KnobXP script clarification needed

Support for KnobXP, share your experience and KnobXP modes.

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Kaellis991

KnobXP script clarification needed

#1 Post by Kaellis991 »

I have a knobster that I purchased more than a year ago. It’s been sitting in a drawer since I first tried it out back then.
So I’m getting back to it and started by using Air Manager to add an altimeter and HSI instrument to my panel. But I have to assign it to those instruments. Seemed to be working okay except I needed to use the mouse to select the appropriate instrument first since I do not have a touch screen. For me that is not the best solution.

Then I discovered KnobXP and installed it in my plug-ins folder. It is working fine except that there are no pre-defined control modes for setting my VORs or setting the directional gyro to the compass.
The instructions for creating additional modes talks about creating a json file with a script for the xplane dataref but it doesn’t explain where the scripts need be placed in the folder structure.

So I did some investigating and opened the config json to see how to do that assuming that all the control mode scripts were in there. But that config file has just a few lines of information that appears to be position numbers I assume is for the pop up window that opens in Xplane? Are the new control mode scripts to be added below those lines of code or are the control mode scripts located elsewhere? The instructions on Siminnovations website are not clear about that.

Also there is another folder in the KnobXP folder called modes with a lot of individual json files for different control modes. Two of those, Nav1 OBS and Nav2 OBS are what I need but how do I get them to show up in the Xplane pop up from the plugins manager?

I want to use the Knobster for setting the HSI to the compass, the autopilot heading bug, the barometer setting, and the OBS for VOR1 and VOR2.
The baro setting and the autopilot heading bug are available as pre-defined modes but the pop up in Xplane doesn’t show a control mode for the Nav1 and Nav2 OBS nor for setting the DG to the compass.

How to I get those two control modes that are in that modes folder into my control mode list in Xplane and if I want to create a new control mode script, where is that script to be placed in the KnobXP folder?

Also how do I pare down the list of control modes to just those 5? I don’t need most of those that show up as a default.
The Siminnovations wiki page says that modes can be turned off with the KnobXP settings window in Xplane. That window does not open when I select KnobXP / settings.

Edit: No need now for anyone to respond. I figured it out…
Kirk

jph

Re: KnobXP script clarification needed

#2 Post by jph »

Hi Kirk, well, I thought it worth a response :) - even though you don't explain whatever you found. :D

For these kind of tasks then surely is it not easier to use the mouse and the scroll wheel ?. The scroll wheel acts like a knobster when you dont have touch.
And of course, because you have a very thick panel over the instrument monitor it is also possible to fit small encoders in their for instruments that have an adjustment knob.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Kaellis991

#3 Post by Kaellis991 »

Hey Joe,

With no information from the Siminnovations wiki page I stumbled upon having to open a json file that is named PA28 Arrow in the Knob XP folder within the plugins folder. I guess that was a default script file because I do not know how it was created but it was the script that knobster was reading from.

Anyway, In that json file are a number of control mode scripts. Each of them have a true or false line. I just changed those that I did not want active to “false” and vice versa.

Doing it this way and with the knobster mounted to the side of my gps / transponder I now don’t need to use the mouse at all.
That’s been my main goal in life for over a year. Some of us have modest life goals.

Ralph

#4 Post by Ralph »

It is perfectly explained here:
https://siminnovations.com/wiki/index.p ... ser_manual

There are even example images of the menu's.

Kaellis991

#5 Post by Kaellis991 »

Ralph wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:46 pm It is perfectly explained here:
https://siminnovations.com/wiki/index.p ... ser_manual

There are even example images of the menu's.
I read that one page over and over again and I didn’t find any explanation about what file the knobster is reading from and that the true / false line turns the control mode on or off. Perhaps that is handled by the knobster settings window in Xplane. But that window does not open for me.

Ralph

#6 Post by Ralph »

You dont have to modify any files, that's why it isn't described. You would be the first one for who this does not open, so I'm not really in with this. Can you please make a little video to show that you're following all the steps?

SimPassion

#7 Post by SimPassion »

Kaellis991 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:57 pm I read that one page over and over again and I didn’t find any explanation about what file the knobster is reading from and that the true / false line turns the control mode on or off. Perhaps that is handled by the knobster settings window in Xplane. But that window does not open for me.
Could you please, post your Log.txt file attached in a post after performing all these steps ?
  • Launch X-Plane
  • Select a default X-Plane Aircraft
  • Load the flight by clicking <Start Flight> button
  • Don't do anything else
  • Exit X-Plane
  • Attach your Log.txt file to a new post (found in root X-Plane 11 folder)

Kaellis991

#8 Post by Kaellis991 »

Ralph wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:05 pm You dont have to modify any files, that's why it isn't described. You would be the first one for who this does not open, so I'm not really in with this. Can you please make a little video to show that you're following all the steps?
I guess I could if I knew how to record in windows 10. That is something I’ve never had to do.
I downloaded the KnobXP zip file. Extracted it to my Xplane/resources/plugins folder and the control mode window opens in Xplane as it should.
The settings window will not open however.

The download file (KnobXP 1.2 Home Use) I extracted From is what I downloaded a year ago and thought it might be an older version.
But I see the latest download is also KnobXP 1.2. So it’s not that I have an older version…the settings window just doesn’t work.
At least I know how to change the on / off in the json file which is working fine for me.

Kaellis991

#9 Post by Kaellis991 »

SimPassion wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:14 pm
Kaellis991 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:57 pm I read that one page over and over again and I didn’t find any explanation about what file the knobster is reading from and that the true / false line turns the control mode on or off. Perhaps that is handled by the knobster settings window in Xplane. But that window does not open for me.
Could you please, post your Log.txt file attached in a post after performing all these steps ?
  • Launch X-Plane
  • Select a default X-Plane Aircraft
  • Load the flight by clicking <Start Flight> button
  • Don't do anything else
  • Exit X-Plane
  • Attach your Log.txt file to a new post (found in root X-Plane 11 folder)
Log.txt
(87.91 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
Perhaps that I always have to reset the Knobsters usb connection when I start up Xplane is a factor.

SimPassion

#10 Post by SimPassion »

At least no major issue in Log.txt
only a fail on STMA and a warning on scenery file
nothing significant