MSFS 2020 40th Anniversary Build & Helicopters Tips for Joystick Axis binding

You can talk about anything flight (simulation) related here

Moderators: russ, Ralph

SimPassion

MSFS 2020 40th Anniversary Build & Helicopters Tips for Joystick Axis binding

#1 Post by SimPassion »

Last edited by SimPassion on Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ralph

Re: MSFS 2020 40th Anniversary Build Release Times

#2 Post by Ralph »

I started MSFS, but no update :(

jph

#3 Post by jph »

Ralph wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:16 am I started MSFS, but no update :(
It does say 5 PM (17:00) CET :D
You are too keen :lol:
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Ralph

#4 Post by Ralph »

Oh you're right, I didn't even notice the PM.

SimPassion

Re: MSFS 2020 40th Anniversary Build & Helicopters Tips for Joystick Axis binding

#5 Post by SimPassion »

I can't resist ...
Just wondering why it is not written this way, if it's not us who having connection issue :lol: Sure they will appreciate ...

image.png

Last edited by SimPassion on Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SimPassion

Re: MSFS 2020 40th Anniversary Build & Helicopters Tips for Joystick Axis binding

#6 Post by SimPassion »

Anyway, for more interest :

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/ ... -6th-2022-

[EDIT] MSFS was missing the best part previously : default helicopters in MSFS ! Will check them when install will be ended (1/3 of 21.71GB downloaded at the moment)

[EDIT2] Now almost half of download

image.png

Still these issues though on the two available helicopters :

HELICOPTERS

Bell 407

VR controllers are not fully supported by the aircraft.
The rotor brake does not slow the rotor blades down.

Cabri G2

Cyclic (pitch) trim is inverted on cyclic of the Cabi G2. Key bindings work fine.
The Flight Plan page of the GPS does not show course and distance information for the legs of the flight plan.
The first leg of a flight plan may not activate in the GPS.
The bearing to a waypoint in the GPS is true bearing instead of magnetic bearing.
The Direct-To flight plan cannot be consistently cleared from the GPS.
Occluder is missing rain/snow/CFD and can go through the cockpit.

Last edited by SimPassion on Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SimPassion

#7 Post by SimPassion »

Well, it looks like in multiplayer, we see properly rotating the rotor of others Cabri, but not the rotor of others Bell 407
There's also weird sounds which occurs from time to time, in the Bell 407 external view in chase mode
Apart this, I'm really amazed of the default collective and anti-torque axis sensibility. I had to adjust a bit, by performing SENSITIVITY settings, specifically for the anti-torque for which I lowered down the REACTIVITY from 100% to 35%, even if not perfect at all. There's a learning curve in these settings adjustments for helicopters and I hope other would share their own experience and recommendations

Happy flying in MSFS with newly added helicopters !!!

SimPassion

#8 Post by SimPassion »

On my own I feel like both helicopters requires to performs actions very differently than in other flight simulators
What do you think of current flyability and behavior of each helicopter ?

Sling

#9 Post by Sling »

I don’t think the flight models are that detailed but they fly alright for a first iteration I guess. You need to map those trims and use them to take away constant deflection. Forward cyclic seems to be the worst one.

SimPassion

#10 Post by SimPassion »

Thanks for your advice Tony @Sling, I will try in deep trim management. Even if Nemeth Design is behind the 407, it will require some improvement, as just arrived in MSFS at the moment and as you suggested.
Yes I'm a bit surprised by cyclic behavior and sensibility on collective (though on the collective part, I have the feeling it's more matching to the reality, this way, perhaps helicopter Pilots could confirm, for those having tried in MSFS). Indeed we're used to fly in already great helicopters addons, across other flight simulator, some which are near study level, even if I'm not helicopter Pilot, nor an expert on it. Anyway helicopters is my favorite part, unfortunately not really having time to perform a lot of flights in each week
Well, eventually I'm really confident, the improvement will come and there's really room for helicopters, in an amazing external environment like we see in MSFS.

[EDIT] I missed to mention, the axis for which I have difficulties to get the proper adjustments for the Bell 407, in Settings / Joystick, is for Rudder Pedals / Anti-Torque, I still have to make some tries and errors before reaching the right behavior. For the moment even any small movement on the rudder axis, is triggering too much and straight in-sim rotation on the yaw axis ???
Additionally, I should have mentioned, I'm using the Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedals, which I think is far to be the best device for controlling the Anti-Torque. It brings a lot of stuttering in the movement, as even with proper grease used on the longitudinal steal guide, the movement is often frozen along its way. It's also an issue flying any aircraft other than helicopters. I hope one day I could access to worthy and reliable one
Last edited by SimPassion on Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.