Java faults

Peer support for Air Manager desktop users

Moderators: russ, Ralph

RoundEngine

Java faults

#1 Post by RoundEngine »

All of a sudden today Air Manager is crashing due to Java faults. The application has bee working fine and connects to MSFS 2020. I have not made any updates/changes/additions to the system since yesterday but just powered it up today. The even viewer shows the following and there are no other errors.

Any ideas are welcome.

Edit. I started AM with no simulator, then ran the AM instrument and it started. As soon as I clicked on the instrument window to move it AM died.

Faulting application name: javaw.exe, version: 16.0.1.0, time stamp: 0x45bd714b
Faulting module name: AppBase.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x6321b651
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000002a9e53
Faulting process id: 0x7a2c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8f21ed580de12
Faulting application path: F:\Programs\Air Manager\jre\bin\javaw.exe
Faulting module path: F:\Programs\Air Manager\win32-x86-64\AppBase.dll
Report Id: db82e119-8dfe-48aa-84b5-4e78f4444596
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

javaw.exe
45bd714b
AppBase.dll
6321b651
c0000005
00000000002a9e53
7a2c
01d8f21ed580de12
F:\Programs\Air Manager\jre\bin\javaw.exe
F:\Programs\Air Manager\win32-x86-64\AppBase.dll
db82e119-8dfe-48aa-84b5-4e78f4444596

SimPassion

Re: Java faults

#2 Post by SimPassion »

@RoundEngine, try to add javaw.exe / bootloader.exe / airmanager.exe process names and the Air Manager / Air Player install folder full pathname (location where AM is running from), to the exclusion list in real time security scan tool if any, as well as in Windows Defender.

jph

#3 Post by jph »

SimPassion wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:59 am @RoundEngine, try to add javaw.exe / bootloader.exe / airmanager.exe process names and the Air Manager / Air Player install folder full pathname (location where AM is running from), to the exclusion list in real time security scan tool if any, as well as in Windows Defender.
Hi Gilles,
If running defender then I presume you mean on a temporary basis, certainly not permeant. ? This should never be needed if running defender.
If he is running some of the offerings such as 'norton' or McAfee, bitdefender or any of the many bloatware installs of any other so called 'security suite' then the best option is to delete the offending 'security suite' and burn all traces of it :lol: ;) :o

To the OP, After trying what Gilles suggests, if to no avail then I would also recommend first you open up an elevated cmd window (or powershell admin) and run sfc /scannow then test again. (I would do this first but it is not an issue as to when you do this)
Also, if that does not work then simply reinstall the AM application.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Corjan

#4 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

This is AM crashing in the native part of the code.
Unfortunately this report doesn't give much information about why and where.

Is there a way to reproduce this crash?

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Corjan

SimPassion

#5 Post by SimPassion »

jph wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:51 am
SimPassion wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:59 am @RoundEngine, try to add javaw.exe / bootloader.exe / airmanager.exe process names and the Air Manager / Air Player install folder full pathname (location where AM is running from), to the exclusion list in real time security scan tool if any, as well as in Windows Defender.
Hi Gilles,
If running defender then I presume you mean on a temporary basis, certainly not permeant. ? This should never be needed if running defender.
Hi Joe,

it will always help in any case, to set Windows Defender by adding exclusions, because even if we think we disable it, or replace it with another real time security scanner install, it is still in the background process and working on behalf the windows core system. Part of this security concern is virtualized apps. The internal Windows Defender is well known for bringing difficulty to release in time applications and running processes. Be confident setting it, as mentioned, solved several issue around Air Manager and javaw.exe, already from several AM/AP versions back in time. I've made quick procedures writing, or mentioned it in a few thread on the SI forums and on x-plane.org

jph

#6 Post by jph »

Hi Gilles,
I have never had any issues with Defender in that context. However, if it works for you that is fine. I would also never replace defender with another real time scanner as it is simply not needed. Exclusions are extremely useful with defender for certain areas, but this should not be one of them. I would absolutely recommend NOT making exclusions for Java / AM. At the same time, I would also strongly advise that no other (mostly) snake oil 'security programs / suites' are used.

But, no problems, We can agree to disagree on that ;)
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

SimPassion

#7 Post by SimPassion »

jph wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:53 am .../... I would absolutely recommend NOT making exclusions for Java / AM. At the same time, I would also strongly advise that no other (mostly) snake oil 'security programs / suites' are used.
Fully agree on this ;-) For full perfs concern I've never installed any security tool on flight simulation rigs. Mostly, we sometime take more time to debug these security applications and tools, which brings us false serenity and security feeling, without saying they also bring counter-side issues ... that's my point though

jph

#8 Post by jph »

Yes, I also agree fully on that. :D
My CISSP has not been renewed since I retired but I keep fully up to date. I despair at some of the things people allow to run on their systems. :lol:
Usually they come preloaded if they buy a machine. Almost all of it is malware in it's own right. Same as any of the 'free' AV programs such as Avast (which was once acceptable) which is now basically just spyware, adware and bloatware. :D
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

RoundEngine

#9 Post by RoundEngine »

jph wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:51 am
Hi Gilles,
If he is running some of the offerings such as 'norton' or McAfee, bitdefender or any of the many bloatware installs of any other so called 'security suite' then the best option is to delete the offending 'security suite' and burn all traces of it :lol: ;) :o

To the OP, After trying what Gilles suggests, if to no avail then I would also recommend first you open up an elevated cmd window (or powershell admin) and run sfc /scannow then test again. (I would do this first but it is not an issue as to when you do this)
Also, if that does not work then simply reinstall the AM application.
Joe
I am running Vipre as my security tool and disabled defender as much as possible.

I will try adding the program to Vipre's exclusion list but it's strange it started happening all of a sudden.

I will also do the sfc /scannow and see what happens.

I've already reinstalled AM hoping that would fix it.

RoundEngine

#10 Post by RoundEngine »

Corjan wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:53 am Hi,

This is AM crashing in the native part of the code.
Unfortunately this report doesn't give much information about why and where.

Is there a way to reproduce this crash?

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Corjan
Yesterday I could reproduce it every time by running the instrument from AM's create/edit instrument panel and then trying to move the instrument.