Loading panels to multiple displays in order

Peer support for Air Manager desktop users

Moderators: russ, Ralph

erj145sim

Loading panels to multiple displays in order

#1 Post by erj145sim »

Hello everyone,

In my ERJ setup I have 5 panels: CA-side PFD and MFD, FO-side PFD and MFD, and EICAS. Each panel is displayed in a dedicated LCD screen (so 5 LCDs). All LCDs are driven off two graphics cards in a single dedicated computer. My issue is that the displays seem to get out of order depending on when they get turned on vs when the computer gets turned on, and then when I fire up the panels in AM, they get displayed in different screens then I intended.
What I would like to do is have switches in my overhead that turn the LCDs on and then loads the panel in the proper displays. Is there a way to ensure this happens consistently?
As always I thank everyone in advance for your insight and help!!!

Marco

SimPassion

Re: Loading panels to multiple displays in order

#2 Post by SimPassion »

erj145sim wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:01 pm Hello everyone,

In my ERJ setup I have 5 panels: CA-side PFD and MFD, FO-side PFD and MFD, and EICAS. Each panel is displayed in a dedicated LCD screen (so 5 LCDs). All LCDs are driven off two graphics cards in a single dedicated computer. My issue is that the displays seem to get out of order depending on when they get turned on vs when the computer gets turned on, and then when I fire up the panels in AM, they get displayed in different screens then I intended.
What I would like to do is have switches in my overhead that turn the LCDs on and then loads the panel in the proper displays. Is there a way to ensure this happens consistently?
As always I thank everyone in advance for your insight and help!!!

Marco
Hi Marco
The best would be to get a delayed AM / AP launch waiting for the user session to be fully loaded and opened, before running AM or AP
I guess each instrument panel is already set to the proper location before launch in the [Home] tab / in right pane, "Window preferences" section before clicking on Show icon, or if "Start section" set to any "automatically" choice ?
Last edited by SimPassion on Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ralph

#3 Post by Ralph »

Which Windows version do you use?

erj145sim

#4 Post by erj145sim »

Hi SimPassion and Ralph! Thanks for the replies!

@SimPassion - yes, panels are configured and were set to automatically start. I also tried starting manually, which I figure will be the way to go for my setup (actually calling them from a hardware panel which I was also use to turn the screens on from the overhead’s Avionics Master switches.

@Ralph - I am using Win 10 pro, 19044.2006 build.

Thanks again, guys!

SimPassion

#5 Post by SimPassion »

erj145sim wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:29 pm ... which I was also use to turn the screens on from the overhead’s Avionics Master switches.
Not the proper way, all LCD monitors should be up and running when the computer is starting and before launching AM or AP, so they are always seen in the proper order by the OS, the issue could very well come from this improper action !!!

erj145sim

#6 Post by erj145sim »

I was kind of figuring that would be the issue, after some testing here. Kind of a bummer since I was trying to replicate the avionics startup sequence on the actual plane, but I can probably figure out a different way to get a similar result.
Thanks again for the insight!
Marco

SimPassion

#7 Post by SimPassion »

erj145sim wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:51 pm .../... Kind of a bummer since I was trying to replicate the avionics startup sequence on the actual plane, but I can probably figure out a different way to get a similar result.
Thanks again for the insight!
Marco
The better way is to create a panel in the [Create/Edit] tab and manage the instrument visibility inside its related logic.lua script, using, for example, visible(capt_pfd,false) on load, then visible(capt_pfd,true) when the hardware switch is tuned to ON. This is how I managed it in the AutoPNL for PA28

[EDIT] Here's the whole panels and instrument set for reference, if you want to have a look in it : https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/f ... novations/

erj145sim

#8 Post by erj145sim »

Yes for sure! I’m doing that, but was trying to also control power to the screens at the same time, as in the real aircraft. There, the actual displays only turn on when you switch avionics on. For EICAS, that display is turned on directly once the batteries are switched on. I was trying to replicate that. Obviously that’s not going to work because I can’t define which specific physical hardware to display a panel on - the assignment is only logical, based on the screen assignment windows does on startup. If I turn all screens off while the computer is on, then I turn all the screens back on, they may get assigned different display numbers in windows, which messes up where the panels are displayed. I understand that now - I think! 😁
Limitation noted, accepted, will move on 😉
Really appreciate the replies!

erj145sim

#9 Post by erj145sim »

One more question…I know I should have found the answer in the forum already, but how do I use a hardware switch to actually start a panel in air manager (if I don’t want the panel to start automatically and don’t want to manually do it via Air Manager’s UI? Is there a way?
Thanks again so much.

Marco

SimPassion

#10 Post by SimPassion »

erj145sim wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:06 am Yes for sure! I’m doing that, but was trying to also control power to the screens at the same time, as in the real aircraft. There, the actual displays only turn on when you switch avionics on. For EICAS, that display is turned on directly once the batteries are switched on. I was trying to replicate that. .../...
All can be simulated by adding an additional layer on top of the instrument panel which can be shown or not and for which we can also define the opacity. This will operate as a Power ON / Power OFF
Last edited by SimPassion on Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.