Knob XP scripting

Support for KnobXP, share your experience and KnobXP modes.

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Kaellis991

Knob XP scripting

#1 Post by Kaellis991 »

My Knobster is working well finally, but I want to set it up for my Com2 and Nav2.

When I turn the NAV2 knobs in the sim I see the change to the Nav2 course and fine up/down datarefs.
I have tried using those in the NAV2 mode script but the knobster only changes the dataref display.

The knobster changes the datarefs that show in the dataref tool, but they do not affect the freq numbers or the movement of the knobs on the Nav2 radio in the sim.

There are a couple of commands; "thranda/NAV2/ActvInnerKnob", "thranda/NAV2/ActvOuterKnob" that I believe have something to do with this because they light up when the knobs are moved in the sim.
Those commands do nothing when used in the mode script.

I have tried both the datarefs and the commands but nothing affects the sim display.

Can these mode scripts use either datarefs or commands?
Is it even possible to get this NAV2 script working with this aircraft of mine and it's custom thranda commands?

The second COM and NAV radio are basic radios without a standby mode, but it seems that the knobster is actually changing the stby frequencies and not the active freqs.
Last edited by Kaellis991 on Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SimPassion

Re: Knob XP scripting

#2 Post by SimPassion »

Kaellis991 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:47 pm The knobster changes the datarefs that show in the dataref tool, but they do not affect the freq numbers or the movement of the knobs on the Nav2 radio in the sim.

There are a couple of commands; "thranda/NAV2/ActvInnerKnob", "thranda/NAV2/ActvOuterKnob" that I believe have something to do with this because they light up when the knobs are moved in the sim.
Which aircraft did you used ?

Kaellis991

#3 Post by Kaellis991 »

SimPassion wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:55 pm
Kaellis991 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:47 pm The knobster changes the datarefs that show in the dataref tool, but they do not affect the freq numbers or the movement of the knobs on the Nav2 radio in the sim.

Which aircraft did you used ?
I am using the Just Flight Piper Arrow III.

Here is what I have with the datarefs and the mode script. The knobster is changing the stby datarefs and not the actv.
Can these scripts use datarefs and commands?
image.png

Kaellis991

#4 Post by Kaellis991 »

These are the Com2 and Nav2 radios in the aircraft...

Something I find confusing is that when I press the knobster inner knob it swaps the freq in that Nav2 window. These second radios don't have that function yet there is a freq swap in the window.
image.png

SimPassion

#5 Post by SimPassion »

Kaellis991 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:59 pm I am using the Just Flight Piper Arrow III.

Here is what I have with the datarefs and the mode script. The knobster is changing the stby datarefs and not the actv.
Can these scripts use datarefs and commands?
Just a small point, the universal standard behavior is to set the standby frequency then swap it to the active window, or did I missed something ?
So, in this specific aircraft which doesn't bring the NAV2 STDBY frequency on visual, we are forced to perform the frequency setting "in the dark" or use an additional AM instrument which bring us real-time visual on running NAV2 STDBY Freq

PA-28_Arrow_III_NAV2_Behavior_KnobXP_01.jpg

Kaellis991

#6 Post by Kaellis991 »

That is correct about setting the standby with radios designed with the swap window like it is on the GNS 530.
But these second radios do not have a standby freq. function. Turn the knob(s) and you change the active directly in the only freq window they have. Very basic radios....
Unfortunately, those datarefs I am trying to use are for the active freqs, but the knobster is changing the standby frequencies which of course there is no such thing with these basic radios.

So the datarefs are not designed to use a basic radio? And the only freqs that can be changed are the standby freqs?

Somehow I am stuck on standby freq. mode for these radios....

How does one completely clear or reset the KnobXp plugin?

SimPassion

#7 Post by SimPassion »

Kaellis991 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:32 pm That is correct about setting the standby with radios designed with the swap window like it is on the GNS 530.
But these second radios do not have a standby freq. function. Turn the knob(s) and you change the active directly in the only freq window they have. Very basic radios....
Unfortunately, those datarefs I am trying to use are for the active freqs, but the knobster is changing the standby frequencies which of course there is no such thing with these basic radios.

So the datarefs are not designed to use a basic radio? And the only freqs that can be changed are the standby freqs?

Somehow I am stuck on standby freq. mode for these radios....

How does one completely clear or reset the KnobXp plugin?
Yes this knob is changing the ActvInnerKnob and ActvOuterKnob dataref, not the stdby ones

PA-28_Arrow_III_NAV2_Behavior_KnobXP_02.jpg

SimPassion

#8 Post by SimPassion »

Additionally, there's no Thranda commands for it
I will have a look in it and come back in a few minutes

Kaellis991

#9 Post by Kaellis991 »

SimPassion wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:48 pm Additionally, there's no Thranda commands for it
Thanks,

I dont know for sure but it seems like the original NAV2 mode script is still loaded in Xplane. The original is where I started and it is specifically written for the standby freqs.
It seems like that script is still running and I was wondering how I can make sure that original script is still not being read by the KnobXP plugin.

SimPassion

#10 Post by SimPassion »

Kaellis991 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:09 pm
SimPassion wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:48 pm Additionally, there's no Thranda commands for it
Thanks,

I dont know for sure but it seems like the original NAV2 mode script is still loaded in Xplane. The original is where I started and it is specifically written for the standby freqs.
It seems like that script is still running and I was wondering how I can make sure that original script is still not being read by the KnobXP plugin.
No, it's only the aircraft specific config which determines which module is loaded, no worries if the original is set to false and the new is set to true, all is right