Premium Garmin G5 question MSFS

Peer support for Air Manager desktop users

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Ralph

Re: Premium Garmin G5 question MSFS

#61 Post by Ralph »

Ryan from Pilot Workshops was so kind to do some testing for me. It looked like the glide slope variable works fine with the default GNS, but not with add-on GPS's like the TDS and PMS50. Those do not always set the variables to their correct state, it varies between aircraft.

So for now it looks like the problem is with the add-ons. Unless people see this happening with the default GNS as well, then it might be in the G5 script.

mrpete

#62 Post by mrpete »

Not sure if this will help or not, I have been using the Garmin GI 106 instruments with Xplane and MSFS. And like the G5 the glidescope in MSFS would only work on ILS approaches.

After adding the below code I have it working on both LPV and LNAV+V: also adding the two complete files in the attachment
Attachments-airmang.zip
(47.72 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
--convert the glideslope flag information from FS to X-Plane information
WAS: -- local glideslopeflag1 = fif(glideslopeflag1, 0, 1)
New
if (glideslopeflag1 == 1) then
local glideslopeflag1 = fif(glideslopeflag1, 0, 1) else
local glideslopeflag1 = fif(hsi_gsi_flag, 0, 1)
end

using the standard steam gauge 172 with the built in GNS530/430 - also had the same result with PMS750/650

Ralph

#63 Post by Ralph »

It's already fixed, but we still have to publish the update, because there are one or two more things I want to fix as well. All workarounds for MSFS crappy variables.

The only thing that cannot be fixed is no DME distance with a GPS flight plan loaded, the data from the simulator just stays at zero.

Sling

#64 Post by Sling »

I remember fixing the GI-106 but it looks like I forgot to upload the new one. There is the next batch of community submission instruments coming so i’ll try to include the GI-106 update in that. I think it’s linked on the forum here somewhere if you want to try beforehand.

SimPassion

#65 Post by SimPassion »

Not found any downloadable GI-106 in the forums, Tony

Sling

#66 Post by Sling »

Hmm,

What did I do with that then. I’ll see if I can find it and upload the updated one to the community store.

Toddimus

#67 Post by Toddimus »

Ralph wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 2:47 pm It's already fixed, but we still have to publish the update, because there are one or two more things I want to fix as well. All workarounds for MSFS crappy variables.

The only thing that cannot be fixed is no DME distance with a GPS flight plan loaded, the data from the simulator just stays at zero.
I'm wondering if one of those things you are looking at is the turn coordination ball when on the ground, at idle. It's really "noisy" in that the ball jumps back and forth like crazy. During flight, it's fine but when on the ground at engine idle, it's annoying.

Any chance you could add some low-pass filtering or averaging to get rid of the crazy spikes? Pretty sure I had to do that for our Simstrumentation 414AW turn coordinator.

Thanks!

-Todd
Simstrumentation Instrument developer
Check us out http://www.simstrumentation.com or https://github.com/Simstrumentation/Air-Manager

Ralph

#68 Post by Ralph »

The noise is coming from the simulator. In my opinion Microsoft has to fix this.

Toddimus

#69 Post by Toddimus »

Yeah, I know it's coming from the simulator but I highly doubt it will be fixed anytime soon. And I know you could fix it easily. Pretty please?? :D

Just a running average of like 5 samples would probably do the trick.
Simstrumentation Instrument developer
Check us out http://www.simstrumentation.com or https://github.com/Simstrumentation/Air-Manager

Ralph

#70 Post by Ralph »

I tried it, but it also messed up the responsiveness. I think that it is gone with >0 groundspeed, maybe I can just ignore any input with a groundspeed below 1 knot.