MSFS 2020 40th Anniversary Build & Helicopters Tips for Joystick Axis binding

You can talk about anything flight (simulation) related here

Moderators: russ, Ralph

SimPassion

Re: MSFS 2020 40th Anniversary Build & Helicopters Tips for Joystick Axis binding

#11 Post by SimPassion »

Here new points I've missed and which are potentially introduced with 40th Anniversary Build, or I may be wrong if I already missed them previously ...

quick sample :

image.png

Last edited by SimPassion on Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SimPassion

Re: MSFS 2020 40th Anniversary Build & Helicopters Tips for Joystick Axis binding

#12 Post by SimPassion »

So to clarify for anyone, Helicopters needs we re bind axis to related available.

At least :
  • TAIL ROTOR AXIS
  • SET CYCLIC LONGITUDINAL AXIS
  • SET CYCLIC LATERAL AXIS
  • SET HELICOPTER THROTTLE AXIS
  • COLLECTIVE AXIS
[EDIT] Wowww, way more accurate after binding the proper controls !!! :o :D (it revives the TFRP Rudder Pedals, together with cyclic management !!!)

[EDIT 2] Hi @Ralph if you don't already bind those axis, try them, you'll enjoy and retrieve what you know in RL, while piloting helicopters ... guaranteed ;)

[EDIT 3] Now really convinced. It's exactly how we see Helicopters Pilots managing the flight. For a few moments, I took myself for a true Helicopter Pilot ... I know, I know, this is only flight simulation. Hope anyone enjoy the same in MSFS. Great moments !!

Ralph

#13 Post by Ralph »

I gave it the Cabri quick try with my Logitech joystick, but it is rather disappointing. Maybe it is the way I have it set up? But I don't need to use any pedal inputs / counter torque when picking up. I also don't notice any translational lift.
It basically feels like a Cessna 172 that can do a vertical take off. I remember them saying that they didn't want to allow / release helicopters before they could do it right, well... :lol:

SimPassion

#14 Post by SimPassion »

Ralph wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:23 am I gave it the Cabri quick try with my Logitech joystick, but it is rather disappointing. Maybe it is the way I have it set up? But I don't need to use any pedal inputs / counter torque when picking up. I also don't notice any translational lift.
It basically feels like a Cessna 172 that can do a vertical take off. I remember them saying that they didn't want to allow / release helicopters before they could do it right, well... :lol:
The new helicopters axis binding really makes the difference, as you already suggested Ralph and changes flight sensations, I encourage you to create a new profile for these two newly added helicopters Cabri G2 and Belle 407, the same joystick profile will fit for both, and the translational lift will gain better using the already mentioned SET HELICOPTER THROTTLE AXIS and
COLLECTIVE AXIS, without missing cyclic and tail rotor axis binding. Be aware the H135/H145 or any previous from other designers will not be compatible with this new joystick profile
In any case, the new binding is really required, though I don't know how real helicopters Pilot would feel this enhanced behavior, you're at best place to evaluate this, than me only flying helicopters in flight simulation

jph

#15 Post by jph »

Hi,
I have a small amount of RW Helo time and can safely say that any 'transitional lift' is 100% a product of the flight modelling (or lack of) and cannot be in any way related to joystick mapping.
I can imagine anti torque pedals being 'automatic' in the game unless specifically selected as manual (same as the old 'automatic rudder' in the old fs games) though.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Ralph

#16 Post by Ralph »

I agree, anti torque can be some sort of setting that makes it easier. But the translational lift is just physics. In X-Plane it works perfect. Maybe were spoiled too much with X-Plane ;)

SimPassion

#17 Post by SimPassion »

Just to add, for more realism, these parameters can be disabled (set to OFF)
  • HELICOPTERS: ASSISTED TAIL ROTOR
  • HELICOPTERS: ASSISTED CYCLIC
In short :
  • the Cabri G2 Guimbal is from ASOBO STUDIO
  • the Bell 407 is from MICROSOFT/NEMETH DESIGNS
image.png
image.png
Last edited by SimPassion on Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jph

#18 Post by jph »

Hi,
I am guessing that the

HELICOPTERS: ASSISTED TAIL ROTOR
is probably 'automatic' anti-torque pedal compensation on collective, throttle or indeed any flight control or power change that would normally require appropriate manual anti-torque pedal correction to correct induced fuselage rotation due to changing torque.

and
HELICOPTERS: ASSISTED CYCLIC
is probably more of an 'automatic' turn coordination - as in 'auto rudder' - as opposed to the normal required use of the anti torque pedals to control yaw.

Just guessing, it sounds logical. They need to be 'off' :D

I wonder how they cope with mast bump, negative G, vortex ring state and also extreme low inertia rotor modelling ? :o ;).
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Ralph

#19 Post by Ralph »

Okay I have turned those off, that makes a little bit of a difference. But when I pull full collective in the 407, I don't have the idea that I have to give more pedals, that setting seems to stay the same. I also don't notice much difference in pedal input when changing speed. And still no translational lift.

It feels like the helicopters in the FSX era :)

I saw some stuff on Facebook, all sorts of work-arounds to make it better. Seems like Microsoft still has some work to do.

@jph I think I noticed settling with power. Low rotor RPM doesn't seem to be possible, you can pull as much torque as you want, the RPM does not change. It's very much a game.

jph

#20 Post by jph »

Ralph wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:15 pm Okay I have turned those off, that makes a little bit of a difference. But when I pull full collective in the 407, I don't have the idea that I have to give more pedals, that setting seems to stay the same. I also don't notice much difference in pedal input when changing speed. And still no translational lift.

It feels like the helicopters in the FSX era :)

I saw some stuff on Facebook, all sorts of work-arounds to make it better. Seems like Microsoft still has some work to do.

@jph I think I noticed settling with power. Low rotor RPM doesn't seem to be possible, you can pull as much torque as you want, the RPM does not change. It's very much a game.
I think if there is any SWP then it must be a bug, certainly not intentional ;) :D
It must be one hell of a turbine unit and governor if the rpm doesn't change as you pull the collective into your armpit :shock:
Do you still get chance to fly regularly Ralph ?. Unfortunately I don't get any chance these days.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.