7 segment display Pin outs?

Are you building a cockpit, planning to build one or just dreaming, this is your cockpit builder meeting point

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Kaellis991

Re: 7 segment display Pin outs?

#161 Post by Kaellis991 »

@SimPassion

Thanks for all that. I think I have a good handle on it. But more questions will no doubt arise later.

What I wanted to do, to make things less confusing, was to change the ID name for "hw_chr_display_add" to something other than com2_actv.
When I saw line 19 I was wondering why does it say com2_actv and then nav2_val.

Then it dawned on me that the ID name com2_actv is for the complete radio...both com and nav sides of the same radio.
And that ID is used for both the com2 coding and the nav2 coding.
That name can be anything and I think changing it to something that is more descriptive of the overall radio would show that it is a variable used in both the com and nav coding..

image.png

jph

#162 Post by jph »

Kaellis991 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:21 pm @SimPassion

Thanks for all that. I think I have a good handle on it. But more questions will no doubt arise later.

What I wanted to do, to make things less confusing, was to change the ID name for "hw_chr_display_add" to something other than com2_actv.
When I saw line 19 I was wondering why does it say com2_actv and then nav2_val.

Then it dawned on me that the ID name com2_actv is for the complete radio...both com and nav sides of the same radio.
And that ID is used for both the com2 coding and the nav2 coding.
That name can be anything and I think changing it to something that is more descriptive of the overall radio would show that it is a variable used in both the com and nav coding..

image.png
I like your thinking Kirk, you seem to be getting a good grasp now. Yes, the naming is something useful to you and can be changed as required.
Nice one :D
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Kaellis991

#163 Post by Kaellis991 »

As first glance the ID name confused me....but I am easily baffled.

Keith Baxter

#164 Post by Keith Baxter »

Kaellis991 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:50 pm As first glance the ID name confused me....but I am easily baffled.
It was my bad. I should have changed it. I simply built on from the very first basic com1 code. But you got the idea.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

Kaellis991

#165 Post by Kaellis991 »

Absolutely no big deal....just need to keep things organized in my head.

Kaellis991

#166 Post by Kaellis991 »

I thought I would post an update.
Both displays are working as they should be.

Thanks to all who helped with this radio build.

SimPassion

#167 Post by SimPassion »

Just to post a screenshot for reference with standard pinout in similar LEDs display modules (3641AS in the case below), as of Kirk's ones
3641AS - 4 digits 7 segment LEDs display module with 12 default pins which may be plugged on MAX7219 boards
Just unplugged one from my MAX7219 boards :

Standard_7_segment_displays_Standard_pinout.jpg

SimPassion

#168 Post by SimPassion »

Here's a clear and concise description of the use of 3641AS and similar with less or more digits, with direct connection to Arduino boards, which requires additional transistors and resistors, as already suggested by Joe

http://www.learningaboutelectronics.com ... rduino.php

Kaellis991

#169 Post by Kaellis991 »

I have a question.
To take this radio build a step closer to a more professional implementation and to avoid having to use connectors, wires and stacked perfboards, could I use this diagram to create my own PCB (using EasyEDA and JLCPCB for fabrication) and utilizing one of the max7219 ICs that I have?
The wiring cross connections for the two (3) digit displays could be done on the PCB...correct?
I am guessing that I could then place the two displays close together using a customized board.

image.png

SimPassion

#170 Post by SimPassion »

Kaellis991 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:40 pm I have a question.
To take this radio build a step closer to a more professional implementation and to avoid having to use connectors, wires and stacked perfboards, could I use this diagram to create my own PCB (using EasyEDA and JLCPCB for fabrication) and utilizing one of the max7219 ICs that I have?
The wiring cross connections for the two (3) digit displays could be done on the PCB...correct?
I am guessing that I could then place the two displays close together using a customized board.
Well Kirk, I found an issue in the diagram, for me there's no reason for which the ISET line should intersect with the G segment and the R1 10K resistor up to VCC
So I would wait a little until others provide confirmation on this here ... !???