An easier way to make parts of the image transparent

Help and techniques for creating Air Manager Instrument Graphics

Moderators: russ, Ralph

SimPassion

Re: An easier way to make parts of the image transparent

#11 Post by SimPassion »

wohnlich wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:01 pm
Sling wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:35 pm Not being funny but if Inkscape can’t do this basic thing it’s not the tool to be using for AM dev. Photoshop, Corel Draw or GiMP are some others.
And it would be so easy to solve, they just would have to allow to fill an object with "Transparent" like any other color. As I wrote some posts above this, the basic functionality is there, but I haven't found a way to apply it to stack of objects - it only works with one object. Maybe I just don't get it, but I looked at a lot of tutorials. I believe you could convert the "stack" of objects into one path and then punch out a transparent shape from the whole thing, but then they lose their features as an object and become a path (just a bunch of lines). Inkscape has a "declarative" approach to drawing: Objects never become bitmaps, they remain a circle or a line and you can modify them as these objects (a bit like in Powerpoint, but much more powerful).

Apart from this odd problem, I find it to be a very productive tool due to this philosophy. My first instrument took me ages to make, but in the meantime I can pump out a basic instrument scale in 15 minutes.
Though, as every answer was stating, this is not the proper tool for transparency management. The initial purpose of inkscape was vectors and spline, not that much bitmap working at first. If you're in the urgency for this part, don't wait they answer your expectation in a few months ... ;-)

Keith Baxter

#12 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

As @SimPassion already mentioned. Just use paint.net after all editing and frill adding.
Click on the area you want transparent and give the delete key a wack. Job done. :mrgreen:

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

wohnlich

#13 Post by wohnlich »

Keith Baxter wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:17 pm Hi,

As @SimPassion already mentioned. Just use paint.net after all editing and frill adding.
Click on the area you want transparent and give the delete key a wack. Job done. :mrgreen:

Keith
Yes...or install nothing at all, and use the 60 second method the whole thread started with. :roll:

A sticky post in this subforum with 5 pages discusses how to achieve this in Skinman, an ancient, abandonware product that's almost impossible to locate because the web search results get drowned in hits for a skincare product of the same name. I really don't get the hate on Inkscape here when Skinman keeps being recommended here all the time.

Sorry I was trying to be helpful and share some experiences that helped me become more productive. Won't happen again.