Built-in editor vs external editor

Peer support for Air Manager desktop users

Moderators: russ, Ralph

erj145sim

Built-in editor vs external editor

#1 Post by erj145sim »

Hi everyone,

I am wondering if there is a way to disable the built-in editor or bypass it so that I don’t have to wait for it to refresh the file (happens automatically every few seconds I think?) before I run the instrument after an update?
I’ve been using Visual Studio Code for my writing/ editing, just because it gives me a few more tools.
Any insight would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance,

Marco

Ralph

Re: Built-in editor vs external editor

#2 Post by Ralph »

For me refreshes instantly, well... I've never noticed any delays. Maybe I'm slow? :)

SimPassion

#3 Post by SimPassion »

It happens also when using Notepad++, even if it's short, there's always a bit of latency until AM see changes coming from outside, its' a standard behavior between applications and AM is certainly not set to trigger updates check on files in real time which would be very cpu consuming

erj145sim

#4 Post by erj145sim »

Thanks for the replies, guys. It makes sense that AM wouldn’t be checking for updates all the time. It’s not a huge deal, just slows things down a bit because sometimes it refreshes but it is not evident, and you need to scroll to where you made the change to see if it’s updated in the built-in editor, otherwise if you push play/ run whatever is in AM window will overwrite what’s in VSC. One idea for a potential enhancement/ change in a future AM update would be to be able to configure the play/ run button to work like it used to be before the built in editor? I know, that’s kinda walking backwards, isn’t it? 😐

Thanks again for the reply!

Marco

Ralph

#5 Post by Ralph »

I use Notepad++, I've never noticed any delays. Maybe Visual Studio is a bit slow? Can you try it with Notepad++?
We want to upgrade the editor in one of the next versions, this one has a lot of bugs.

Sling

#6 Post by Sling »

Ralph wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:47 am We want to upgrade the editor in one of the next versions, this one has a lot of bugs.
Does that mean you don’t want/need a list of what’s wrong with the current one because I’ve been sort of keeping a list and was going to compile it into a bug list for Corjan at some point.

The editor is generally ok but as you say it has several issues.

Ralph

#7 Post by Ralph »

No that's not really necessary. It is a 3rd party editor. There's a new version, we still need to update it. Unfortunately it isn't just a simple replacement, it needs some time to make it work.

The Artful Dodger

#8 Post by The Artful Dodger »

Hi, Guys:
I've been using AM for a couple of months and I've come to the conclusion that AM doesn't need an editor - not with the likes of Notepad++ (and others - Notepad++ is simply my choice) and with the superb linkage which AM has to the default editor. My vote would be for AM to simply display the code but leave the editing to the default editor!

Sparky

Ralph

#9 Post by Ralph »

That's not going to happen, sorry :) But we will be updating the editor in a new version, because this version of the editor is a pain in the butt.

Sling

#10 Post by Sling »

The Artful Dodger wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:04 pm Hi, Guys:
I've been using AM for a couple of months and I've come to the conclusion that AM doesn't need an editor - not with the likes of Notepad++ (and others - Notepad++ is simply my choice) and with the superb linkage which AM has to the default editor. My vote would be for AM to simply display the code but leave the editing to the default editor!

Sparky
Code edits with an external app were the only choice back in the day and we have moved on from that. The internal editor is great for simple instruments of quick edits and anyone has a choice to use an external app of their choice so we currently have the best of both worlds. No need to change what we have other than improving the quirks with the builtin editor.