Video_stream_add

Support for Air Player desktop.

Moderators: russ, Ralph

jph

Re: Video_stream_add

#31 Post by jph »

The streaming one is definitely laggy and jerky where the pop out is smooth as silk. hmmm . :?
It looks like you uploaded at 720p max so it is difficult to judge the actual quality. They both look slightly blurred.

Definitely better smoothness on the popout as opposed to the stream though. (in that test).

One thing though is that you are still using your 970 gpu yes ? - that could be affecting things but unlikely. It would be interesting seeing it on a more modern card - and also in a higher res youtube video.

Vey interesting. Thanks for that.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Corjan

#32 Post by Corjan »

The stream is capped at 30 FPS. So it is dropping frames if the sim is running faster.

We will have to see how it plays out. It is a balance between FPS en resources.

Corjan

Mickolodias

#33 Post by Mickolodias »

Looks pretty damn awesome to me!
The benefits far out way the tiny bit of lag!
I'm one of 'those' mac guys. (and I have no idea why I can't afford to eat)

jph

#34 Post by jph »

Mickolodias wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:34 am Looks pretty damn awesome to me!
The benefits far out way the tiny bit of lag!
ok, I am being devil's advocate but what benefits are at the top of your list?
you would surely need to compare resources used with both?
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#35 Post by jph »

Corjan wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:18 am The stream is capped at 30 FPS. So it is dropping frames if the sim is running faster.

We will have to see how it plays out. It is a balance between FPS en resources.

Corjan
Hi, is that LR limited or via AM?
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Keith Baxter

#36 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

For me the quality is fine. I have not had reason to complain.

I think it is worth discussing here the expected number of "xplm_device"'s that could be added.

1) The std 737-800 still has 6 DU's to come and the A330 also has 6 du's to come total (12)
2) Not sure if LR would make the 747 xp11 birds compatible with xp12 so that might be another 6 DU's
3) Citation X would require 5 DU's EDIT"Available.
4) Hot start TBM 900 would require 3 g1000 for their synthetic vision feature and custom pages.
5) TorqueSim would require 2 g1000 for their synthetic vision and custom features on the SR2x.
6) TorqueSim would require 2 entegra on the SR2x.
7) Zibo would require 6 DU's for their terrain version.
8) Aerobask would need 2 g1000 for their DA50RG and DA62

So with just these popular AirFrames we would need at least 33 more "xplm_device"'s. I estimate the quantity could go well into the 100's

As i indicated to @Corjan in a previous post #26 this could become cumbersome.

My suggestion is to use a subscribe system where one subscribes to the "xplm_device" callback. This would take away the need for SI to continually update what "xplm_device"'s that are available.

A "xplm_device"'s. list could be created for user reference like the dataref one.

It would be wise to consider and change now rather than after there are many instruments in the store.

Just my 2C.

Keith
Last edited by Keith Baxter on Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

jph

#37 Post by jph »

I can foresee a free utility being made available by laminar or A/N/Other that is basically a small lightweight dedicated video player that interfaces directly to these units and allows multiple windowed players to be placed on ANY monitor on any part of the network.
That would appear to be the most logical thing and probably what they have in mind.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Keith Baxter

#38 Post by Keith Baxter »

jph wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:18 pm I can foresee a free utility being made available by laminar or A/N/Other that is basically a small lightweight dedicated video player that interfaces directly to these units and allows multiple windowed players to be placed on ANY monitor on any part of the network.
That would appear to be the most logical thing and probably what they have in mind.
Hi,

I have been in contact with the guys from TorqueSim and Nico from the Zibo Discords and they are in conversation with LR. So we will have to wait and see.
Cooper —
It's not up to me, its up to LR to allow 3rd party avionics to create their own callbacks. If they do, then we will look into it for sure

Air Man —
Awesome. Are you guys going to ask/push for it? Or is that something the users should try and do?

Cooper —
I’ve talked with them on it
Maybe Corjan and Ralph have more details.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

jph

#39 Post by jph »

I would presume, if you are talking about third party instruments capable of streaming, then it would be a format that LR dictates and they follow.
It would appear to me to be purely aimed at home cockpit use. Unless you have any other ideas as to what the intent was ? - I can't think of any other use off hand ?
It would also make sense that they designed the feature for networked use - or else no point in streaming if on same PC.
Just for sh!ts and giggles I opened 6 VLC windows streaming from 6 H264 1080p streams from my NAS (in dumb mode ) and it was effortless, and that's on my daily driver 11 year old lenovo laptop.
It is fairly light on CPU use (its an I7-3632QM at 3.2 GHz) but uses a lump of ram per stream. Not enough to bother about though. That is all using the on board intel GPU.
That is definitely not an apples to apples comparison though as the nature of the creation, in real time - and varying frame rates and loads of the stream(S) need to be accounted for at the creating end.
I would guess its better not to cap the frame rate.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Corjan

#40 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

I talked to Philipp from X-plane a while back. He wanted a system where aircraft makers could add there own textures, and have a reference just like the datarefs to access them.

That doesn't seem to be implemented in the X-plane API just yet, but it might come in the future...
When it is available, we willl support it.

Corjan