Feature: Panel Folders

Let Sim Innovations know about your Air Manager experience and let us know about your dream feature addition

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Keith Baxter

Re: Feature: Panel Folders

#51 Post by Keith Baxter »

Corjan wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:22 pm Hi,

Not sure why the home tab would need grouping, but that is besides the point I think.

You seem to imply that everything that is requested from the user base should be implemented?
Don't we have a say in it as the developers? :)

Corjan

Hi,

No, everything requested should be taken on it's merit.

Tomorrow is a new day. Sleep on it over Christmas and I am sure you will come up with something to please us all.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

SimPassion

#52 Post by SimPassion »

Yes, though keep in mind this current subject and only this specific subject, would deserve to be taken in deep reflection starting next year
Help the minority 1% to help the majority and the sellers ... just my two cents ;-)

Ralph

#53 Post by Ralph »

There aren't many developers that have so much interaction with their customers. Throughout the years we have added tons of feature requests. Right now you're making it sound like we completely ignore our customers.
You have to consider that this is basically a one man operation on the software development side. Development time is valuable, so we cannot always satisfy each and every one.

Keith Baxter

#54 Post by Keith Baxter »

Ralph wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:10 pm There aren't many developers that have so much interaction with their customers. Throughout the years we have added tons of feature requests. Right now you're making it sound like we completely ignore our customers.
You have to consider that this is basically a one man operation on the software development side. Development time is valuable, so we cannot always satisfy each and every one.
Hi,

No Ralph, we fully understand. All we ask is for some help in making things easier for us to develop panels and instruments for the community.
We are tying to assist and make AM a happy place for users and dev's. We are not throwing mud pies at you guys. We appreciate all you guys do.

Late tomorrow you will have a mock-up of my vision for the home tab. It is going to be my version and all can take it from there if there is appetite. I will then do the create/edit version if the appetite there. This might be after the festive season. Depending on how much time my family allows me to wright code. ;)

Keith
Last edited by Keith Baxter on Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

SimPassion

#55 Post by SimPassion »

Ralph wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:10 pm There aren't many developers that have so much interaction with their customers. Throughout the years we have added tons of feature requests. Right now you're making it sound like we completely ignore our customers.
Sorry I don't discuss in anyway previous features which were added, even those following requests, none of this came into question here.
Never said SI is ignoring requests, though I wouldn't read this one has been ignored ... [EDIT] corrected Typo
Yes it sounds like for this specific request that a few of us get the same expectation, so I'm fully in agreement which such honest correlated requirement across different round up opinions.
Consider it as a major priority were a one development man would delaying other less priority tasks in the workflow. After all other tasks could very well be postponed in such understandable and acceptable situation which I will never forget and has already been experienced in the past, so really achievable in any case. [EDIT] corrected Typo

Tetrachromat

#56 Post by Tetrachromat »

At least in my version of 4.1.6 you can do grouping in the Home tab. Just add some name into that new 'Group' field in the 'General settings' and a group branch with that name is added in the left hand tree, listing all panels with that same group name.
Enhanced_UI.png
How is that you can't do it? Oh well its just in my imagination.

But, wouldn't that be sufficient and please the casual user as well as the advanced few?

Paul

Keith Baxter

#57 Post by Keith Baxter »

Tetrachromat wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:25 pm At least in my version of 4.1.6 you can do grouping in the Home tab. Just add some name into that new 'Group' field in the 'General settings' and a group branch with that name is added in the left hand tree, listing all panels with that same group name.

Enhanced_UI.png

How is that you can't do it? Oh well its just in my imagination.

But, wouldn't that be sufficient and please the casual user as well as the advanced few?

Paul
Yes that is exactly what we want. Simply add a group icon and name it groups
to the <ACTIONS> bar.
group.png
group.png (1.77 KiB) Viewed 692 times
ice_screenshot_20221221-233736.png
With a popup to add/remove panels to a group or create a new group.

Keith

Tetrachromat

#58 Post by Tetrachromat »

Why would you need an additional icon in the tool bar, when you have that group field in the panel settings? The groups are created automatically by AM if the field is not empty.

Keith Baxter

#59 Post by Keith Baxter »

Tetrachromat wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:51 pm Why would you need an additional icon in the tool bar, when you have that group field in the panel settings? The groups are created automatically by AM if the field is not empty.
Hi,

Not sure I understand. Where is this found?
when you have that group field in the panel settings
What happens if one wants to add a panel to two or more groups? Not that this would be the norm and used mush at this time. But AM is growing super fast on the dev side.

The icon was meant more for grouping instruments in create/edit. Synergy across both [Home] and [Create/Edit] tabs is important.

Tetrachromat

#60 Post by Tetrachromat »

Keith Baxter wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:05 pm
Not sure I understand. Where is this found?
when you have that group field in the panel settings
:D as I said in my prior post 'it's just in my imagination'. I wanted to let you participate in my dreams :idea: .