Premium Garmin G5 question MSFS

Peer support for Air Manager desktop users

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Sling

Re: Premium Garmin G5 question MSFS

#21 Post by Sling »

MatthewS2077 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:29 am
Ralph wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:17 pm That's still something I have to implement I think, I remember that there was a way to see if it is in Rnav mode. I will see if I can find that topic...
There's a simvar GPS_APPROACH_APPROACH_TYPE that lets you check if it's a RNAV approach.
https://docs.flightsimulator.com/html/P ... ROACH_TYPE
You don’t say what is not working correctly just that RNAV doesn’t work. What specifically doesn’t work? I doubt the simvar you listed will help. If the issue is vertical guidance then you may be out of luck for now until WT finally get round to writing to the correct simvars. I asked about this quite some time ago and was told it will come in a future update but that was G1000 related and I fear they have been distracted with more new stuff before actually completely finishing the existing products. Unfortunately that tends to be Microsoft’s MO and it also tends to flow out to anyone who does work on the sim for them.

All that said I haven’t checked the RNAV vertical guidance stuff in a while but it’s on my list of things to check again. If your issue is not this and something else then please share the exact issue and perhaps someone can shed some light on it.

Ralph

#22 Post by Ralph »

If there's no vertical and horizontal data, then that variable is indeed pointless. Nice to know that it is Rnav, but then you have to show something moving :)

Crunchmeister

#23 Post by Crunchmeister »

There has to be something that works because the generic KI525A HSI in the community store will display the glidepath indicator for RNAV approaches.
- Ryzen 5950x, 64GB 3600MHz RAM, RTX3070Ti

Simstrumentation Instrument dev
Free Air Manager instruments for MSFS available at http://www.simstrumentation.com

Ralph

#24 Post by Ralph »

In that case there probably still is horizontal and vertical information.

I will need someone, @MatthewS2077 for example, to set up some flights with Rnav, so I can test it through TeamViewer.

Crunchmeister

#25 Post by Crunchmeister »

Sling wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:15 pm You don’t say what is not working correctly just that RNAV doesn’t work.
The G5 does work for RNAV. There's just no glidepath indicator. But it will capture the glidepath without issue. I use the G5 in several of my panels, and as far as I can tell from my non-pilot perspective, it works as it should. It just lacks the indicator. Not saying that this lack of indicator is correct, but you can still shoot RNAV approaches. You're just doing it blind in terms of your instruments, which is not ideal. I tend to follow along on my Navigraph map to ensure that I'm capturing the glidepath when I'm supposed to. Or on planes with the PMS50 GTN750, you can display a GS indicator on the GTN, and I'll use that. But barring any external issues, it's always captured even if it's not indicated.
Ralph wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:44 pm In that case there probably still is horizontal and vertical information.
Obviously on the HSI it's still a green indicator vs magenta. I haven't dug into its code in depth by any means, but from a cursory glance, it seems that the variable "HSI GSI NEEDLE" drives both ILS and RNAV glidepath data.

Perhaps it could be as simple as using the "GPS_APPROACH_APPROACH_TYPE" var suggested earlier in this thread to determine whether the indicator should be displayed in green or magenta? I don't know enough about the mechanics of how the GPS works in order to make an informed suggestion by any means, but it does seem like this var could be useful.

GPS APPROACH APPROACH TYPE, Enum
0 = None
1 = GPS
2 = VOR
3 = NDB
4 = ILS
5 = Localizer
6 = SDF
7 = LDA
8 = VOR/ DME
9 = NDB/ DME
10 = RNAV
11 = Backcourse

On a side note, I think the G5 is great and I use it a lot. IMHO, the lack of an RNAV glidepath indicator is really the only thing that's missing to make it perfect.

