Wrapped scroll is not nice!

Support for KnobFS, share your experience and KnobFS modes.

Moderators: russ, Ralph

GregWoodsLancs

Wrapped scroll is not nice!

#1 Post by GregWoodsLancs »

Maybe it's just me, but I've done some work in UI, so I think I have a sound basis for disliking the "wrapping" of the scrollable list of controls in knobster.
1. If you are looking for something you may loop though the list more than once before you realise you are viewing the same options again.
2. It is impossible to form a mental map of where an option is. With a non wrapping list, it wouldn't take to long for muscle memory to kick in and to know that Autopilot HDG (for example) is 3 from the botton. You could select that without even reading the text. A long rotate to the right to ensure you are at the botton of this list, then 3 clicks back.

There may be a case for wrapping when the list is extremely long, but I'm still not convinced.

Although I hate adding setting to software (it is usually a way for the developer to avoid making a hard design decision), in this case it would be an interesting one to add and get some feedback.

SimPassion

Re: Wrapped scroll is not nice!

#2 Post by SimPassion »

+1
Fully agree with this, always found KnobXP a great addition to the sim, though this behavior is still quite annoying through time
Last edited by SimPassion on Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Malaromane

#3 Post by Malaromane »

I'll be the voice of dissent and say that I *like* the wrapping list but I can understand why others wouldn't.

SimPassion

#4 Post by SimPassion »

Malaromane wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:33 pm I'll be the voice of dissent and say that I *like* the wrapping list but I can understand why others wouldn't.
So should be an option in KnobXP to fulfill anyone taste