RPi 400?

Support for Air Player desktop on ARM devices, like the Raspberry Pi.

Moderators: russ, Ralph

CubDriver_197T

RPi 400?

#1 Post by CubDriver_197T »

I have a few questions that I’m hoping someone may be able to shed some light on.

Currently it’s nearly impossible to find the RPi 4b, and when you can find them they are at scalper prices. However, a local store has the RPi 400 computer kits in stock. Does anyone know if these can be used with Air Player? specifically running an X-Plane 11 system with Air Manager driving instruments as well as two Arduino boards for physical switches.

It seems that I remember there being a separate app specifically for the Raspberry Pi. I am I correct that this was once the case, but that now Air Player is updated to run on the RPi units?

I also seem to remember that the RPi specific app did not allow for using two monitors with the RPi. Is this still the case?

If the RPi can now be run with two monitors, does it possess enough capability to drive simple gauges such as fuel quantity, volt and amp meters on two small displays? I’m thinking specifically about the 7” displays that are available specifically for the RPi.

And finally, being completely new to the RPi system and having no experience with Linux, how much frustration am I opening myself up to in attempting integration of RPi units into my build. Just for reference, I went from zero experience with Arduino and Air Manager to a working physical cockpit in about a month and a half.

Thanks to everyone here that helps us noobs along!

Regards,
Justin

jph

Re: RPi 400?

#2 Post by jph »

why not just buy a small used WINDOWS PC ?
You can do anything you want with air manager then.
You should get a nice unit for about 50 to 75 euros.
you can get USB / HDMI converters for about 8 euros - as well as the two on board graphics ports they usually have.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

CubDriver_197T

#3 Post by CubDriver_197T »

jph wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:07 pm why not just buy a small used WINDOWS PC ?
You can do anything you want with air manager then.
You should get a nice unit for about 50 to 75 euros.
you can get USB / HDMI converters for about 8 euros - as well as the two on board graphics ports they usually have.
That’s one option that I am considering, but would rather avoid.

Ralph

#4 Post by Ralph »

If you're looking for an alternative to the Raspberry Pi 4, then I do not recommend using a 400. I would recommend purchasing something more powerful, and quite possibly easier to obtain. There are many powerful alternatives, Odroid, Pine64 (Rock64), Banana Pi, Orange Pi, etc...

CubDriver_197T

#5 Post by CubDriver_197T »

Thanks Ralph

I’m not familiar with any of those, so it appears that more research is in order. I’ll get on that and see what I learn and then likely be back with more questions.

Justin

Ralph

#6 Post by Ralph »

If you get something that is as powerful or more powerful than the Pi 4, then you're good. A Rock64 for example would be a good alternative.
https://pine64.com/product/rock64-2gb-s ... -computer/