Wet / Magnetic Compass Questions

Support for Arduino in combination with Air Manager and Air Player

Moderators: russ, Ralph

bmooneyhan

Wet / Magnetic Compass Questions

#1 Post by bmooneyhan »

Hi all,

I went thru a ton of threads here discussing building a hardware compass using stepper motors. I have mine turning, but it doesn't behave as expected. Did anyone ever get one working well?

TY
Buddy

Ralph

Re: Wet / Magnetic Compass Questions

#2 Post by Ralph »

Did you write your own script or...?

bmooneyhan

#3 Post by bmooneyhan »

Hi Ralph,

I did write my own, very basic but I did get enough rotation to determine my step commands resulted in the desired amount of rotation, then I copied one from another thread I found here. Like many comments I've read here, it seems to be an issue of the rate of step commands sent to the stepper (4-wire ULN, no VID, etc). I've thought to either place the stepper updates in a timer to execute every 500 msec, or off-board the stepper updates via the message port. I had also thought that I could simulate the rotating drum of the wet compass in a small LCD screen, possibly even mimic the tilting of the drum during lateral motion, but this is a bit more out of my area of knowledge. I thought if anyone had this fully working perhaps they'd share the info. I like the idea of the LCD too, but I feel like it loses a bit of realism.

Thanks for your thoughts sir.

Keith Baxter

#4 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

There is a HW wet compass in the store,

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

bmooneyhan

#5 Post by bmooneyhan »

Hi Keith, I prefer to build my own, but what store?

TY

Keith Baxter

#6 Post by Keith Baxter »

bmooneyhan wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:30 pm Hi Keith, I prefer to build my own, but what store?

TY
Hi,

In the AM community store. Look in the HARDWARE Section.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

SimPassion

#7 Post by SimPassion »

bmooneyhan wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:30 pm Hi Keith, I prefer to build my own, but what store?

TY
It's written on the popup window title and we always referred to it as Store, already from the start, understand also "Storage", or as "Online Repository"

image.png

SimPassion

#8 Post by SimPassion »

Sorry Keith, posted at the same time

Ralph

#9 Post by Ralph »

You'll have to click 'More information' to see the whole title.

bmooneyhan

#10 Post by bmooneyhan »

Okay, so I found that, thank you. I'm getting the impression that the screenshot is for a new version of AM than I'm running (3.6), as I don't see the same screen. Are you saying that the hardware functionality exists to do this properly in AM 4.x?

Thank you again.

Buddy