Knobster on Mac not working

Support for the SimWareKits Knobster in combination with Air Manager and Air Player

Moderators: russ, Ralph

ldirksen

Knobster on Mac not working

#1 Post by ldirksen »

2021 M1 Mac, Ventura 13.2.1
Viewsonic TD2430 Touchscreen Monitor
X-Plane 12, Cirrus SR22, Air Plugin V 4.1.6
Air Manager 4.1.6
Knobster

PFD and MFD popped out to TD2430. Mouse click on Com and Nav rotaries functions as expected. First touch activates the rotary. Second touch alternates between #1 and #2 Nav (or Com). Inner small and outer large rings increment the frequencies
Finger touch on Com or Nav buttons produces a transient blue circle no yellow glow. Finger touch on inner and outer rings increment frequencies
On Knobster, push button and inner and outer rings do nothing: no activation of the control, no change from radio 1 to radio 2, no alteration of the frequencies

Air manager says Knobster connected. Can find no indication in X-plane that Knobster is recognized

Have tried changing start order: X-plane-Knobster-Air Manager, Air Manager-Knobster-X-plane. Neither order makes Knobster come alive.

I'm missing something here but am stumped. Any help greatly appreciated

Larry

Sling

Re: Knobster on Mac not working

#2 Post by Sling »

First up thanks for a detailed first post it helps having as much information as possible.

Secondly it seems you are saying you have a touch screen monitor working with Mac which unless I missed a recent update to MacOS i didn’t think was possible.

And lastly the important bit. Have you enabled the panel to use knobster. This is done in the panel settings and needs to be done for each panel.

SimPassion

#3 Post by SimPassion »

Sling wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:39 am First up thanks for a detailed first post it helps having as much information as possible.

Secondly it seems you are saying you have a touch screen monitor working with Mac which unless I missed a recent update to MacOS i didn’t think was possible.

And lastly the important bit. Have you enabled the panel to use knobster. This is done in the panel settings and needs to be done for each panel.
Hi Tony, I wasn't aware, however it look's like it's a new feature on MacOS :

https://www.macrumors.com/2023/01/11/to ... cs-report/

[EDIT] Well, after reading in deep, it seems not until 2025, so you're right Tony

image.png

"The first touchscreen Macs are likely to use macOS, as Apple is not actively working to combine iPadOS and macOS, according to the report. iPhone and iPad apps are available on Macs with Apple silicon chips, though, unless a developer opts out."

"Apple has repeatedly dismissed the idea of a touchscreen Mac over the years, so this would be a major reversal in philosophy for the company if it moves forward with these plans. In 2010, for example, Steve Jobs said that "touch surfaces don't want to be vertical" due to arm fatigue associated with holding up a finger to the screen. And in 2021, Apple's hardware engineering chief John Ternus said the Mac was "totally optimized for indirect input" and said the company did not feel there was a good reason to change that at the time."

It looks like a touch feature was already present on part of the screen :

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-hel ... d5b039/mac
https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-hel ... 0bb3ee/mac

Last edited by SimPassion on Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sling

#4 Post by Sling »

Touch built in to a Mac is one thing but with a Viewsonic touch monitor is something else. If this is for real then it’s about time Apple. Better late than never.

SimPassion

#5 Post by SimPassion »

Sling wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:31 am Touch built in to a Mac is one thing but with a Viewsonic touch monitor is something else. If this is for real then it’s about time Apple. Better late than never.
I've just edited my previous post, it appears you're right Tony, not available until 2025, as mentioned through links

ldirksen

#6 Post by ldirksen »

Thank you Sling and SimPassion for quick replies
ViewSonic offers software labeled vTouch Support that 'allows for touch feedback control for external monitors connected to a Mac'. I assume this software only functions with ViewSonic monitors.
I have popped out the PFD and MFD to my TD 2430 monitor. I have not created a panel, either for the Mac's display or for the monitor. Is this something I must do to enable Knobster?

SimPassion

#7 Post by SimPassion »

ldirksen wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:04 pm Thank you Sling and SimPassion for quick replies
ViewSonic offers software labeled vTouch Support that 'allows for touch feedback control for external monitors connected to a Mac'. I assume this software only functions with ViewSonic monitors.
I have popped out the PFD and MFD to my TD 2430 monitor. I have not created a panel, either for the Mac's display or for the monitor. Is this something I must do to enable Knobster?
The question is : is AM/AP able to receive Touch input from a MacOS @Corjan @Ralph ?

Sling

#8 Post by Sling »

SimPassion wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:31 pm The question is : is AM/AP able to receive Touch input from a MacOS @Corjan @Ralph ?
The OP said it works with the Viewsonic in the first post. Not sure how they are doing that when the IS does not currently support it. Good to see that it’s moving towards a native solution.

Sling

#9 Post by Sling »

ldirksen wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:04 pm Thank you Sling and SimPassion for quick replies
Yes. Knobster only works with panels. Remember to setup the panel also to use the knobster.

Ralph

#10 Post by Ralph »

It's all explained in the video.