Anyone using a 32" 4K monitor for coding ?

Peer support for Air Manager desktop users

Moderators: russ, Ralph

jph

Anyone using a 32" 4K monitor for coding ?

#1 Post by jph »

Just wondered if anyone is using a 4k 32 monitor for coding ?.
I want a a new monitor for the general workbench and coding and am considering a 4K 32" unit.
Anyone using one of this size and res ? .
If so, can you post a screen grab of AM and / or the Arduino IDE open in the create/edit area with code visible just to look at the space available with a comfortable font size.
It would be appreciated.
Thanks
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Ralph

Re: Anyone using a 32" 4K monitor for coding ?

#2 Post by Ralph »

Not 4K but Corjan used an ultra-wide, it is now being used by Jasper. It can be useful to have multiple windows next to each other on one monitor.

jph

#3 Post by jph »

Thanks Ralph,
My bro has a 32" 1440p 16:9 AR and and sent me a screen shot of that and it looks quite good. It looks perfectly able to run 2 windows side by side, not as good as the ultrawide though for side by side windows. I also want to use it for schematic editing so I think the taller screen is better than the wider screen (aspect ratio) in that respect - for me.
I have also found that as I get older I tend to lean forward towards the screen when concentrating :lol: - not due to vision - I don't know why (insanity ?) .. I think, maybe, the 4K may be the better all round option. It would be nice to see though.
Hmm. decisions decisions.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#4 Post by jph »

sod it, ;)
I found a nice LG 32UN500-W on offer so bit the bullet. 4K 16:9 it is. Air manager can 'spread it's wings' .
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Crunchmeister

#5 Post by Crunchmeister »

My main monitor for all purposes is a 34" UW at 3440 x 1440 with a nice 18R curve. I quite like it. I find it's a perfect monitor for everything from coding, photo / video editing, general purpose use, and gaming.

That said, I also have a 27" 4K monitor on the side as well. I can't get by with just 1 monitor. I'd have to get some giant 32:9 ratio to be able to live with a single monitor.
- Ryzen 5950x, 64GB 3600MHz RAM, RTX3070Ti

Simstrumentation Instrument dev
Free Air Manager instruments for MSFS available at http://www.simstrumentation.com

jph

#6 Post by jph »

Crunchmeister wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:03 am My main monitor for all purposes is a 34" UW at 3440 x 1440 with a nice 18R curve. I quite like it. I find it's a perfect monitor for everything from coding, photo / video editing, general purpose use, and gaming.

That said, I also have a 27" 4K monitor on the side as well. I can't get by with just 1 monitor. I'd have to get some giant 32:9 ratio to be able to live with a single monitor.
Hi Mr, Crunch, Thanks for that.
I already have a triple 32" monitor setup for the sim but they are set at eye level mid screen (as it should be) to avoid parallax issues. Not the ideal position for coding :)
The single 4K will be fine, I definitely didn't want the ultrawide (as the actress said to the bishop) as I find the aspect ratio loses too much in usable height, and I am not a fan of curved monitors at all although I can see benefit with an ultrawide. I have too many bloody monitors here :lol: On the workbench where the 4K 32 16:9 is going - on a height and distance adjustable wall mount. I also have to have the space to fit the 22" monitor that I use with the SMD PCB microscope. That also has to be a long arm mount to get it pushed back when not in use - as is the microscope / camera. Each one has to be capable of being moved relative to the other so definitely both adjustable visa mounts.
I bought a single 27" at one point, thought it was great, so then bought another 3 more (to get the same make and model) for triple monitors, then after a few weeks I wondered what the 32" units would be like so bought 3 x 32" (LG) so I have 4 x 27" monitors in their damn boxes under the bench, a 25" ultrawide, another 22", a 4:3 20" and a selection of 18.5" / 14 / 16 monitors for 737 MIP use (spares for the panels).

I might mount another monitor above the 32 inch on an adjustable bracket for lookup lists and drag and drop though.... 27" 4k are really dirt cheap so that might be a good choice for a second display. Possibly in portrait as I am doing a hell of a lot of file conversion in excel at the moment.

If anyone in the EU wants triple 27" monitors then I have a totally as new set of 3 matched / boxed BenQ VA screen 27" units with a triple monitor stand (I never used the stand) then let me know.... or indeed perhaps someone wants an ultra-short throw projector ? - 100" display at 18" from the screen !. native XGA but upscales to 1080p, with new unused celling mount, (Hitachi) remote and new bulb. I need to make some bloody space :shock:
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Crunchmeister

#7 Post by Crunchmeister »

I wasn't much of a fan of curved monitors either before I got this one. I think because most of them were small. I think it's very much a gimmicky thing on small monitors. There's exactly zero need for a curve on a 16:9 monitor, and zero need on any monitor smaller than 32". On larger UW screens though, it's great. As long as you maintain that perfect distance from the screen so that no matter how you turn your head, the screen is always the same distance from your eyes. Then the curve basically disappears and you don't notice it at all. Outside of that range though, it looks very apparent and it's not very eye pleasing.

32" is a nice size for a 4K. If I had to buy a monitor for a separate computer, that's likely what I'd get.
- Ryzen 5950x, 64GB 3600MHz RAM, RTX3070Ti

Simstrumentation Instrument dev
Free Air Manager instruments for MSFS available at http://www.simstrumentation.com