the VBUS pin our Raspberry Pi Pico can take a voltage of between 1.8 and 5.5V, as it has an internal buck-boost regulator (which can regulate the output to a higher or lower voltage than its input). This will internally power VSYS via a Schottky diode, but we must be sure not to connect another power supply to Raspberry Pi Pico’s USB connector at the same time.

The VSYS pin is the main system power supply on Raspberry Pi Pico. From here the Raspberry Pi Pico generates its own 3.3V supply which is used to power RP2040, and also the 3V3 output pin (36). A safe way to add a second power source to Pico W is to feed it into VSYS via another Schottky diode. This will ‘OR’ the two voltages, allowing the higher of either the external voltage (or VBUS) to power VSYS, with the diodes preventing either supply from back-powering the other.

jph

#94 Post by jph »

Hi Gilles, yes, the GENUINE pico has an internal on board buck/boost regulator.
NOTE - the chinese and other copies DO NOT HAVE THIS BUCK BOOST REGULATOR.
So really this only applies to absolutely genuine pico units.

This isn't actually a big issue in use as the buck boost reg is a bit overkill on the 'genuine' design. All copies - that I have so far seen, use a simple buck regulator to 3.3V from the USB 5V supply so the option you listed does not apply. - caveat - some may be possible to apply an alternative supply but I would need the complete schematic of the psu to see.

See page 25 here - https://datasheets.raspberrypi.com/pico ... asheet.pdf

the alternative supply has meaning when applied to this diagram of the genuine unit with buck/boost
Joe :)
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

SimPassion

#95 Post by SimPassion »

Gone with these ones :

Soldered one at 5.65€ + 1.77€ for shipment :
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005002733449265.html
+
An additional Freenove which is at 1.95€ on welcome offer (1 unit only per people purchase) + 3.53€ for shipment :
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005004709248186.html

With WS2812B RGB onboard and boot key / user key / user led - 16MB version at 2.14€ + 1.23€ for shipment :
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005004096147070.html
+
Specific Breakout purpleboard model at 2.95€ + 1.81€ for shipment :
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005004909298762.html

jph

#96 Post by jph »

Nice choices Gilles ! :)
I like the freenove boards I must admit.
The 16MB units are nice also, I have several of them. It would be really difficult to ever use that much storage but having it is excellent - better more than less. :D You end up using most as file storage but that is great also.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

SimPassion

#97 Post by SimPassion »

Hi Joe @jph,

Quick status on delivery :
Non genuine boards arrived yesterday and Genuine one not already came to depart center in originate country with same purchase day of 29th december for both packs ...

it looks like the non genuine is more likely the one you've already shown, however, if the RGB pad is showing an already soldered resistor, on the reverse way, the VREF pad still shows no connection ...

RGB pad :

image.png

VREF pad :

image.png

Overview :

image.png

SimPassion

#98 Post by SimPassion »

Default INO sketch already pre loaded on board before delivery :

jph

#99 Post by jph »

SimPassion wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:48 am Hi Joe @jph,

Quick status on delivery :
Non genuine boards arrived yesterday and Genuine one not already came to depart center in originate country with same purchase day of 29th december for both packs ...

it looks like the non genuine is more likely the one you've already shown, however, if the RGB pad is showing an already soldered resistor, on the reverse way, the VREF pad still shows no connection ...
Hi Gilles, sorry about the delay, was occupied yesterday.
Please note, the VREF solder pad is the one I have highlighted in YELLOW and IS soldered. The 2 areas you highlight are the actual test / take off points. It looks ok.
Looks fine so far :) note, the resistor, if used between pads will almost certainly be a 0 ohm unit for the pick and place machine to form a jumper otherwise it would need to be soldered manually at the factory. Either is fine.
Joe
vrefimage.png
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

SimPassion

#100 Post by SimPassion »

Thanks Joe @jph for the feedback and confirmation, not ever noticed I was wrong on this and now fully understood 👍