More than 1 of the same Arduino

Support for Arduino in combination with Air Manager and Air Player

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Kaellis991

More than 1 of the same Arduino

#1 Post by Kaellis991 »

I have these (4) types of arduinos running for my cockpit....Uno, Micro, Nano and Leonardo, (4) of the (5) that are compatible with AM. I cant use a Mega 2560 because my RealSimgear GPS has one of those and it conflicts with any 2560 I try to installed for AM.

After searching google and the AM site, I cant find any specific comments about this, but is it possible to connect (2) of the same type of Arduino at the same time?
I am beginning to think it's not possible since I plugged in another Micro and in my device manager that new micro arduino did not appear in the list which also includes a previous micro.
Is it correct that if I need (5) arduinos they all have to be unique types?

jph

Re: More than 1 of the same Arduino

#2 Post by jph »

Hi Kirk,
You can connect up to 16 of each type with the current AM
They will be named A to P ..well, YOU will assign the suffix to P when flashing them.
It sounds like you are trying to assign a designator to the real sim thing. Unplug that, flash your new mega, assign the letter you want for it, A to P and then ensure you select the appropriate device suffix when assigning pins.
The com port of the realsim thing will keep the same com port number even if moved between ports.. that is IF they used a mega without a CH34x serial usb chip. It is important to know its com port number of thid real sim thing so you can avoid it. Simply unplug all usb com devices apart from the realsim and note its com port numer in device manager, then plug it into a few different usb ports and hubs if you have them. The com port number should stay the same, if so, make a big note of it
In large letters in red crayon :) and don't try to assign it in Aair manager. Job sorted. Joe;)
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Kaellis991

#3 Post by Kaellis991 »

jph wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:42 am Hi Kirk,
You can connect up to 16 of each type with the current AM
They will be named A to P ..well, YOU will assign the suffix to P when flashing them.
It sounds like you are trying to assign a designator to the real sim thing. Unplug that, flash your new mega, assign the letter you want for it, A to P and then ensure you select the appropriate device suffix when assigning pins.
The com port of the realsim thing will keep the same com port number even if moved between ports.. that is IF they used a mega without a CH34x serial usb chip. It is important to know its com port number of thid real sim thing so you can avoid it. Simply unplug all usb com devices apart from the realsim and note its com port numer in device manager, then plug it into a few different usb ports and hubs if you have them. The com port number should stay the same, if so, make a big note of it
In large letters in red crayon :) and don't try to assign it in Aair manager. Job sorted. Joe;)
Joe,
I saw that comment in AM about the 16 of each type. Does that mean AM can handle 16 Nanos plus 16 micros plus 16 UNOs, etc. such that with the 5 different models of Arduinos that AM allows there could be 5x16 or 80 arduinos connected to AM?
I am familiar with assigning a lettered channel when assigning the arduino pins to the hardware / instruments.

Windows device manager lists the names of the arduinos in the COM ports assigned if its a Mega, Uno, micro or Leonardo. The Nanos are shown only as a USB device in the list of com ports used. The word Nano never appears in the list of ports being assigned.
Those com ports are automatically assigned whenever i plug in a new arduino. I've never figured out how to assign a particular com port to any of the arduinos.

All i need to do is add another micro. The way to do that is to unplug the micro i have connected and flash the new micro while assigning channel B to it.
Looks like AM automatically assigns the letter A to the first device by default. I see now how to assign a channel letter.

But there is a device manager issue i dont understand. The current micro i have is assigned to com port 25. When i plug in the second micro it does not appear in the device manager. If i unplugged the first micro where it disappears from device manage and then connect the second micro that second micro takes over port 25 that the first one was using and then appears in the list of assigned com ports in device manager.
It doesnt look like i can have the same arduino name show more than once in device manager. Windows 10 cant seem to differentiate between two of the same arduinos.

EDIT: Windows just made a liar out of me. I tried connecting the second Micro again this time and... lo and behold, the Micro appears twice now in device manager....ports 25 and now port 33. One time it doesnt work, then it does...go figure.
So the second Micro is now installed and flashed as Channel B and shows in the AM device list as such...

Also, i have tried the Mega2560 to work with the realsimgear multiple times and ways. It always wipes out my GPS button assignments. Even talked to a realsimgear tech. He told me the two cannot coexist.

Kirk

jph

#4 Post by jph »

Hi Kirk,
yes, by suffix, I mean the actual Alpha letter you assign from the pulldown menu - A to P

Yes, in theory you could have 16 of each.

Unless there is something I am missing the realsimgear tech is talking nonsense. On a hardware level there is no reason at all why they cannot coexist.

Whether a com port re-enumerates to the same com port number when plugged into a different port is down to the Serial to USB converter on the micro.
Some will always assign to the same com port umber, some will change depending on which usb port you plug it into.

I suspect some of your devices have serial / usb converters that re-enumerate to each com port. The CH34x type do this. Common on types sourced from China.

The easiest way is to always plug the device into the exact same USB connector, or if using a hub, into the exact same usb hub port, and also the hub must be plugged into the exact same mainboard port.

You can find your ports by unplugging everything, then plug them in one at a time in the exact position - port - hub port etc where you want them to go, then label them and dont move them.
Only AFTER this should you flash them with the AM software.
You should then be good to go. Just don't move them around.

As for the real sim stuff. If you are running it on it's own software then it is completely outside of AM. I believe you can use air manger if you reflash it - and if you do the same rules apply.

As an experiment, unplug everything and just plug in the real sim thing, then unplug it and change ports, do this for 3 or 4 ports and see if it always keeps the same com port ? - let me know please - it SHOULD !!

Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Kaellis991

#5 Post by Kaellis991 »

In windows device manager its easy to identify the ports for the different arduinos and the Realsimgear GPS.
All the arduinos, except for the Nano. will broadcast their names to the device manager.

In AM it's a little more difficult to determine which port each arduino is connected to since AM will not display the associated port once the device is recognized and displayed in the device list.

jph

#6 Post by jph »

yes, ;)
which is exactly why I listed the steps to manually identify and label the devices one by one, note the ports, mark the devices, flash them and note the device suffix you allocate. Keep them in the same spot so you know :mrgreen: :D
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Kaellis991

#7 Post by Kaellis991 »

The reason I am looking at adding a 5th arduino, is because I have run out of digital pins on some on my arduinos and especially an UNO that is in the best location for adding a 5 position rotary switch.
After looking at the hardware ID list for the UNO I see that the analog pins are checked as being usable for switches.
Since I still need to add 5 pins for that 5 position rotary switch , can I use just the analog pins on my UNO for those and not add another Micro for those 5 digital pins?
image.png

Kaellis991

#8 Post by Kaellis991 »

jph wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:52 pm yes, ;)
which is exactly why I listed the steps to manually identify and label the devices one by one, note the ports, mark the devices, flash them and note the device suffix you allocate. Keep them in the same spot so you know :mrgreen: :D
I have them all labeled now...

jph

#9 Post by jph »

:lol:

Nice. ;)

Yes, you can use the pins on the UNO, you could use any digital inputs.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Kaellis991

#10 Post by Kaellis991 »

jph wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:20 pm
:lol:

Nice. ;)

Yes, you can use the pins on the UNO, you could use any digital inputs.
Joe
I always assumed I could only use the "D" pins. If I can use A0 thru A4 for my rotary switch then I do not need to add another arduino to the mix.
Problem solved.

And to follow up on your comments about 220 ohm resistors with INPUTS, should I also add them between the rotary switch terminals and the analog pins?
Last edited by Kaellis991 on Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.