Feature Request: Recording Flight Data

Let Sim Innovations know about your Air Manager experience and let us know about your dream feature addition

Moderators: russ, Ralph

jph

Re: Feature Request: Recording Flight Data

#11 Post by jph »

If you like Paul I can knock something together with a Pico and a micro or FS SD card that you can use over messageport (read and write - and also use the SD card to read the file to Excel). I ordered some 3.3V micro card units last week so they should be here in a week or so.
The PICO (about 4.5 Euro) and the card module (about 70 cents) will just hook up via MP so you can use simple commands from within AM to read and write.
The new PICO core for Arduino uses the SDFS system and is really neat. Supports native CSV but of course you can do anything you want. Do the hard work on the PICO and simple commands from AM.
If you are interested let me know. I ordered the card modules as I intend to use them for the hardware setup for the 128 I/O boards so you can just connect anything to anything and then run the test program to see what is what (similar to Sismo and most other hardware suppliers).
It means transferring the file manually via the SD if you want it for excel but that's not a big deal as it only take a few seconds.
As you mentioned before, the 'log' function would probably also work if there was a direct to a different file specifically for data saving / recording.
Doing it via messageport is cheap and easy and extremely flexible and can be in a format that is readily imported to excel.
Three seasoned and very experienced forum members here would like a save and retrieve system natively (that isn't persistence). I fully support your idea but would like it to be very basic so you have control over the format of the data.
As said, if it is not available in AM natively it can certainly be done over messageport and used within AM as required - in and out - on demand - and excel when needed.

Any usage case for purely saving and retrieving data to AM doesn't need the SD card as the flash can be partitioned to a mini file system (within flash usage limits) but for transfer to excel then the SD card is simple. Micros with PSram such as the ESP32 and certain STM32 have no flash write limitations due to their PSRAM so can have an inbuilt permanent file system.
Joe.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.