Knob spin rate issue?

Support for KnobFS, share your experience and KnobFS modes.

Moderators: russ, Ralph

CuzDawg3

Knob spin rate issue?

#1 Post by CuzDawg3 »

First and foremost, THANK YOU. KnobFS has absolutely amplified my VR experience in MSFS. I love it and tout it to all my VR buddies. I love it! I just started using the BETA version to check out with the PMDG 737, and sure enough, it works. For giggles, I also confirmed functionality in the AS CRJ, FFS E175, FBW Neo, and I'll try the LSH MD-82 next time. However, one thing I noticed, and possibly user error, but when testing the Baro, AP Alt, AP Speed selections (only this time), a "spin" of the knob seems to jump at massive increments. (Tried in 737, CRJ, A20N) Ie, if I'm at 150kts and want to set 250kts, the first few slow clicks cycle 1kt acceptably, but then a faster rate spin causes the kts to jump 10, 15, 20 kts per click. The speed readout looked something like: 151, 152, 153, 154, 168, 186, 215, 248, 277. In other words, fine tuning is difficult. Is there a sensitivity tie in somewhere that I can adjust? For me, it's really just a nit though. The biggest game changer is setting coms so quickly in VR now, and what I use the knob for a majority of the time.

-CuzDawg

PS If there's anything I can do to help (sw testing), let me know!

Ralph

Re: Knob spin rate issue?

#2 Post by Ralph »

That's called 'acceleration' :) You can adjust it in the json files if you want. https://siminnovations.com/wiki/index.p ... nced_usage

CuzDawg3

#3 Post by CuzDawg3 »

Ralph wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:56 am That's called 'acceleration' :) You can adjust it in the json files if you want. https://siminnovations.com/wiki/index.p ... nced_usage
Nice! I blame my old eyes for missing that modifier in the bottom box. I'll go tweak the jsons that need it and report back if I have any issues. Thank you!

One question: it just says 1 = no acceleration. Is this value a boolean? If not, what's the range?

Ralph

#4 Post by Ralph »

I don't blame your eyes :) It is a bit hidden. The acceleration we came up with, might not work for every person and/or aircraft. So it can be that you will have to tweak.
Note that if there's an update, any changes will be overwritten. If you want to keep your changes, you will have to save it as a 'new' mode.

CuzDawg3

#5 Post by CuzDawg3 »

Finally getting around to trying out various spin accelerations. Ran into my first issue though trying to save the .json file. I'm just using ms notepad, but when I go to save, I get this:

Oddly, I have no issues opening or editing. I did check the permissions on the KnobFS\Aircraft folder, and I have full access.

Edit: I had MSFS open, so couldn't write to the folder. Once closed, I had no problems.

Still, a question: should I be able to edit with FS open, so I can test, tweak, save, test, etc? (I believe I saw somewhere that I can stop the service in an elevated command prompt with the sim running?)

Thanks!
Attachments
image.png
image.png (7.4 KiB) Viewed 1543 times
Last edited by CuzDawg3 on Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CuzDawg3

#6 Post by CuzDawg3 »

Just messing around with this and curious what the range of values are? It's hard to test, but it looks the same when using:
}, {
"name": "AP_ALTITUDE",
"enabled": true,
"major_acceleration": 15,
"minor_acceleration": 8
}, {
"name": "AP_SPEED",
"major_acceleration": 15,
"minor_acceleration": 8

or

}, {
"major_acceleration": 5,
"minor_acceleration": 2
}, {
"name": "AP_SPEED",
"minor_acceleration": 2

And appears that a value less than 1 causes massive "acceleration." Is this correct? This was my first test:
}, {
"minor_acceleration": 0.5

The small knob seems to jump a ton (otof 10k with a "fast" spin) and the large knob would only jump 2-4k with this setting. I figured higher numbers reduce the acceleration, but again, it's hard to tell without seeing raw data. BTW, this is all using the PMDG 737, so they probably implemented their own acceleration to mimic the real plane. The COM works absolutely beautifully. :)