Modifying an stock instrument

Questions about deployment and use of Air Manager Instruments

Moderators: russ, Ralph

pepebky

Modifying an stock instrument

#1 Post by pepebky »

I need to add a functionality to the stock KX-165 that is available for download from the web.
The KX-165 has a push button on the NAV decimal encoder that modifies what shows the digits above it.
In normal mode it shows active freq and standby freq.
Pressing that button shows active freq and the radial to the station.
This functionality is very important for pilots who are just starting out, as it allows them to determine their position more easily.
Can I modify the instrument and then upload it to share this improvement?.
Should this work be done by the siminnovation team?
I am totally new to programming and it will be a bit difficult for me to do it, but I can try. I look forward to your answers.
Thanks

Jose

Keith Baxter

Re: Modifying an stock instrument

#2 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

Yes you can. Clone the original and use that clone to do your thing.
This is the best way to learn.
It is polite to contact the original instrument author and advise what you are doing and give credit to his work.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

Sling

#3 Post by Sling »

If the instrument author is Sim Innovations then yes they are there for the community to use and to make improvements. If the author is someone else you absolutely should seek their permission to use their existing assets and code. They may prefer to do the edit themselves in some cases. If you plan to re-submit it for inclusion in the community store here are some guidelines to follow. If the plan is to replace the existing instrument then the UUID should be kept the same so do not clone and modify in this instance because when you clone an existing instrument it creates a copy but with a different UUID.

Community Store Submission Guidelines v7.pdf
(58.87 KiB) Downloaded 60 times

FlyerDavidUK

#4 Post by FlyerDavidUK »

I have just submitted a very minor update to a stock instrument, but had not realised that you shouldn't clone the instrument first.

This confuses me because there is a huge warning message to clone before modifying any stock instruments, otherwise you may lose your work.

How would you recommend I make changes to stock instruments, which in some cases might take a number of weeks including posting on the beta-test forum, without risking loss?
UK Private pilot and flight instructor with CPL/IR/FI/IRI approx 2000 hours offering remote flight instruction via Zoom
See my FlyerDavidUK.com website for trip reports around Europe/US, my training experience and services offered

Sling

#5 Post by Sling »

Simple you up the version number. Air Manager only downloads the latest version from the store. Just to be clear the only time you don’t have to clone is if you intend to submit an updated version to the community store. Trying to avoid having multiple versions of essentially the same thing. Obviously if it’s different enough and warrants it’s own distinct version then a unique UUID is required. Whatever path is taken, a clear explanation to explain the mods or reasoning for a new instrument greatly helps the submission process.

Hope this explains the reasoning.

FlyerDavidUK

#6 Post by FlyerDavidUK »

@pepebky

I re-read your original post and was intrigued with this functionality of the KX165. I have one in my own aircraft and wasn't aware of that feature! I am finding that modelling instruments really makes you understand the full functionality available and how it works.

Since the current KX165A instrument models are authored by Siminnovations, I think it should be ok to update it and publish. I'm working on another instrument at the moment, but might well come back and add this feature in after I've used it for real in the plane.

I've put it on my worklist and it may take me a few weeks to get around to it. It's similar to a display on the GNC255 which I did last month.

@Sling

I can understand your reasoning but have to say it doesn't really match the way I typically work. For example, the stock instrument for the KX165A in the library comes in two separate forms - one is hardcoded for COM1/NAV1 and a second/duplicate for COM2/NAV2. I've cloned the first one and made it configurable.

The upside is that any subsequent changes to the online module don't surprise me or overwrite my code. The downside is that I don't benefit from any subsequent feature updates or bug fixes. I am more worried about the former.
I have made small changes to dozens of AM instruments over the past couple of years.
UK Private pilot and flight instructor with CPL/IR/FI/IRI approx 2000 hours offering remote flight instruction via Zoom
See my FlyerDavidUK.com website for trip reports around Europe/US, my training experience and services offered

SimPassion

#7 Post by SimPassion »

Just to mention the original feature is PULL (Depressing) Mode button, rather than PUSH, indeed this have to be simulated with click in AM
Additionally the KX 165A bring the 8.33K switching on the COMM Frequency Select Inner Knob while pulled out

https://www.bendixking.com/content/dam/ ... -Guide.pdf

image.png

FlyerDavidUK

Re: Modifying stock instrument KX165A

#8 Post by FlyerDavidUK »

Perhaps this thread should have a clearer title, since it is about the KX165A

Having looked into this, it appears that the device can provide a separate independent OBS function in addition to that provided by a connected CDI. Quite impressive, but I suspect rarely used.
Neither X-plane nor MSFS support this function natively. It should be possible to synthesise an additional OBS function within Air Manager, but it isn't straightforward - for example, X-plane doesn't provide a dataref with magnetic bearing to the beacon so you'd have to calculate that from the true bearing and variation, then maintain a separate adjustable OBS heading and display the difference between the two.

I regret this wouldn't be high up on my priority list, but perhaps someone else might be interested to implement it.

Sling

Re: Modifying stock instrument KX165A

#9 Post by Sling »

FlyerDavidUK wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:15 pm Perhaps this thread should have a clearer title, since it is about the KX165A

Having looked into this, it appears that the device can provide a separate independent OBS function in addition to that provided by a connected CDI. Quite impressive, but I suspect rarely used.
Neither X-plane nor MSFS support this function natively. It should be possible to synthesise an additional OBS function within Air Manager, but it isn't straightforward - for example, X-plane doesn't provide a dataref with magnetic bearing to the beacon so you'd have to calculate that from the true bearing and variation, then maintain a separate adjustable OBS heading and display the difference between the two.

I regret this wouldn't be high up on my priority list, but perhaps someone else might be interested to implement it.
Did this quite a while back now.

FlyerDavidUK

#10 Post by FlyerDavidUK »

These look to be excellent, very thorough and accurate representation of several common real world devices. I'm glad I didn't spend any time on this.

Without watching the full 30 minutes of video, I didn't figure out if these are planned to become available in the online community library anytime soon or if they are fully cross platform.

They would be a significant addition and improvement to what is there at the moment.