KnobFS BETA build

Support for KnobFS, share your experience and KnobFS modes.

Moderators: russ, Ralph

AJZip8

Re: KnobFS BETA build

#21 Post by AJZip8 »

Malaromane wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:08 pm
That sounds excellent. I know that this is a thread to talk about KnobFS but if you felt like taking a brief minute to talk about it, I'd be interested in your opinion on FSRealistic and how well it works in VR. The added sound effects seem reasonable but do you use the camera effects when you're flying in VR as well?
Yes - it's an interesting one. As you say, it's off topic but there maybe other folk with the same question.

In principle, FSRealistic has a flaw when it comes to VR. Whereas, in MSFS, the sim represents the movements through the air currents with small movements of the outside world (and so you remain sitting still in your cockpit), the FSRealistic has you moving in relation to the cockpit. For 2D, this actually works. But not so in VR.

Left at default settings, my view is that it feels very unrealistic in VR and makes you feel very sick very quickly. But what I found was if I:
- turn off the 'breathing' movment
- the (slightly silly) sneezing option
- turn down ALL movements on the slider to between 10% and 20%; sounds generally left at default

With these quite radical reductions in movement settings, for cockpit view it adds masses to the realism and immersion. Because if you hit a patch of turbulence or hit the deck in a landing, then yes, in real life it does shake your head about. But gentle air-current movement, which in real life is seen as the outside world moving and not your head, is now so subtle at those settings that you hardly notice it...which is how it should be.

The one remaining flaw is an outside view of the aircraft on a blustery day. Here, the aircraft remains static but your view is moving about with the gusts...not good

GaryG

#22 Post by GaryG »

Thanks for bringing Knobster functionality to MSFS! I fly exclusively in VR and found Knobster functionality invaluable in X-Plane. I'm testing the KnobFS beta release functionality as I have the opportunity. One thing I've noticed is that unlike KnobXP, I'm not able to click the center button and scroll through the list of control manipulations by rotating either knob. I have to highlight and click on the desired control option using the mouse only. Is this a limitation of KnobFS in MSFS?

Ralph

#23 Post by Ralph »

Works as far as I know. Press the button, hold it for a little while and it will go into scroll mode.

Malaromane

#24 Post by Malaromane »

GaryG wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:58 am <snip>
One thing I've noticed is that unlike KnobXP, I'm not able to click the center button and scroll through the list of control manipulations by rotating either knob. I have to highlight and click on the desired control option using the mouse only. Is this a limitation of KnobFS in MSFS?
Ralph wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:43 am Works as far as I know. Press the button, hold it for a little while and it will go into scroll mode.
I can confirm that it's working as @Ralph describes. Press and hold for about 3 secs and the the control highlight will change colour. Scroll up or down the list with the knob and then short press the button again to make your selection.

GaryG

#25 Post by GaryG »

Much obliged for the replies! The scrolling functionality of the list is working as designed. I wasn't depressing the center button long enough to trigger the scroll event.

For anyone that has an unused Saitek throttle set, the desktop clamp makes a great mount for the Knobster hardware!
Attachments
Knobster Desk Mount.jpeg

Corjan

#26 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

Good to hear that KnobFS is behaving :).

Yesterday, I made an official build, which you can download here:
https://www.siminnovations.com/api4/dow ... n=HOME_USE

Pretty much the same as the BETA version, except for the top bar knobster icon.
We will be creating documentation and promote knobFS in the coming weeks.

Corjan

Malaromane

#27 Post by Malaromane »

Corjan wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:42 pm Yesterday, I made an official build, which you can download here:
<snip>
Pretty much the same as the BETA version, except for the top bar knobster icon.
<snip>
Nice work on this software Corjan. I really appreciate this versatile utility you've made for us.

bigblip

#28 Post by bigblip »

Fantastic utility! I've had an enforced absence from flying for a while and only now getting back to it. I dipped my toe into VR a while back with a Rift S, but I couldn't get it smooth enough to stop me feeling nauseous every flight so I canned that. I also couldn't focus on the instruments without leaning right up close and I found that very frustrating, along with trying to turn knobs with the mouse. Now, though, with the improvements in the sim (DLSS, DX12 plus the latest Nvidia driver), I'm getting a gloriously smooth experience. So much so that I'm about to invest in a Reverb G2, which I hope will improve the clarity. The KnobFS plugin is the icing on the cake, and while I don't think I'm ready to ditch my cockpit hardware and Air Manager, I think I'll be spending more time in VR. Many thanks for this excellent add-on.

Harald65

#29 Post by Harald65 »

Hello, first of all thanks for the Knobster now being available in VR!
I have one comment resp. one wish conc. the Knobster for use in the A320 (FlyByWire):

For 2D, in Flight Manager I use the FCU Autopilot instrument done by Alexander Hildmann / Yves Levesque.
The use of the Knobster for adjustment of SPD, HDG or ALT and also baro pressurse is very intuitive: For example when using the Knobster for ALT:
- the 100/1000 change is done by the outer knob
- the adjustment of the altitude is done by the inner knob
- Push is Push (…) and Pull is done by holding the knob a bit longer (500ms)
Explanation taken from the authors: “Push/Pull implementation: „If you press and instantly release a knob, its considered a push, if you press and hold a bit longer (timeframe is defined in variable pupu_threshold = 500 ms) its considered to be a pull.“

This works really great!

In VR, the programming is not as intuitive for the A320. For the function ‘Autopilt ALT’ in VR, pushing the Knobster will not push the knob in the cockpit but simulate the switching between 100/1000 (which should be done by the outer knob). And pushing/pulling is not implemented.

It would be really great if you could add the Airbus A320 FBW knobs for VR in a similar way as it was done by Alexander Hildmann / Yves Levesque for the Air Manager (2D).

Thanks and regards
Harald

roland_lfor

#30 Post by roland_lfor »

Hi,
Very useful tool for (me too) a VR user, thanks :)

May I propose 2 additional features to enhance the tool:
- add a "button_pressed_code" handling event,
- if possible, open automatically the in-sim window when the 2 seconds push occurs for function selection

It would be really great.
Thanks!
Last edited by roland_lfor on Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.