Wiring connectors

Are you building a cockpit, planning to build one or just dreaming, this is your cockpit builder meeting point

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Kaellis991

Wiring connectors

#1 Post by Kaellis991 »

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to ask this, but if not the moderators can certainky move this post.

My question is about wiring connection options.
I have four 12 volt landing gear indicator lights from a Piper Arrow that I would like to connect to a typical solderable breadboard I am using to mount components. The breadboards have been used to mount the arduinos, some pin connectors and a few resistors typically.
The lights of course have two leads. They are not polarized. One lead becomes the ground and each will connect to (4) pins on the output side of a ULN2803 transitor array, while the other lead of each light needs to connect to the 12v power supply.

I am interested in learning about some different methods for connecting those (8) wires to a solderable breadboard.
I'd like to have a connector with one half that can be soldered to the board while the other half can be connected to the wires of each light.
I know i could use the typical dupont pins but I'd like something better.

Does anyone have any suggestions on options other than the dupont pins to create a sort of wiring harness that makes connecting and disconnectng the lights from the board relatively easy?

jph

Re: Wiring connectors

#2 Post by jph »

Hi Kirk,
I am not sure what you class as a typical 'solderable breadboard' ? - but presuming you mean perfboard, protoboard - single / double sided / holes, veroboard(stripboard)
at 2.54mm hole spacing, which is standard, then by far far far the best is to use IDC plugs / sockets and headers.
This is the route most professionals use, and also something you can create custom cables for yourself with only a craft knife / hobby knife and a pair of pliers or grips. - or you can buy ready made cables if you must. It is far cheaper and easier to buy reels of cable and the headers / plugs / sockets and diy it.
You can assemble a cable to the plugs with no soldering involved - the ID in IDC stands for Insulation displacement.

Almost ALL professional / commercial sims - for the home / business market - will use IDC from their centralised main controller (motherboards) to their daughter boards and then to the actual panels. If you buy cockpit parts or even PCBs from ANY of the main players they will come with IDC as the de-facto standard. You are also far better making a board that the micro will plug into rather than one that plugs into a micro.

You can get them in almost any size from 2 x3 (6 way) to 2 x 30 (60 way)

EVERYTHING here is IDC and all new designs are IDC.

If you have ever plugged a ribbon cable from a motherboard to a floppy drive or old IDE hard drive then you have already handled and used IDC connectors and cable.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Kaellis991

#3 Post by Kaellis991 »

Joe,

Those should do it. I'll order an IDC connector kit with the ribbon cable and the crimper. Will come in handy.

But the problem will be the size of the wires that came connected to the lights. I think they are 18ga. And i dont really want to remove those wires.
Last edited by Kaellis991 on Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sling

#4 Post by Sling »

Something like these or their screw variants are not bad. The ones I linked don’t give you the connector on both ends solution but they are quick and easy to use. There is also a similar mating parts version. It’s tricky to recommend a connector as many require crimp tools that you most likely don’t already have and most have limits on the wire size. What AWG are the wires? The other issue is pin layout to match the board grid which is most likely 0.1” unless you are happy to have a wire tail into the board. Do you want the board connector to be directly soldered to the board or is a wire tail ok?

https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale- ... block.html

Kaellis991

#5 Post by Kaellis991 »

Sling wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:12 am Something like these or their screw variants are not bad. The ones I linked don’t give you the connector on both ends solution but they are quick and easy to use. There is also a similar mating parts version. It’s tricky to recommend a connector as many require crimp tools that you most likely don’t already have and most have limits on the wire size. What AWG are the wires? The other issue is pin layout to match the board grid which is most likely 0.1” unless you are happy to have a wire tail into the board. Do you want the board connector to be directly soldered to the board or is a wire tail ok?

https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale- ... block.html
See above edited post. The wires on the lights are actually 22ga not 18ga.

I'd like the board connector to be soldered to the perfboard.

jph

#6 Post by jph »

You won't look back Kirk, they are absolutely the best and so easy to use. You can order some good connector and cable from china also if you need the links I can link to some I have ordered from.
If you get yourself a red indelible marker pen you can trim a larger ribbon cable to a smaller size and just mark a new red line on the 'no. 1' cable side. :D (free pro tip haha )
That way you don't have to buy loads of different cable widths. The red maker on the pin 1 wire is not absolutely necessary, it just helps to ensure you crimp the cable the right way around :shock: :lol: - don't ask me how I know..... ;)
Joe

to add -

Regarding limits on AWG size, not an issue for 99% of most normal usages. Just use multiple connectors of the IDC if absolutely needed. For anything requiring larger current then use a different connector - Molex - are a really good choice. The crimping tools are cheap and and the connectors are available in a sensible spacing - again - 2.54 mm would be my choice. All bases covered then really.
Screw on terminals are not something I would EVER choose to use. Neither would I use anything that tied you to a certain micro board. Whatever you do should be micro independent.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Kaellis991

#7 Post by Kaellis991 »

Basically, I'm just looking for a clean way to connect 4 sets of those wires to the darlington and to my 12v power.
D027F1B0-FFA8-4F21-8B8E-FFE9B6297881.jpeg

jph

#8 Post by jph »

These are the other type I use - note - I just picked this link at random to show an image - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004 ... wjGjCDWfp9
they are the JST / XH 2.54 (not molex as I mentioned before)
I also use 2.54 as that is the pitch of proto boards and most dev boards.
The connectors are cheap as are the crimpers.
jst2541.jpg
jst2542.jpg
Crimp terminals are available separately
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#9 Post by jph »

here are some ready made short lengths
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3295441 ... 4dC7d2h0tO

terminals -
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004 ... hfiCtCtzoB

tool - (but you may find one locally cheaper) - I think I paid about 10 quid for mine ?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003 ... ygD8K7UFXZ

you could buy a full selection for less than the price of a mega -
then change over to using all PICO :D
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Kaellis991

#10 Post by Kaellis991 »

jph wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:07 am here are some read made short lengths
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3295441 ... 4dC7d2h0tO
I know that ordering from aliexpress is the cheapest, but the orders also take much longer to be delivered.
Personally I dont mind spending more on amazon when I can get delivery in a day or two. I have ordered some items from aliexpress, but they took weeks to get here.

Perhaps this kit will work. I can solder the bare end of the precrimped wires to the lighting wires.
EAB8C38E-27D8-4D3B-B149-1C5717E507CA.png