7 segment display Pin outs?

Are you building a cockpit, planning to build one or just dreaming, this is your cockpit builder meeting point

Moderators: russ, Ralph

jph

Re: 7 segment display Pin outs?

#201 Post by jph »

Hi Keith, no worries,
The 7219 code has 16 levels of brightness built in (which is why the RSet is so important is it sets the TOTAL maximum PEAK MUX CURRENT and we can always reduce from there.
From the peak current in the multiplexer we have 16 levels (in AM referenced as between 0 and 1). It is still broken down into a maximum of 16 levels though as that is how the 7219 works at register level.
You can use this code directly for overall brightness or dimming of per instrument
It is also possible to use a fixed and a variable resistor and achieve a similar result (per instrument) with an analogue input that totally bypasses AM ! - if you want more details then just let me know..
Thanks for clarifying.
Hope you are having a good new year ?
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Kaellis991

#202 Post by Kaellis991 »

An update on my NAV / COMM radio build.

It's been nothing short of an epic failure trying to utilize those display modules with the machine pin connections.
Until I can get the experience (if ever) to build my own circuit board, this project will be relegated to the dustbin.
A friggin' waste of money, time and effort...all for naught.

Thanks again to all who helped me get this far.

Kirk

SimPassion

#203 Post by SimPassion »

Kaellis991 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:10 pm An update on my NAV / COMM radio build.

It's been nothing short of an epic failure trying to utilize those display modules with the machine pin connections.
Until I can get the experience (if ever) to build my own circuit board, this project will be relegated to the dustbin.

Thanks again to all who helped me get this far.

Kirk
Very sorry to hear this Kirk, indeed a nice project you've started in any case !
Don't give up, electronic design could be a bit frustrating sometime, until we find our own better way and solution.

Gilles

Kaellis991

#204 Post by Kaellis991 »

Gilles,

Thanks for the words of encouragement.
Unfortunately, I have no confidence in getting this radio built. These crappy display modules with the machine pin connections are incredibly unreliable and useless.
It's 2 months of wasted time that I will never get back.

The only path forward is to design and build my own circuit board but I don't see that happening without a degree in electronic engineering.

Easiest thing to do would be to just shell out $600.00 for a flight illusion radio....or just altogether forget about having a second Nav/Comm radio.
And I was so looking forward to getting this radio working....until today.

SimPassion

#205 Post by SimPassion »

Kaellis991 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:31 pm Gilles,

Thanks for the words of encouragement.
Unfortunately, I have no confidence in getting this radio built. These crappy display modules with the machine pin connections are incredibly unreliable and useless.
It's 2 months of wasted time that I will never get back.

The only path forward is to design and build my own circuit board but I don't see that happening without a degree in electronic engineering.

Easiest thing to do would be to just shell out $600.00 for a flight illusion radio....or just altogether forget about having a second Nav/Comm radio.
And I was so looking forward to getting this radio working....until today.
You've done the main part, the experiment and issue on electronic are also parts which helps enhance our knowledge and skill
for each simmer, there's time where we construct and when we see unexpected result, we deconstruct, this isn't an issue at all

I guess you're very near to achieve on the NAV/COM radios ! ;)

Last edited by SimPassion on Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ralph

#206 Post by Ralph »

Kaellis991

#207 Post by Kaellis991 »

Ralph,

I have been focused on using the smaller format with the .2" characters.
But those do not come with a pre-made IC board.
The focus has been on using the 8 digit detachable board and offsetting the connections with a stacked board and machine pins to the 6 digit module.
It almost works but the multiple machine pins are not very reliable and the display works intermittently.

If I can redesign my panel, perhaps the modules with the (8) .36" characters could work by not using the the left most digit as well as the (2) right most digits.

That might be an option once I can get past my bias for the .2" displays. Which have proven to be problematic.
IMG_6312.JPG

Kaellis991

#208 Post by Kaellis991 »

These .36" digits with the TM1637 board might work with Siminnovations.
I will need to research that.

Since they are not designed to be daisy chained it will require additional arduino pins.

image.png

SimPassion

#209 Post by SimPassion »

Kaellis991 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:49 pm These .36" digits with the TM1637 board might work with Siminnovations.
I will need to research that.

Since they are not designed to be daisy chained it will require additional arduino pins.

image.png
Yes they are, though only up to max 4 x 7 segment display : https://siminnovations.com/wiki/index.p ... add#TM1637

Otherwise it's with TM1638 with up to 8 x 7 segment display : https://siminnovations.com/wiki/index.p ... add#TM1638

Would be nice to get handled, the ones you've suggested, with 6 displays onboard

SimPassion

#210 Post by SimPassion »

Hi @Ralph shouldn't these 6 displays modules stay compatible with AM 4.1 using TM1637 type using "hw_chr_display_id" ?

https://www.amazon.fr/Daffichage-Numéri ... 0BRJLSY3T/