Arduino could not be found in MessagePort-Mode

Support for Arduino in combination with Air Manager and Air Player

Moderators: russ, Ralph

SimPassion

Re: Arduino could not be found in MessagePort-Mode

#11 Post by SimPassion »

jph wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:22 pm
SimPassion wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:14 pm  
Just to mention, after having flashed the MEGA 2560 using the Arduino IDE, then exit it, next started AM, I have no action to perform, the Arduino MEGA 2560 is seen straight forward showing the active Message Port Mode on the [Home] tab and in a connected state

image.png

Hi Gilles, yes thats exactly what I said. In an untouched state the example will work and connect and show in the list. However, if you uncomment one of the send lines in the arduino code without an appropriate eelay then you will stuff the buffers and it wont connect. That is what the op had done.
The example I posted is the same as the basic example but I added a simple non blocking delay for simulation for testing.there is no problem with the example. There is only an issue if the send is called on every loop iteration. As he was doing.
:) Joe
Got it, not sure if I've ever observed this issue once though. Thanks in any case Joe

jph

#12 Post by jph »

Get yourself a few Pi Pico units Gilles, they are truly amazing. Dual core, 240mhz with a small overclock, you can run messageport on one core and anotherccode block on the other core to a debug com port using a vcp. 2 com ports over the same usb and full dual cores. Incredibly fast and powerful. The timer and interrupt options are amazing. They are less than 5 euro each. You will have great fun. :D
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

SimPassion

#13 Post by SimPassion »

jph wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:34 pm Get yourself a few Pi Pico units Gilles, they are truly amazing. Dual core, 240mhz with a small overclock, you can run messageport on one core and anotherccode block on the other core to a debug com port using a vcp. 2 com ports over the same usb and full dual cores. Incredibly fast and powerful. The timer and interrupt options are amazing. They are less than 5 euro each. You will have great fun. :D
Joe
Yes I've followed the thread where you fully described this part. Hope I can do some testing on it at some point ...

jph

#14 Post by jph »

It is truly awesome. The core from Earle Philhower is simply the best thing to ever appear in Arduino. You also have multiple hardware SPI and I2C. The STM32 core for Arduino ide is also maturing beautifully..stm32 nucleo 144 boards for around 23 euros. Have a couple of 480mhz nucleo 144 boards arriving in a couple of weeks
:D
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#15 Post by jph »

Good morning Gilles,
I got a chance to check on one of the PCs with Air Manager this morning and can confirm the 'device' (specifically the com port) MUST be added to AM before it will be seen with messageport.
If you have not had to do this then it is simply that AM is already 'searching on port 'com xx'' and that will be shown in the left hand pane and in this case com xx will be equal to the assigned com port of the device used in messageport.
If AM is not 'told' to look on a specific com port for devices then it will ignore the port.

The reason for not needing to specifically add the device (port) will be that the device - presume a mega for an example, was already used in AM in standard AM 'flash' mode. This automatically adds the com port of that device to the 'searching' list in the left pane. If you then change the same hardware to messageport and flash with the arduino IDE and lib then, as the hardware com port enumeration will be the same in the same port then AM will already be looking for ANY device on that com port so will find it and you won't need to 'add' the device. If you have no devices (com ports) listed on the left pane then AM will not automatically find them.
Hope that makes sense :)
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

SimPassion

#16 Post by SimPassion »

Understood Joe, the Arduino MEGA 2560 was already used as a standard flashed board inside AM, I will check with an unknown device to better figure out your statement

jph

#17 Post by jph »

SimPassion wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:35 am Understood Joe, the Arduino MEGA 2560 was already used as a standard flashed board inside AM, I will check with an unknown device to better figure out your statement
No problem Gilles, you can also just highlight the existing 'searching on port 'com xx'' and click the 'remove' icon which resets the state for an already used com port.
I tested on the beta also and it is the same. AM used to scan ports but it was altered due to some other manufacturers software not behaving nicely at all. I can't remember exactly when.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

SimPassion

#18 Post by SimPassion »

Ok, I've made a try and after adding the Arduino device, it looks like we also have to restart AM, otherwise we get an infinite "Searching on port ..."

image.png

Then, on next restart :

image.png

jph

#19 Post by jph »

I don't have that issue here in either the release version or the beta.
After adding the device it will appear within 5 to 10 seconds at most. Certainly no restart needed.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

SimPassion

#20 Post by SimPassion »

Well, in AM 4.1.5, I don't get the described behavior. I did the same as in the Beta, removed the Arduino MEGA 2560 flashed with AM, from the device list in AM, exit AM, gone to Arduino IDE, flash Arduino Sketch with AM MessagePort Library inside, exit Arduino IDE, start AM 4.1.5 and bingo, the Arduino MEGA 2560 is seen in MessagePort Mode straight forward, without the need to add the Arduino board

I will have a look into this later when having more time ...