A Question, Please

Peer support for Air Manager desktop users

Moderators: russ, Ralph

The Artful Dodger

A Question, Please

#1 Post by The Artful Dodger »

Hello:

I was just looking through some of the instruments from the library and I noticed a couple of them have interesting subscriptions and one (for the Bombardier Challenger 300) in particular) caught my eye! I'm hoping someone can explain where exactly the author of the instruments obtained these subscriptions:

Code: Select all

"cl300/refspds_v1", "INT", 
"cl300/refspds_vr", "INT", 
"cl300/refspds_v2", "INT", 
"cl300/refspds_vt", "INT", 
"cl300/refspds_vga", "INT", 
"cl300/refspds_vref", "INT",

There are a number of others but that should be enough to get the idea. My question: Where do these values come from and how does one obtain them for a given aircraft?

Thanks in advance.

Sparky

Ralph

Re: A Question, Please

#2 Post by Ralph »

You can find custom datarefs with the datarefs tool.

The Artful Dodger

#3 Post by The Artful Dodger »

Hi, Ralph:

I guess I left out a very important part of my question - I'm using Microsoft Flight Simulator, not XPlane. Does that mean I'm out of luck?

Sparky

Ralph

#4 Post by Ralph »

Ooh, I assumed it was X-Plane because of the integers. Maybe at Hubhop, but I'm not sure about their secret. There's a developers window, but a lot of those variables do not work. Maybe they scoop around in the XML files, I'm not sure...

https://hubhop.mobiflight.com/presets/

Sling

#5 Post by Sling »

You have to be Sherlock Holmes when dealing with MSFS aircraft. It’s not as easy to find what you need as it is with say x-plane. It’s not always the same place you find the answers either. I hope your reading of RPN is good because a reasonable understanding of that helps in a few cases.

The Artful Dodger

#6 Post by The Artful Dodger »

Hi, Guys:
I guess I had best explain what information I was looking for and what I was going to use it for.
You probably know I'm building a Head-Up-Display. I figure there's no reason why it won't work in any aircraft in the FS2020 sim. So, I thought it would be nice if, using my HUD, you could simply jump into any airplane in the inventory and fly it. But, it would help if the instrument already knew, for example, all of critical speeds (rotation, approach) and all the other information that differs by airplane. And, since the sim knows which airplane you are flying, I was looking for a way for the instrument to download from the sim all of this information. And when I saw that that kind of information was already in X-Plane, I assumed (bad thing to do!!) it was in FS2020 too.
Last night I was looking through the aircraft.cfg file for the C152 and it doesn't seem to be there so the creators of each airplane doesn't have to provide that info when creating each config file.
Oh, well, my mind is still thinking about it and I may still come up with a way. But, thanks for your suggestions - at least I know one door is closed and that forces me to look elsewhere!

Sparky

Ralph

#7 Post by Ralph »

Those are indeed not available in FS2020, as far as I know.
You can read the name of the aircraft, then pick from your own made list of data according to the aircraft you're flying.

The Artful Dodger

#8 Post by The Artful Dodger »

Hi, Ralph:
That's what I'm assuming too. It's sad really - the designers of the airplane spend soooo much time designing every aspect of the airplane but don't include such basic handling info. But, my mind is still thinking.
A question - I assume Sim Innovations has a copy of X-Plane and, very likely, the Datareftool you mentioned. Does X-Plane have all the V-Speeds for all the planes or just a select few? If it has it for all of its planes, I'm wondering if it would be worth it to buy it (it's quite cheap right now) just to extract all this data?

Sparky

SimPassion

#9 Post by SimPassion »

The Artful Dodger wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:33 pm Hi, Ralph:
That's what I'm assuming too. It's sad really - the designers of the airplane spend soooo much time designing every aspect of the airplane but don't include such basic handling info. But, my mind is still thinking.
A question - I assume Sim Innovations has a copy of X-Plane and, very likely, the Datareftool you mentioned. Does X-Plane have all the V-Speeds for all the planes or just a select few? If it has it for all of its planes, I'm wondering if it would be worth it to buy it (it's quite cheap right now) just to extract all this data?

Sparky
Hi Sparky, did you noticed DataRefTool is a free downloadable X-Plane plugin / Tool ? : https://github.com/leecbaker/datareftool/releases

Ralph

#10 Post by Ralph »

@The Artful Dodger you can download the demo for free, I'm not sure which aircraft are in there. But generally that data will probably be available online, with a Google search.

Baron 58 for example.
http://krepelka.com/fsweb/learningcente ... aron58.htm