Dual functionality - Traditional Knobster yellow button vs KnobXP

Support for KnobXP, share your experience and KnobXP modes.

Moderators: russ, Ralph

SimPassion

Re: Dual functionality - Traditional Knobster yellow button vs KnobXP

#11 Post by SimPassion »

Sorry, not seen Ralph posted before I wrote, so you already got the proper answer

ChipDeMoss

#12 Post by ChipDeMoss »

Thanks for the advice. The reason this is important to my is that I'm gearing up for my instrument check ride in July and the C172 I will be flying uses the G500 for the primary flight instrument and the G5 as the backup. I will have to make two approaches using the G500 and one approach using the G5. So thinking it through, in my sim training, I won't have to use both instruments at the same time. So I may just alternate the function of the Knobster depending on which flight instrument I'm training on - G500 using KnobXP and the G5 using Yellow Dot.

SimPassion

#13 Post by SimPassion »

ChipDeMoss wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:10 pm Thanks for the advice. The reason this is important to my is that I'm gearing up for my instrument check ride in July and the C172 I will be flying uses the G500 for the primary flight instrument and the G5 as the backup. I will have to make two approaches using the G500 and one approach using the G5. So thinking it through, in my sim training, I won't have to use both instruments at the same time. So I may just alternate the function of the Knobster depending on which flight instrument I'm training on - G500 using KnobXP and the G5 using Yellow Dot.
So, the firstly started application will handle the Knobster, either X-Plane or either Air Manager, so you'll have to choose at first which will be the first to run before the other

ChipDeMoss

#14 Post by ChipDeMoss »

That sequencing makes sense and I will keep that in mind.

Sling

#15 Post by Sling »

Sling wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:34 pm Why not do it the traditional way and make an AM overlay for the G500.
I go back to my earlier post. You are making this much harder than it needs to be. You don’t need KnobXP to operate AM instruments and could use both at the same time just by touching each one for the yellow dots. I sense you don’t want to make an overlay for the G500 but it would be the nicest solution.

ChipDeMoss

#16 Post by ChipDeMoss »

Ok - considering your option. My understanding is that the bezel overlay would work through Air Manager and its use of Knobster via yellow dot method. My first question is could I develop an overlay of just the bottom left knob on the G500 pop-up to use with AM/Knobster? I ask because the Knobster is currently located on the left side of my instrument panel right under the left knob of the G500. The G5 is located nearby, so the Knobster could control both the G5 knob and the G500 left knob via yellow dot method. I have another arduino rotary encoder on the right side of my instrument panel that I am currently using to control the right knob of the G500. I would not need an overlay for any of the G500 soft keys since the pop-up instrument is located on a touch screen and I can control the soft keys directly.

Sling

#17 Post by Sling »

Sure. As long as the appropriate commands are available you can make a small overlay just for the left knob. If you really wanted you could have 3 encoders so there is a dedicated one for each knob. You wouldn’t need knobster for this you could just use any standard encoder that AM will interface with.
Last edited by Sling on Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ChipDeMoss

#18 Post by ChipDeMoss »

OK - next thought regarding your idea. Can you recommend where to purchase a pre-made single encoder knob with push button that I can use as a standalone encoder for the G5 knob?

Sling

#19 Post by Sling »

Never looked for a pre made encoder. Not sure that one even exists. Assuming what you mean by pre made is an encoder with a board in an enclosure. You can build that for sure but buy ready made, Hmm. I’ve never looked as it’s not something I’d really ever need.
Last edited by Sling on Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.