Mac Integration

Peer support for Air Manager desktop users

Moderators: russ, Ralph

strop

Mac Integration

#1 Post by strop »

Hi all,

I am seeking some help/advice on the integration of AM in a Mac environment with iPads.

I have seen/read about AM in a windows environment using Spacedesk and attaching iPads (single & multiple) so that panels can be displayed. Unfortunately Spacedesk is not available on a Mac.

I have found software that allows the sharing of windows on a Mac (not an additional monitor). Still looking at software solutions BTW.

So I suppose my questions are:

1. I make the assumption that an iPad will retain its touch functionality in whatever environment it is used. Correct?

2. Can multiple panels be opened in windows (to be shared) by Air Manager or does it need individual monitors.

3. What software are Mac users using to get their panels up on additional screens or iPads?

4. If anyone is using Duet Display (subscription based) - can it have more than one display attached?

5. Is anyone using knobster in a Mac environment who can point me to or supply further help.

Thanks

Laurie

Mickolodias

Re: Mac Integration

#2 Post by Mickolodias »

Hi Strop

Yep - 2 ways I've used an iPad as extended monitor on my mac:
- Duet display - as you've mentioned. It's free as long as your happy connecting to you mac with a cable
- or with what used to be called sidecar https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT210380.
Both only let you connect one device at a time. But you can use both methods at the same time to get 2 ipads connected.

And yes you can have many panels open at once and spread across as many monitiors as you have connected.

Using sidecar/duet you can still touch the ipad, however touching controls the mouse. So if you've got the mouse on another monitor and a different app has focus (ie. X-Plane) the first tap gets focus back to Air Manager, the second will do whaterver you're tapping on.
i found a much better touch experience using the AirManger iPad app, the only downside is if you make custom instruments which is a long process for them to be updated on the iPad.
I'm one of 'those' mac guys. (and I have no idea why I can't afford to eat)