Feature: Panel Folders

Let Sim Innovations know about your Air Manager experience and let us know about your dream feature addition

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Keith Baxter

Re: Feature: Panel Folders

#61 Post by Keith Baxter »

Tetrachromat wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:18 pm
Keith Baxter wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:05 pm
Not sure I understand. Where is this found?
when you have that group field in the panel settings
:D as I said in my prior post 'it's just in my imagination'. I wanted to let you participate in my dreams :idea: .
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok you had me searching all over the AM UI. :oops: :oops:

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

Sling

#62 Post by Sling »

Tetrachromat wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:25 pm At least in my version of 4.1.6 you can do grouping in the Home tab. Just add some name into that new 'Group' field in the 'General settings' and a group branch with that name is added in the left hand tree, listing all panels with that same group name.

Enhanced_UI.png

How is that you can't do it? Oh well its just in my imagination.

But, wouldn't that be sufficient and please the casual user as well as the advanced few?

Paul
Corjan,

What Paul has mocked up here is exactly my interpretation of what Rob asked for originally for the Home tab. This is not a 1% dev thing at all. It benefits everyone. With this, if say you have 3 panels for a particular aircraft you put them in a group and start all 3 together with a single click. On top of that it keeps the list smaller. Also this would be optional. You can carry on using the Home tab the way we currently do if you don’t add any aircraft groups. Thus suits all users.

I see the Create/Edit requests in a similar vain. Some software has user modes to enable a simpler UI for basic users and more advanced features for those that want them. The main issue with create/edit is the sheer number of instruments in there. If you want to keep it simple I think there just needs to be a way to hide stuff that is no longer in development but is still needed for display in the Home tab. All this stuff currently still has to reside in the create/edit tab. For pay panels the instruments are not seen in Create/edit. If there was a way to also hide selected non pay instruments that would certainly help with the massive list in Create/edit. You would of course need a way of un-hiding them if you needed to do an update.

Sling

#63 Post by Sling »

What about something like this. All Imports will be to the 'Completed' list. Exports can be from either. The Completed list would not show the dev panes such as the editor, console etc but instead perhaps a preview and summary of the instrument located in the right side pane. The 'In Development' List would retain all the current dev tools. To move instruments between the 'Completed' and 'In Development' lists could be done with a (Move to 'Completed') or (Move to 'In Development) item in the context menu.

create_edit UI.png

Keith Baxter

#64 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

Ok what Paul and Tony have mocked up is exactly what I am saying. I will not waist my time doing a simulation as the point is clearly made.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

jph

#65 Post by jph »

Hey, isn't it time for a new survey of user requirements and usage ? ;)

There may be VAST amounts of 'new' items in the 'store' from a very small group of 'users' who may call themselves 'devs' that may well be producing huge amounts of input - which is it ? (quantity v quality) or (quality v quantity) - let the users decide. ... BUT ! - How many actually USE them, want them, download them and then use them ?. We have users who, for instance, have decided to take on the job of 'collating' and vetting submissions. Whilst this is entirely admirable then their requirements for a UI is not at all totally representative and is potentially skewed. Yet 'their input is hammered home like a square peg in a round hole and is a classic example of the fringe requirement that has a loud platform but could make the UI far worse for the vast majority of users.

There are a heck of a lot of users who do NOT submit their superb work to the 'store' yet still use AM to produce amazing work.

A nice survey to ask ALL users (who bother to answer) what they would like, what they use, what sim, OS. etc.
We had one before.

I think before the asylum is taken over by the - 'luna' -- err lets say - 'inmates' we could have a nice generic survey for all users - in all aspects of AM.
We have had one before. It is time for another.
Just imho of course.

Lets have a nice long list of questions for the survey but from ONLY the developers. (of AM) !!! ;)

Again, jmho. Of course.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

SimPassion

#66 Post by SimPassion »

Sling wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:05 am What about something like this. All Imports will be to the 'Completed' list. Exports can be from either. The Completed list would not show the dev panes such as the editor, console etc but instead perhaps a preview and summary of the instrument located in the right side pane. The 'In Development' List would retain all the current dev tools. To move instruments between the 'Completed' and 'In Development' lists could be done with a (Move to 'Completed') or (Move to 'In Development) item in the context menu.

create_edit UI.png
Good starting point, additionally we would get it the same way for Panels
So, a suggestion based on it, in order to reduce additional lines in the drop-down list :

Instrument - In Development o | o Completed -- with radio buttons in the middle
Panel - In Development o | o Completed -- with radio buttons in the middle

Corjan

#67 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

Have to agree with Joe on this one. The sentiment here is purely from a dev perspective.

When we are exhibiting, I always ask existing AM users what they want.
Almost unanemously they say more panels :). Seems like always their facorite aircraft is missing.

Doing a survey is a smart thing I think, gives more insight,

Corjan

SimPassion

#68 Post by SimPassion »

Still the 99% against the 1%
Guess who win ... :lol:

That's it : subject close, please return to your own concern requesters :roll: (in any case if it has been understood in another way and further was only a joke, don't take it for serious in this post) [EDIT] Post edited in the meaning and precision added
Last edited by SimPassion on Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Corjan

#69 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

This is like the perfect argument for me to deny all request ;)

Corjan

SimPassion

#70 Post by SimPassion »

Corjan wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:52 pm Hi,

This is like the perfect argument for me to deny all request ;)

Corjan
Please re read my previous post just edited, in case there was any weird confusion