Free Air Manager instruments for MSFS available at http://www.simstrumentation.com

MatthewS2077

#26 Post by MatthewS2077 »

Sling wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:15 pm
You don’t say what is not working correctly just that RNAV doesn’t work. What specifically doesn’t work? I doubt the simvar you listed will help. If the issue is vertical guidance then you may be out of luck for now until WT finally get round to writing to the correct simvars. I asked about this quite some time ago and was told it will come in a future update but that was G1000 related and I fear they have been distracted with more new stuff before actually completely finishing the existing products. Unfortunately that tends to be Microsoft’s MO and it also tends to flow out to anyone who does work on the sim for them.

All that said I haven’t checked the RNAV vertical guidance stuff in a while but it’s on my list of things to check again. If your issue is not this and something else then please share the exact issue and perhaps someone can shed some light on it.
Yes, it's just the vertical guidance that's not being displayed for RNAV approaches. I tested a ILS approach and i see the vertical guidance (ie above/below GS).

But the FlightFX Vision Jet (MSFS) does display the vertical guidance for RNAV approaches on it's PFD, so I presume that it's getting that above/below data from a standard simvar which presumably the G5 can also use.

But, maybe the VisionJet is not using a standard simvar and is instead reading some custom "hvar/lvar" from WT? Maybe you can have the G5 also read that same custom WT "hvar/lvar" ?

I'm just guessing, not 100% sure how it's working internally...

Anyway, off to pickup a Asus touch screen to use with AirManager
https://www.asus.com/us/displays-deskto ... -pa148ctv/

Crunchmeister

#27 Post by Crunchmeister »

MatthewS2077 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:30 pm But the FlightFX Vision Jet (MSFS) does display the vertical guidance for RNAV approaches on it's PFD
So does every other plane in MSFS. There's nothing custom about the vertical guidance on the Vision Jet. Any plane in MSFS with a G1000, G3000, G3X, or the Asobo G5 (I think only the C310R uses that so far) all show the RNAV glide path on their PFD. Any plane that uses the 3rd party PMS50 GTN750 can choose to enable the glide slope indicator on their GTN screen (not a feature of the real thing). So do the analog instruments. The variable that displays the vertical guidance is HSI GSI NEEDLE. It guides for both ILS and RNAV and is accessible.

The Vision Jet is irrelevant to this topic really.

MatthewS2077

#28 Post by MatthewS2077 »

Crunchmeister wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:53 pm
MatthewS2077 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:30 pm But the FlightFX Vision Jet (MSFS) does display the vertical guidance for RNAV approaches on it's PFD
So does every other plane in MSFS. There's nothing custom about the vertical guidance on the Vision Jet. Any plane in MSFS with a G1000, G3000, G3X, or the Asobo G5 (I think only the C310R uses that so far) all show the RNAV glide path on their PFD. Any plane that uses the 3rd party PMS50 GTN750 can choose to enable the glide slope indicator on their GTN screen (not a feature of the real thing). So do the analog instruments. The variable that displays the vertical guidance is HSI GSI NEEDLE. It guides for both ILS and RNAV and is accessible.

The Vision Jet is irrelevant to this topic really.
Ok, so probably the G5 is only reading HSI GSI NEEDLE when GPS_APPROACH_APPROACH_TYPE is ILS, and he needs to update it to also read HSI GSI NEEDLE (and display guidance) when GPS_APPROACH_APPROACH_TYPE is RNAV too. Sounds like a simple fix. Shame the code is not available, the community could fix it.

Crunchmeister

#29 Post by Crunchmeister »

It could potentially be something that simple.

In any case, we now know that both ILS and RNAV use HSI GSI NEEDLE for their indicator. RNAV GSI is possible.

Sling

#30 Post by Sling »

Crunchmeister wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:08 pm There has to be something that works because the generic KI525A HSI in the community store will display the glidepath indicator for RNAV approaches.
Are you certain of this because at one point nothing was working for RNAV vertical deviation. I haven’t checked for a few weeks though. Have you seen this work out of beta for instance? For info there are 2 525’s but one is named after the whole compass system.