Real battery switch turning off Real gear lights

Help creating logic scripts for Air Manager Instruments

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Kaellis991

Re: Real battery switch turning off Real gear lights

#11 Post by Kaellis991 »

Let's pretend this is not even part of my sim and I want to just shut off the 15v side with any of the arduinos I have.

jph

#12 Post by jph »

If you have an external PSU for the arduino then let me know ?
Is it 5V or a 9V (ish) barrel plug type ?
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#13 Post by jph »

Kaellis991 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:44 pm Let's pretend this is not even part of my sim and I want to just shut off the 15v side with any of the arduinos I have.
No , lets not :lol: .... it is best done with either a mechanical or solid state relay and both require power - and not from the meanwell. ;)
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#14 Post by jph »

also, if you power the arduinos from USB then is it usb 2 or 3 ?
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Kaellis991

#15 Post by Kaellis991 »

jph wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:45 pm If you have an external PSU for the arduino then let me know ?
Is it 5V or a 9V (ish) barrel plug type ?
The only arduinos I have with the barrel connector is a Mega 2560 and an UNO. I am not using the MEGA in the sim but I am using one UNO.
All the other arduinos I have are NANO, Micro, Leonardo, and NANO EVERY (not supported by AM)... which do not have the barrel connector.
I do have an extra UNO with the barrel connector that is not being used for anything.

Kaellis991

#16 Post by Kaellis991 »

jph wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:48 pm also, if you power the arduinos from USB then is it usb 2 or 3 ?
It's been a combination of both 2 and 3.

Kaellis991

#17 Post by Kaellis991 »

jph wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:47 pm
Kaellis991 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:44 pm Let's pretend this is not even part of my sim and I want to just shut off the 15v side with any of the arduinos I have.
No , lets not :lol: .... it is best done with either a mechanical or solid state relay and both require power - and not from the meanwell. ;)
Yes, I understand that part...the arduino connects to the relay to activate the coil / magnet that then closes the higher voltage side...correct?

jph

#18 Post by jph »

Correct, but the relay coil needs power. Sometimes up to 100 mA. That is pushing it on USB 2 - or a lot of USB 2 ports.

You could use a P Channel power mosfet and an output from the darlington array to switch it, that would work.... and it would take bugger all current.

A P channel mosfet, a 4.7K (ish) resistor and a spare port on the ULN - do you have a spare port on the ULN ?
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Kaellis991

#19 Post by Kaellis991 »

jph wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:03 pm Correct, but the relay coil needs power. Sometimes up to 100 mA. Tht is pushing it on USB 2 - or a lot of USB 2 ports.

You could use a P Channel power mosfet and an output from the darlington array to switch it, that would work.... and it would take bugger all current.

A P channel mosfet, a 4.7K (ish) resistor and a spare port on the ULN - do you have a spare port on the ULN ?
Yes I am only using 6 ports on the ULN. (2) for the magents and (4) for the landing gear lights.
I think it would be a good educational project to make a mosfet board. I think I even have the mosfet.

jph

#20 Post by jph »

Oh goodie :) :mrgreen: ;)

It MUST be a P Channel... can you check what you have and give me the part number ?

Meanwhile I will draft a detailed schematic with my schematic editor....
Joe. CISSP, MSc.