Sharing Air Player on two different simulators

Support for Air Player desktop.

Moderators: russ, Ralph

FlyerDavidUK

Sharing Air Player on two different simulators

#1 Post by FlyerDavidUK »

I have my own simulator at home and also manage an X-plane simulator at the flying club. We've bought a Raspberry Pi to run a couple of additional touchscreens for the club system, and I want to configure/develop this using my home simulator mainly to save time and be more efficient. It would only ever be used at one or other location and will reside primarily at the club once I have it setup.

I've bought an Air Player licence for the club and also a separate one for home.

My question is whether this will work such that both simulators will be happy with me swapping the Pi between club and home system occasionally, and the Air Player licences won't need reactivating each time.

Am I right in thinking that the licence is associated with the Air Manager installation that knows the hardware ID of the Raspberry PI, rather than being downloaded and built into the Pi itself?
UK Private pilot and flight instructor with CPL/IR/FI/IRI approx 2000 hours offering remote flight instruction via Zoom
See my FlyerDavidUK.com website for trip reports around Europe/US, my training experience and services offered

jph

Re: Sharing Air Player on two different simulators

#2 Post by jph »

FlyerDavidUK wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:46 pm I have my own simulator at home and also manage an X-plane simulator at the flying club. We've bought a Raspberry Pi to run a couple of additional touchscreens for the club system, and I want to configure/develop this using my home simulator mainly to save time and be more efficient. It would only ever be used at one or other location and will reside primarily at the club once I have it setup.

I've bought an Air Player licence for the club and also a separate one for home.

My question is whether this will work such that both simulators will be happy with me swapping the Pi between club and home system occasionally, and the Air Player licences won't need reactivating each time.

Am I right in thinking that the licence is associated with the Air Manager installation that knows the hardware ID of the Raspberry PI, rather than being downloaded and built into the Pi itself?
Hi David, I presume you are using a commercial version of AM for the 'club' ? (which is a business)- so things would be different.
Do you also use a commercial license for your 'online' training for which you charge money? - (I must confess I am not sure how that would work)
I am sure @Ralph could help here
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

FlyerDavidUK

Re: Sharing Air Player on two different simulators

#3 Post by FlyerDavidUK »

Yes, the club has bought a professional licence, both X-plane and Air Manager/Air Player.

When conducting remote coaching, the client uses their own simulator, not mine. They are not using it for commercial purposes, and I am simply guiding them on how to set it up and make use of it. I strongly recommend Air Manager to all my students and flying friends who invest in their own simulators, and have been surprised at how many sim owners haven't heard of it before.

At home, I have a regular licence and spend most of my time on it developing scenery and more recently Air Manager instruments which I have contributed to the community, plus a little bit of personal flying to keep myself current and try out new aircraft for fun.

I could see that swapping the same Pi between a professional and home simulator might not work. I've just figured out that there are different software downloads for the two different products.
UK Private pilot and flight instructor with CPL/IR/FI/IRI approx 2000 hours offering remote flight instruction via Zoom
See my FlyerDavidUK.com website for trip reports around Europe/US, my training experience and services offered