Hall sensor

Support for Arduino in combination with Air Manager and Air Player

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Keith Baxter

Re: Hall sensor

#31 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

This is going OT here but when one is searching for product and comes upon something interesting, it is worth a share.

This might be of interest to others that want to build small steam gauges. @wendy you used these?
https://leobot.net/viewproduct.aspx?id=2697

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

Ralph

#32 Post by Ralph »

If the stepper lets you. Usually when it has no or not that many gears then it should be fine.

Ralph

#33 Post by Ralph »

Looks nice. But 'Stepper Angle: 18°' :? Meaning that it has only 20 steps?

Keith Baxter

#34 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

Back to the VID66-06. Can i read the values?
I want to read the value/position of the stepper so that I can write to a dataref. @Ralph @Corjan
What I am saying is. If we can write a value to the stepper position then we should be able to read that position.

hw_stepper_motor_position(my_stepper, my_position)
my_position = hw_stepper_motor_position_get(my_stepper)

If not can we please add to the todo list if it is possible. Of course it is a hurry up request please. :lol:

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

jph

#36 Post by jph »

Hi,
Seems to be a LOT of misunderstanding going on here.

for a closed loop stepper all you need is a TMC 220x controller (which can use the VID066 commands from AM) and a AS5600 at the end of the stepper motor. This is absolutely simple to mount and cost a few euros for the whole kit.

NO, you can't read position with AM VID066 commands which are actually just plain industry standard step and direction commands, nothing more.

It is REALLY simple. You send a direction output. then a step pulse (or number of) and then use the AS5600 to determine IF that actually happened so to account for missing pulses. You can read the AS5600 in many ways including directly into AM.

Mounting and using the AS5600 is simplicity itself and can and does fit virtually ANY nema stepper. (
Simply epoxy the small magnet(included) to the end of the shaft at the rear and mount the sensor above.

No changes need to made to AM.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

SimPassion

#37 Post by SimPassion »

jph wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:23 am .../...

Simply epoxy the small magnet(included) to the end of the shaft at the rear and mount the sensor above.

No changes need to made to AM.
Joe
Hi Joe, have you any simplified drawing or link, on the best practice around this point ? I'm also really interested myself, as I already read some articles on the net which mentioned issues on bad positioning

jph

#38 Post by jph »

Hi Gilles,
Well, as we all know the control of the TMC etc driver is straightforward in AM but you need to use the 'badly named' ((imho) vid066 commands as they are simple industry standard direction and pulse.

That all works fine.
But, to achieve a 'closed loop' all that means is that we ensure that if we said 'step 20 units forward' that we actual did step 20 units forward.
The AS5600 can answer this simple question for us. (the datasheet is a good example). Various outputs are available from digital to analogue. They can be read from and via AM.
So, if we know the stepper is 200 steps (1.8 degrees per step), and we send 200 pulses, then all we need to do is, after the 'send' to the TMCxxxx is look at the input/feedback from the AS5600 and ensure that the values match. If there is a discrepancy, then we add or subtract the missing values in steps and direction.
As said, send me your details via PM and I am happy to send you an AS5600 to play with. No worries :)
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Sling

#39 Post by Sling »

Keith Baxter wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:00 pm Hi,

Back to the VID66-06. Can i read the values?
I want to read the value/position of the stepper so that I can write to a dataref. @Ralph @Corjan
What I am saying is. If we can write a value to the stepper position then we should be able to read that position.

hw_stepper_motor_position(my_stepper, my_position)
my_position = hw_stepper_motor_position_get(my_stepper)

If not can we please add to the todo list if it is possible. Of course it is a hurry up request please. :lol:

Keith
Keith, Not quite following why you would need that because if you are already setting the position you should already know what you have set so can simply store that in a variable.

Ralph

#40 Post by Ralph »

Maybe he wants to know where it is, if let's say you go from 0.5 to 0.8. I guess that he wants to know where between 0.5 and 0.8 it is.