Ideas on Air Manager's UI rework

Latest Information on Sim Innovation's flagship product Air Manager

Moderators: russ, Ralph

frumpy

Ideas on Air Manager's UI rework

#1 Post by frumpy »

Hi guys,

Corjan posted a pic on ideas of the new UI. I feel this is a very important topic and we all can help to make AM an even better product.

A proposal for the new UI is here:

It's complex to do a restructuring which is easily understood, while being complete and even allows for future features integration. I like the new UI suggestion more than the way it is now.

Some ideas that may be worth to spend some time on:

[Home]
- the top bar "Air Manager .. Help" could be removed by integrating it's features into Settings (Activation stuff, Orders, language) and a new group "Help" (next to Home, Create/edit, Settings)
___________ my name "Harry Harrison" is not important to me as a user :)
- I am confused by having two times "Cessna 172" on the screen. Not sure what it does
- not sure what "Clone" and "Delete" is good for. I would put this somewhere else
- I would prefer an "Airplane" approach to setting up Panels/Hardware stuff and get rid of "Panels". "Displays" is the old "panels", but if you change it you only need to start the whole setup with one click on the appropriate airplane.
___________"Aircraft [+]" opens up :
______________________________"Displays [+]" (configure monitors and instruments)
_______________________________"Hardware [+]" (set up Arduinos, switches, G5...)
- not sure where to put Air Player though, I don't use it. But I would rather have it a bit out of sight, as it's a minor function once it's set up. Even though it's software, I rather treat it as an object like "Hardware".
- Home /Create/Edit / Settings / (Help) should be on top on the left side. It's the main setting for controlling where I am

[Create/Edit]
- right side looks very good
- left side is a bit confusing to me:
_______ what is "Group" for?
_______ why Panels? I would set it up in "Home/Aircraft/Screens"
_______ same with Hardware/Devices/FI: Put it to Home/Aircraft
- fun thing to note: I just saw the Instrument/Panel/Hardware Function/FI gauge menu in the actual release version. Never used it, as I think the same taks can be done using different ways

Keith Baxter

Re: Ideas on Air Manager's UI rework

#2 Post by Keith Baxter »

frumpy wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:29 pm
[Create/Edit]

_______ what is "Group" for?
Hi,

Groups is for peeps to group there instruments into "groups".

Peeps asked for separate "FOLDERS" to store there instruments in. I was one of those and it is extremely helpful feature that Corjan did for us. C:\Users\Keith\Air manager\instruments\OPEN_DIRECTORY
When peeps like Tony, Gilles and myself and many others are developing many instruments for many different airframe and sim platforms, it is nice to be able to group all instruments for a platform or panel one is working on.
I have over 3000 instruments in my OPEN_DIRECTORY

Hope that explains that one.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

Corjan

#3 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

Was indeed thinking of removing the top menu bar completely. But it is needed to 'Import' and 'Brightness', and maybe 'Flash'.
Altough flashing an Arduino can be integrated in the '+ Device' flow.

Although not used that much, you can run multiple plugins at once in the create/edit. In the example there are two different Cessna instruments.

'Clone' and 'Delete' will do exactly that for the selected panel. It is also in the panel context menu (right click), but I thought since they are often used, to make them more prominent.

We have discussed this quite a bit here, if we want an additional 'Cockpit' (or FlightDeck for the wokies :) ) layer. But I think this will complicate things further. Also I would like to keep the left side a list, not a tree view. Also for simplicity.

We now use panels everywhere, see little use to change that to Display. Feels descriptive enough as it is.

My idea is to hide the complete top left part (AM, AP) when you don't have any AP connection going. Will only be visible when first AP is connected.

Group is new, you can group multiple plugins together. The once you work on a lot for example. Not that usefull in my opinion, but some here really needed it.

There are indeed multiple plugin types. Only instruments, panels and hardware functions are really needed though,

Corjan

Corjan

#4 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

Thinking out loud here, but maybe 'create/edit' should be changed to development. Have heared of people thinking that is the place to design a panel.

