Trying to understand LUA and Xplane

Help creating logic scripts for Air Manager Instruments

Moderators: russ, Ralph

jph

Re: Trying to understand LUA and Xplane

#21 Post by jph »

Ah, that's good, I thought they would be ok,
the JST ones have thinner heads. If I remember correctly mine has removable jaws in different sizes. It is set up for coaxial cable at the moment.
You reminded me I was going to need a few spare male terminals for the 737 so I ordered a small pack of 500 :lol:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003 ... 1802p0z369
Last edited by jph on Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#22 Post by jph »

there is only a slight length difference as the actress said to the bishop but it is easier with the right one. iirc the XH is 4mm width on the head ?
https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/H7a3aaf8b015 ... 487b6c.jpg
Attachments
image.png
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Kaellis991

#23 Post by Kaellis991 »

A thinner crimper head would help. I have the XH 2.54. They are rather short.
The crimper I have only has two slots. The widest slot is right at 2mm and the other is slightly less.

jph

#24 Post by jph »

I meant also the width of the jaw unit itself. For the Dupont they tend to be wider - when looking at the end of the tool.
And yes the sizes can be a bit of a pain.
This is the nearest to the one I use. I have quite a few jaw sets for it. It mainly gets used with coax cable.
Mini-Hand-Crimping-Tool-SN-28B-01BM-03BM-2546B-2549-SN-02C-Terminal-Crimper-Pliers-Multifunctional.jpg_640x640.jpg
the jaw sizes are - (and the double step)
S5c131bc6b0e943ce98ba2708c4d3a565H.jpg
they are about 30 bucks but will last a lifetime.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Kaellis991

#25 Post by Kaellis991 »

What I have works ok with the short JST female pins. The width of crimper is about 4.5 mm. Not much of the pin left to hold on to.
116F3524-60CB-41A2-B69E-9DA6A3D4E30B.jpeg

jph

#26 Post by jph »

Those are fine. :D
I have some older Dupont that are too wide (across the jaw).
They look good quality.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Kaellis991

#27 Post by Kaellis991 »

I tried to get one that had good reviews

jph

#28 Post by jph »

Exactly !. Those you show look to have the hardened steel 'teeth' for compression (sometimes called wire steel). They will last longer than either of us ;)
I just bought some 20CM x 15CM protoboards for one of the main connection boards :shock:
Well, you need room don't you. No point trying to cram everything in :D
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Kaellis991

#29 Post by Kaellis991 »

As a resident of the "imperial" U.S. I had to do a CM to Inches conversion on those board dimensions. Thats huge....

jph

#30 Post by jph »

Kaellis991 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:41 pm As a resident of the "imperial" U.S. I had to do a CM to Inches conversion on those board dimensions. Thats huge....
Yes, I forgot you are really one of our colonies :lol:
There are 3 of those boards going in along with some 'smaller' 15 x 10 CM boards (6" x 4") as sub boards and also just connector boards with, say, a 40 pin in and many different output types.
You can see the centralised approach used here https://sismo-soluciones.com/index.php? ... r=category and they run a downmarket ( ;) ) version of what I am putting together. No seriously, there stuff is good, but there are better hardware options now that can be built for pennies and there are things I require that they simply cannot do.
Everything will be plug in modules - even the processors like the pico will plug to a 'main board'
I like their gear but it is too restrictive, too expensive and it doesn't do all I want it to do.
For example, I reckon a 128 pin input board to my design will cost less around 20 dollars in parts and be bullet proof. Similar price for the output boards with 15mA drivers and also boards with 150mA and 500 mA per pin (outputs), as well as addressable RGB leds. Similar again - around 20 to 30 dollars target price in parts - for motor drive units, high current DC, stepper and servo. No pcbs so anyone can play along at home..
Fixed soldered connections and screw connections are a total non starter for me, it has to be plug in. The investment in tools is easily recovered - luckily, I have all the tools but they aren't expensive really. The main cost is in the connectors , plugs, sockets, headers and wiring, not in electronics, and imho you need those connections anyway in something like a home cockpit with hardware, as you have demonstrated.
It's all good fun.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.