Trick against stucking flight controls when mousepointer at cutout

Help and techniques for creating Air Manager Instrument Graphics

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Puukka

Trick against stucking flight controls when mousepointer at cutout

#1 Post by Puukka »

Hi

If you, as me are using mouse instead of touch, and stay with the mousepointer at a pop-out panel cutout, the flight controls will be stuck (MSFS issue).
My trick is, I fill the cutouts with a layer of 99% transparency, you won´t see, but the flight controls don´t get stuck.

With all these glass cockpits as example the Cirrus Jet this gets more important.

Regards,
Herbert
Last edited by Puukka on Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herbert Puukka

MSFS - CRJ, X-Plane - Citation X, Air Manager, FSHud, Navigraph

SimPassion

Re: Trick against stucking flight controls when mousepointer at cutout

#2 Post by SimPassion »

Puukka wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:48 am Hi

If you, as me are using mouse instead of touch, and stay with the mousepointer at a drop-out panel cutout, the flight controls will be stuck (MSFS issue).
My trick is, I fill the cutouts with a layer of 99% transparency, you won´t see, but the flight controls don´t get stuck.

With all these glass cockpits as example the Cirrus Jet this gets more important.

Regards,
Herbert
Hi Herbert,

did you mean with a panel over the sim display, or rather on a second monitor ?
Just interested on how is the situation and which workaround you suggested ...

Gilles

Puukka

#3 Post by Puukka »

Salut Gilles

This issue is only when you have the pop-outs on another monitor than the sim. Then, if you leave the mousepointer on them, the flight controls and throttle won‘t move at the sim. Same when you have a cutout of your AM overlay, as the PFD frame or CDU overlay.
The trick is, when you fill the cutout with 1% of a color, it‘s not blocking the controls.
But it’s also not clickable…if you need to click on these displays, you need to leave a small window, as I did with the Mustang G1000 ND frame or MD-80 ND (clickable at the upper right corner), will attach these in the evening here.

Kind regards, Herbert
Last edited by Puukka on Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herbert Puukka

SimPassion

#4 Post by SimPassion »

Puukka wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:08 pm Salut Gilles

This issue is only when you have the drop outs on another monitor than the sim. Then, if you leave the mousepointer on them, the flight controls and throttle won‘t move at the sim. Same when you have a cutout of your AM overlay, as the PFD frame or CDU overlay.
The trick is, when you fill the cutout with 1% of a color, it‘s not blocking the controls.
But it’s also not clickable…if you need to click on these displays, you need to leave a small window, as I did with the Mustang G1000 ND frame or MD-80 ND (clickable at the upper right corner), will attach these in the evening here.

Kind regards, Herbert
Thanks Herbert for clarifying, such issue is indeed annoying, just the same with joystick input we also miss when the mouse cursor is acting on another application on a second monitor, not sure if the fix is planned in MSFS at some point ...
Anyway, I will have a look into this, I hope I will be able to reproduce your fix as you've described
Thanks again for starting this thread
Gilles

Puukka

#5 Post by Puukka »

Here are two examples if someone needs a template.
The PFD cutout is filled with 1% of black colour, The ND has a small window at the upper right corner for clicking through left (hard to see :D )

Kind regards,
Herbert
PFD.png
ND.png
MD-80 - PFD.siff
(165.66 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
MD-80 - ND.siff
(111.7 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
Last edited by Puukka on Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herbert Puukka

Crunchmeister

#6 Post by Crunchmeister »

I'm trying to raise awareness of this long-standing bug directly with the devs in the devsupport forum. Hopefully they can take this seriously and finally fix this long-standing UI bug so these workarounds are no longer required.
- Ryzen 5950x, 64GB 3600MHz RAM, RTX3070Ti

Simstrumentation Instrument dev
Free Air Manager instruments for MSFS available at http://www.simstrumentation.com

Sling

#7 Post by Sling »

Is this not claimed to be fixed in SU12. I thought I saw it listed in the release notes just after the popout feature change.

Puukka

#8 Post by Puukka »

Ha, thanks Tony, I have to confess, didn´t try after yesterday´s update. Will do in the evening....
Could it be that?
"With multi-layout screens cockpits, mouse collision for glass cockpit externalization is now received only by the current active glass cockpit."
Herbert Puukka

Sling

#9 Post by Sling »

Yes that’s the one I saw but it’s not that clear what the fix is. It just sounded a bit like what we know as the mouse focus controls bug. Be sure to let us know if it makes any difference.