Knobster with the C172 NG DIGITAL 2D panels ?

Support for KnobXP, share your experience and KnobXP modes.

Moderators: russ, Ralph

XPLOU

Knobster with the C172 NG DIGITAL 2D panels ?

#1 Post by XPLOU »

Just got a Knobster and was wondering if anyone has been able to get it to work with the popup 2D panels for the C172 NG DIGITAL. I figured since the aircraft already comes with a bunch of nice 2D panels that it would be great if I could get the KnobXP software to let me interact with those. I click on a knob on the 2D panel with the mouse and then I can control it with the Knobster.

Before I embark on playing around with configurations/json files and all that I just want to know if it's even doable.

Thanks!

Ralph

Re: Knobster with the C172 NG DIGITAL 2D panels ?

#3 Post by Ralph »

Those aren't Air Manager panels, so that will not work with the Knobster.

XPLOU

#4 Post by XPLOU »

Hi Ralph,

Thank for the response!

As far as I understand it the KnobXP plugin was created so that you could use the knob directly in the sim, not only on an air manager panel:

"Only works with Air Manager and Air Player for Desktop, our KnobXP plugin for X-Plane 11 and 12 (VR), and KnobFS for Microsoft Flight Simulator (VR)"

Using the popup KnobXP panel inside the SIM lets me select, say, "Garmin G1000 Unit 2 Zoom", and when I turn the outer and inner knobs the map on the second G1000 2d panel (and the one on the 3d cockpit) does indeed zoom in and out as expected. I then select "COM2 Freq" and turn the knobs and I do see that change on both the 2d panel and cockpit, all with no air manager installed at all.

It seems that, at a minimum, I should be able to create additional options on the KnobXP plugin to control things not currently on the available list of options. So more searching got me this:

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/f ... tion-files

There is an Airfoillabs Cessna 172SP.json file available there for additional definitions and that looks like it might do the trick or at least get me in the right direction.

Sling

#5 Post by Sling »

It will probably be better to modify the existing instruments that are already there to work with whatever custom data this version may be using. You never know they might be using standard datarefs so the instruments will just work as is. This will obviously end up giving a nicer experience. KnobXP is primarily designed for use with VR.

XPLOU

#6 Post by XPLOU »

Hi Sling.

Thanks for the reply!

Pardon my ignorance as I'm pretty new to X-Plane in general. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "modify the existing instruments that are already there". Do you mean two G1000 panels that are defined in the aircraft folder itself?
\Aircraft\Airfoillabs\C172 NG DIGITAL
I don't see anything in there that might be those panels.

I have 3 monitors for the 3d cockpit and a lower, central touch-screen monitor to display panels on. I can manipulate the panels two different ways with stock (no Knob XP):
* I can hover the mouse over a knob and get the curved directional arrows, then click to turn it that direction. That works but very finicky and takes a long time to manipulate.
* I can press on the outer ring/inner ring with my finger to get the directional arrows to popup then slide my finger out a bit and do a clockwise/counter-clockwise motion to turn the know. That also works but also finiky to deal with.

I get the VR aspect you mentioned. The Knob XP page does say "KnobXP lets you use the Knobster within X-Plane 11 and 12, both in normal mode and VR mode." so it's not necessarily just for VR so I figured I would see how far I could take a Knob XP in normal mode.

After more research I found this:

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/f ... tion-files

which needs this to work so installed that as well:

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/f ... in-lin-mac

After getting everything setup, and some trial and error with all of the various JSON files, I was able to get most functions on the G1000 panels controllable through the Knob. You get the Knob XP popup panel and when you click on the function with the mouse you are able to use the Knob for control. It actually works quite well and I think that is essentially the same interface you have in VR? Certainly much better than using a mouse or finger. The difference being I have to grab the mouse and click on the function - would have been almost perfect if I could get that Knob XP panel to slide onto the 2D panel touch screen so I could just use my finger on the screen to select the function, but that only works if I switch the bottom monitor to full 3d cockpit mode and use windowed panels, which steals quite a bit of FPS. Now I'm wondering if I can get the Knob XP software to work as a 2D panel :-P so I can plant it on that fourth monitor.

It's not quite as convenient as an air manager panel. I do have one that I had made for a standard 172 that runs on an iPad, and I could just as easily run it on my laptop (not the desktop running x-plane itself) and hook that up to the touchscreen and get the full Knob XP experience of being able to press a knob on the touch screen, have it turn yellow, and use the Knob to manipulate it.

I was just trying to see how close to that I could get without using air manager at all. Can't get to 100% since I can't actually touch the knob on the touchscreen, I have to click on the function in the Knob XP panel.

See pics for my setup showing it "working".

So I guess my alternative is to ditch Knob XP, setup air manager on the laptop on the touch screen, find/buy/create all of the 2D panels (pics of which @SimPassion was very kind to post -thanks!) as air manager panels ?
20221217_143641_2.jpg

SimPassion

#7 Post by SimPassion »

XPLOU wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:24 am Hi Sling.

Thanks for the reply!

Pardon my ignorance as I'm pretty new to X-Plane in general. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "modify the existing instruments that are already there".
Tony is mentioning the existing instruments in Air Manager

There, we already get the 3 steam gauges, the trim wheel, the G1000 bezel and the fuel gauges. The flaps gauge and the throttle have to be merged and adapted. I guess other panels exists in similar or approaching design and requires a bit of more reworking

In Air Manager, please browse all existing instruments list using the Download icon from [Create/Edit] tab

image.png

XPLOU

#8 Post by XPLOU »

OK. Cool. I get it now.

Sling

#9 Post by Sling »

I was generally just saying that the experience will be nicer using touch instruments with the knobster rather than still having to select from the KnobXP list. Adding what’s missing shouldn’t be too hard.

XPLOU

#10 Post by XPLOU »

I see.

I did buy a copy of Air Manager desktop for Windows since the version I had was for an iPad. I can plug the Knobster into the laptop. I'll run the central touch screen from the laptop for anything with knobs.

I can run other panels on the iPad that only require touch, or run my Garmin Pilot on it.

I appreciate all of the help!

I'll touch base back here once I have everything setup, but that could be weeks given the holiday season :-)