Corjan

Keith Baxter

#5 Post by Keith Baxter »

@Corjan

I have flogged this dead horse over and over. Please can we have a pop out that just shows a menu bar. Peeps like me use notepad++ as an editor and I want to just have this visible so as to save on screen real estate.
ice_screenshot_20231025-223147.png
ice_screenshot_20231025-223147.png (5.26 KiB) Viewed 1624 times
Keith.

Would be nice to be able to pop out the console and subscriptions windows as well. ;)
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

SimPassion

#6 Post by SimPassion »

frumpy wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:29 pm
I will reply outside the quote for better clarity, where required from my own POV :

[Home]
- the top bar "Air Manager .. Help" could be removed by integrating it's features into Settings (Activation stuff, Orders, language) and a new group "Help" (next to Home, Create/edit, Settings)
- my name "Harry Harrison" is not important to me as a user :)

Fully agree

- I am confused by having two times "Cessna 172" on the screen. Not sure what it does

This is to ensure we have properly selected the expected panel, or which is currently selected

- not sure what "Clone" and "Delete" is good for. I would put this somewhere else

Same related part as above, this allow cloning or deletion of the current selected panel, so this has to be present on the current selected panel pane to avoid confusion, @Corjan made it correct

- I would prefer an "Airplane" approach to setting up Panels/Hardware stuff and get rid of "Panels". "Displays" is the old "panels", but if you change it you only need to start the whole setup with one click on the appropriate airplane.
___________"Aircraft [+]" opens up :
______________________________"Displays [+]" (configure monitors and instruments)
_______________________________"Hardware [+]" (set up Arduinos, switches, G5...)

Why not, to see ... Additionally, it could make sense on the Home area which is dedicated for the flight simming experience. Not to see this on the Create/Edit area though, as this requires rather a dev approach

- not sure where to put Air Player though, I don't use it. But I would rather have it a bit out of sight, as it's a minor function once it's set up. Even though it's software, I rather treat it as an object like "Hardware".

Not agree with this, we would see it as an additional device, for this @Corjan is again correct

- Home /Create/Edit / Settings / (Help) should be on top on the left side. It's the main setting for controlling where I am

Not sure here, Air Manager is rather used by a vast majority of flight simmers only and the devs part is mostly the lowest activity ... ask SI what they think of this 😉

[Create/Edit]
- right side looks very good 👍

- left side is a bit confusing to me:
- what is "Group" for?
Used for grouping instruments / panels / hardware functions, aso ... It has been asked and is really useful in devs life, so we can't miss this feature in any case ...

- why Panels? I would set it up in "Home/Aircraft/Screens"

Nope, absolutely not, these are the panels we build only as devs and this feature doesn't have to be moved elsewhere

- same with Hardware/Devices/FI: Put it to Home/Aircraft

It has to be present in the way @Corjan designed it. The hardware device binding for panels is another thing

Last edited by SimPassion on Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SimPassion

#7 Post by SimPassion »

Corjan wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:13 pm Hi,

Thinking along here, but maybe 'create/edit' should be changed to development. Have heared of people thinking that is the place to design a panel.

Corjan
Good idea 👍

SimPassion

#8 Post by SimPassion »

Keith Baxter wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:21 pm @Corjan

I have flogged this dead horse over and over. Please can we have a pop out that just shows a menu bar. Peeps like me use notepad++ as an editor and I want to just have this visible so as to save on screen real estate.

Keith.

Would be nice to be able to pop out the console and subscriptions windows as well. ;)
Indeed, this floating window would be very useful in many circumstances, with run / stop / restart for this expected last new one which is really missing, as "restart" in one click is not the same as "stop" and "run"

Corjan

#9 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

Don't think I will go with the floating windows thing.
Makes it more complicated to build, and it is a verry messy way to do things, by having multiple windows floating about.

With the new design, you already have way more space for the code.
Both horizontal (by making left menu bar smaller) and vertically, since ribbon bar will be gone.

You still have the option to go with an external editor. No way that AM will be able to fully replace an external editor,

Corjan

Corjan

#10 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

Something else that was surprisingly easy to add, and also quite usefull, is this:
image.png
You can show the window by pressing ctrl+space.

Also part of AM 4.3,

Corjan