Raspberry PICO not working with message port, named hardware

Discuss suspected bugs with other users and Sim Innovations Staff

Moderators: russ, Ralph

SimPassion

Re: Raspberry PICO not working with message port, named hardware

#11 Post by SimPassion »

jph wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:38 pm Oh, thanks Gilles, appreciated but luckily that link is is not relevant at it applies to another environment completely.
I'm fully Ok with your statement Joe, as I'm not already gone in deep in Pico handling, so I let you elaborate on the dev part, still highly interesting and thanks to Wendy for starting this thread and request.
It looks like this Pico device would deserve to be used a lot in my setup. But hey, no time for it, for the moment, on my own.

jph

#12 Post by jph »

It's definitely one to watch Gilles, absolutely amazing unit. And the best thing, it is less than 5 euro !. the genuine article. Truly awesome. I am not underestimating when I say I could run a complete overhead or pedestal with a single pico and AM Messageport - along with appropriate hardware such as I/O expanders etc. But the whole thing would be less than the cost of a genuine mega or two and a single connection to AM.
I keep enthusing about it but it is just that good.
It also has a fully programmable I/O unit built in (PIO) where you can set up complete hardware SPI solutions, I2C , Chose your pins- etc etc. These units run in the background so are fire and forget, and you are still left with full dual core processing. for less than 5 euros !. :shock: :o ,, Hardware Interrupts on EVERY I/O. Wow !.

I started my electronics journey with the military in 1973. I never thought I would live to see anything like this. I am damn happy I have done though (so far haha)
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

wendy

#13 Post by wendy »

Thanks Joe, I'll see if I have some multiplexers here to test with, will be something for next week. Thanks for the code to do the test.

@Gilles
Nice to see you back.

Regards, Wendy

SimPassion

#14 Post by SimPassion »

wendy wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:05 pm Thanks Joe, I'll see if I have some multiplexers here to test with, will be something for next week. Thanks for the code to do the test.

@Gilles
Nice to see you back.

Regards, Wendy
Thanks Wendy, glad you're also on flight simulation projects at the moment. Do you plan in a near future, to restart sim parts selling ? On my own, I'm still not at the same level of working dynamic for flight simulation than before, just hope I will reach to achieve soon on several objectives, there's so much to design and build ...
Restarting slowly and patiently, XP12 and FS2020 are bringing some new potentials together

wendy

#15 Post by wendy »

Hello Gilles,

I still continue supporting the flightsim community with different projects. Officially the webshop is closed but I still have everything (almost) in stock and if in need of something just mail me. Address is on the website or via PM.

Keep up the good work, Gilles

Regards, Wendy

Corjan

#16 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

Never knew that there was a thing like RS232 baud rate negotiation.
Found some bits and pieces on the web, but nothing really explaining how it works.

From what I see from win32 documentation, there is a handshaking something, but that seems to be aimed more at flow control:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... inbase-dcb

Do you have more inside knowledge about this maybe Joe?

Corjan

wendy

#17 Post by wendy »

@Corjan
Certainly above my knowledge, sorry.

Regards, Wendy

jph

#18 Post by jph »

Hi Corjan,

I may also be describing the process completely incorrectly as I am describing more what can I observe as opposed to what I know. It is probably something simple though.

I don't have any of the windows programming tools these days but I suspect if you were to compile the most simple serial monitor program it - in theory - should work out of the box. I don't think there is anything special you need to do to accommodate a vcp. Is there any changes you made to AM when you were limiting com port grabbing ? - I can't see how ? - and I don't have an earlier version to test with.

This is from a straight plug in of the pico with MP running. Am running and a transparent serial monitor -
Basically, I can see that AM is sending it's 3 byte data every 15 seconds or so as in - (AM bottom, device top)
Device waiting - AM bottom - device top.jpg
and then if I open a putty session (or ANY other program that can access the serial port at 115200) the buffer in messageport releases information - however - as can be seen by the screen in putty - it is not recognisable at 115200.
accessing port with putty at 115200 - AM closed for this.jpg
but the fact that putty - or anything else it seems - has now accessed the device it appears to now be set to 115200 and will perform as expected

(more to follow in a moment --------)
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#19 Post by jph »

This is a normal startup of AM / PICO messageport AFTER accessing via any terminal program first.
normal startup with PICO - called UNO here - after accessing port with terminal program first.jpg
As an experiment, as I can see the - what I will call - 'challenge' bytes 0xFF 0x01 0x01 being sent from AM and awaiting a response from the MP device on VCP, I thought to myself....

'Self. :) why not pretend to be AM with a terminal program (realterm in this case) and send the above byte sequence to a freshly plugged in PICO with MP and see what happens'
So I did, and - bugger me - the device (PICO) responded as expected.
(EDIT _ See next post for a corrected version of this image !) - Joe
correctly accessed via realterm.jpg
so all I can do is to offer info, but I am as baffled as you.
At least we can definitively rule out anything at the PICO VCP end I believe as we just created a 'virtual' Air Manager with 'real term'

Setting up realterm to send the data correctly had me slightly confused but this is a really useful video for setup to send the data correctly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWzXQFv ... l=ZinaTech
Joe
Last edited by jph on Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#20 Post by jph »

Slight correction to the above image - I hadn't checked the 'after' checkbox - the data is correct - here is a start from scratch realterm as described above to
pretend to be 'mother AM'
all is well
correctly accessed via realterm.jpg
Joe. CISSP, MSc.