Dual functionality - Traditional Knobster yellow button vs KnobXP

Support for KnobXP, share your experience and KnobXP modes.

Moderators: russ, Ralph

ChipDeMoss

Dual functionality - Traditional Knobster yellow button vs KnobXP

#1 Post by ChipDeMoss »

I am running X-Plane 11 on Windows 11. I previously purchased the Sim Innovations Air Manager G5 instrument along with a Knobster to control it. All is working fine.

Recently, I purchased the RealSim Gear G500 instrument which is built into their C172. The G500 can pop-up just like the G530/G430 do. I donwloaded KnobXP and wrote a new mode to control the PFD rotary know/push button. That works fine, too.

But I can't get them both to work together, i.e.; with the Knobster controlling the G500, I can no longer push the yellow button on the G5 to get the Knobster to control the G5.

Is it possible for a single Knobster to perform both functionalities? Or do I need two separate Knobsters - one for Air Manager functionality and one for KnobXP functionality?

Alternatively, could I write a separate KnobXP Mode for the G5? I looked at the LUA scripting and that would appear to be a bit more complicated.

Regards,

Chip DeMoss

Sling

Re: Dual functionality - Traditional Knobster yellow button vs KnobXP

#2 Post by Sling »

Why not do it the traditional way and make an AM overlay for the G500.

ChipDeMoss

#3 Post by ChipDeMoss »

If a single Knobster cannot perform the dual functionality, then I would prefer going the KnobXP route for both rather than designing a G500 AM overlay. I just would need to figure out the Mode coding for the G5 rotary knob/button.

Sling

#4 Post by Sling »

I’m interested why you prefer the KnobXP interface over a dedicated overlay. It can’t be VR because you are using visual instruments and a sim popout so why exactly. I’ve never tried this but I suspect once one app has grabbed the knobster the other can’t so it’s one or the other.

ChipDeMoss

#5 Post by ChipDeMoss »

Programming the Modes seems so much easier.

Here is my mode setup for the G5, but it does not work for some reason:

{
"name": "SI Garmin G5",
"minor_cw_cmd": "si/g5/1/knob_cw",
"minor_ccw_cmd": "si/g5/1/knob_ccw",
"major_cw_cmd": "si/g5/1/knob_cw",
"major_ccw_cmd": "si/g5/1/knob_ccw",
"button_released_cmd": "si/g5/1/knob_button",
"order": 104000,
"major_acceleration": 6
}

Sure would appreciate help with the mode setup for the G5 - I can't figure out where my mistake(s) are.

ChipDeMoss

#6 Post by ChipDeMoss »

Russ or Ralph - can you provide necessary guidance to get KnobXP to work the the SI G5?

Regards,

Chip DeMoss

Ralph

#7 Post by Ralph »

It does not use X-Plane commands, so that isn't possible, sorry.

ChipDeMoss

#8 Post by ChipDeMoss »

I found the SI commands for the G5 at https://siminnovations.com/si/command/ and thought those would work. I guess not.

So back to the original question - can I have one Knobster that controls instruments through KnobXP and another Knobster that controls Air Manager instruments through the Yellow Dot function? If so, I would I designate the function of a particular Knobster?

Ralph

#9 Post by Ralph »

I think it might be possible in theory, but a bit cumbersome. You would have to plug USB cables out and in to make sure that each uses the correct Knobster. You would have to do that each time you use it.

SimPassion

#10 Post by SimPassion »

ChipDeMoss wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:57 pm I found the SI commands for the G5 at https://siminnovations.com/si/command/ and thought those would work. I guess not.

So back to the original question - can I have one Knobster that controls instruments through KnobXP and another Knobster that controls Air Manager instruments through the Yellow Dot function? If so, I would I designate the function of a particular Knobster?
Hard to anticipate, this would require to connect only one Knobster at a time with starting X-Plane for the KnobXP handling, then start Air manager and wait for it to be up and running, then connect the second Knobster and hope it will be handled by Air Manager and not again by XP ... I will not make any bet on this though, in any case !