Avidyne DFC90 Autopilot

Let Sim Innovations know about your Air Manager experience and let us know about your dream feature addition

Moderators: russ, Ralph

AnthonySullivan

Avidyne DFC90 Autopilot

#1 Post by AnthonySullivan »

I have bought the Torque Sim CirrusSR22 Entegra with the Avidyne DFC90 Autopilot. I try to download this autopilot but it appears not to exist on the list of downloadable instruments. Is there any plan to add this instrument?

Many thanks
Anthony Sullivan

SimPassion

Re: Avidyne DFC90 Autopilot

#2 Post by SimPassion »

Wowww, $9,989.00 ... too expensive to fit in my aircrafts :D https://sarasotaavionics.com/avionics/dfc90

Joke aside, I guess it wouldn't be that much difficult to build a new one and add it to the Sim Innovations Online repository for anyone who want to start building it ...

image.png

Direct Download link for the DFC90 Manual/Pilot Guide : https://www.avidyne.com/download/600-00 ... 5ZbYUGNZ4k

SimPassion

#3 Post by SimPassion »

Just to mention, if I had more time than currently I would have build it immediately as a generic AM instrument addressing multiple aircraft, as I find it very compact and with simple Mode indications easily and straight forward understandable

From page #1-6 :

"ARMED VS ENGAGED MODES INDICATIONS
The DFC-series of autopilots has readily distinguishable armed vs. engaged modes in order to provide the user higher awareness of the current autopilot state and upcoming state transitions. An armed mode is defined as a state that will be captured when and if the airplane crosses that target. Armed modes are indicated by a cyan (blue) color on both the autopilot control panel and on the PFD mode annunciator strip. An engaged mode is defined as a state that the autopilot is holding. Engaged modes are indicated by a green color on both the autopilot control panel and on the PFD mode annunciator strip.
The images below (Avidyne on top and Aspen in the middle) demonstrate the armed and engaged coloring on both the displays and the autopilot control head. In this example, Heading (HDG) and Pitch modes are engaged and Nav mode is armed.
"

image.png

Sling

#4 Post by Sling »

SimPassion wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:58 am Just to mention, if I had more time than currently I would have build it immediately as a generic AM instrument addressing multiple aircraft,
Assuming of course that the intended target aircraft mentioned uses default commands/datarefs. I don't have it to check. I think @Keith Baxter might though.

Keith Baxter

#5 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

I see I started doing it about 2 year ago. Cannot rem why I did not complete.
Let me see if I get a chance next week to complete it now that the XP12 version is out.
Cirrus SR22 - TorqueSim - Avidyne DFC90.siff
(499.42 KiB) Downloaded 49 times

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

SimPassion

#6 Post by SimPassion »

Sling wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:58 am
SimPassion wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:58 am Just to mention, if I had more time than currently I would have build it immediately as a generic AM instrument addressing multiple aircraft,
Assuming of course that the intended target aircraft mentioned uses default commands/datarefs. I don't have it to check. I think @Keith Baxter might though.
I already build similar on request for specific aircraft handling and added on my own the generic commands and datarefs, so it could be handled at the same time in a single instrument without issue. We just have to implement some custom checking to be told when the specific aircraft is used or not, to avoid sending twice a similar command for example, otherwise using the default ones

SimPassion

#7 Post by SimPassion »

Keith Baxter wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:02 pm Hi,

I see I started doing it about 2 year ago. Cannot rem why I did not complete.
Let me see if I get a chance next week to complete it now that the XP12 version is out.

Cirrus SR22 - TorqueSim - Avidyne DFC90.siff

Keith
👍 Often ahead in this area ... glad I hadn't started any work on it :D
[EDIT] and with Canvas inside ... 😉 Very good start point and as a gift for the OP

Sling

#8 Post by Sling »

SimPassion wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:06 pm
Sling wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:58 am
I already build similar on request for specific aircraft handling and added on my own the generic commands and datarefs, so it could be handled at the same time in a single instrument without issue. We just have to implement some custom checking to be told when the specific aircraft is used or not, to avoid sending twice a similar command for example, otherwise using the default ones
Yes I know it’s certainly possible to code for multiple different aircraft including those that use custom stuff but that wasn’t really the point here. You originally mentioned making a generic instrument and a generic instrument by its definition does not use or cater for a specific custom aircraft. Seems Keith is on it anyhow.

SimPassion

#9 Post by SimPassion »

Sling wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 1:05 pm Yes I know it’s certainly possible to code for multiple different aircraft including those that use custom stuff but that wasn’t really the point here. You originally mentioned making a generic instrument and a generic instrument by its definition does not use or cater for a specific custom aircraft. Seems Keith is on it anyhow.
Sorry Tony, rather the other way round. Was initially specific and general handling was added later
In any case I've not ever thought to plan some dev on this current request, I think Keith gave the input and the OP has to go ahead on his own, with help of community as required

SimPassion

#10 Post by SimPassion »

There's also the Aerobask Lancair Legacy RG with DFC90 in it

https://aerobask.com/legacyRG.php

Usage of DFC90 shown here in XP11 :

https://youtu.be/ae-bHZVod-o?t=807

Last edited by SimPassion on Sat May 06, 2023 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.