Blocking Notification.

General company announcements

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Keith Baxter

Blocking Notification.

#1 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

I keep getting these notifications. They are irritating and offensive. Please resolve.
ice_screenshot_20220821-184524.png
Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

Ralph

Re: Blocking Notification.

#2 Post by Ralph »

It is some sort of issue with spamhause. It'll probably disappear. If you press send again then it'll go through.

Keith Baxter

#3 Post by Keith Baxter »

Ralph wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:06 pm It is some sort of issue with spamhause. It'll probably disappear. If you press send again then it'll go through.
Ralph yes I do that. But why do I have that irritation. I am offended that i am blocked because i am blacklisted. Blacklisted because of what ??? FFS

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

jph

#4 Post by jph »

I knew I shouldn't have added you Keith :lol:

Naw, as Ralph says it seems to be Spamhaus. Which is not good as so many rely on it. It can be turned off in the BBS settings but that opens up other issues
EVERY internet user has an entry but it should not normally be blocked. I think they may need to tweak THEIR settings a bit....

Peter is blaming Paul at the moment. :evil: Absolutely typical ITSec 'nothing to do with me govner' bs.

https://www.spamhaus.org/news/article/8 ... l-listings

Th ISP of this site is also probably not 'blameless' as logging in and out clears the issue. It is more likely to be the ISP at AM end that is causing the issues me thinks.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Keith Baxter

#5 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

BUT It seems that I am the only one which is not cool. :roll:

Keith

jph

#6 Post by jph »

It is happening in many places and it is - at this time - the responsibility of Spamhaus to fix as the ISPs will do NOTHING quickly.
The BIG problem is that this very BBS relies on the Spamhaus listings which have gone a bit power crazy recently.
The message you are getting is coming from this BBS - not from spamhaus per-se.
Until spamhaus fix their issues it is probably better to disable the filter on the site.

The message are supposed to go to ISP network admins, not to a BBS user. As said, it is the BBS relying on 'spamhaus' to get it right and it is blocking address ranges from your ISP, but only for a short time, then again when the ISP does something spamhaus doesnt like.
They need to wind it down and talk to the ISPs.
Their statement is BS as it doesn't address the issues. Definitely too big for their boots.
When supposed security ends up in a mess like this then people disable it. Often through necessity.
Sorry, I put my old work hat back on for a minute there. They have been a pain in the a$$ for more than 20 years. Their holier than though attitude is sickening, always has been.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

SimPassion

#7 Post by SimPassion »

Currently get the same blocking situation and shared a bit with Ralph by email
So, I perfectly understand the anti Spamming process

just received an message from Ralph by email and while sending an answer to him, I just received this from my well-know email service provider :

Code: Select all

Remote Server returned '550 5.0.350 Remote server returned an error -> 550 Email blocked by cbl.abuseat.org'
Absolutely no urgency, just it seems we will soon get billion of single closed area users on the earth :lol:

jph

#8 Post by jph »

SimPassion wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:18 pm Currently get the same blocking situation and shared a bit with Ralph by email

just received an message from Ralph by email and while sending an answer to him, I just received this from my well-know email service provider :

Remote Server returned '550 5.0.350 Remote server returned an error -> 550 Email blocked by cbl.abuseat.org'
Absolutely no urgency, just it seems we will soon get billion of single closed area users on the earth :lol:
The issue is not with your 'well known provider' it is responding to a sec flag from issue at the ;other; end (the recipient)
If the email was sent to the same isp route that hosts the forums then it is probably connected.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

SimPassion

#9 Post by SimPassion »

jph wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:43 pm
SimPassion wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:18 pm Currently get the same blocking situation and shared a bit with Ralph by email

The issue is not with your 'well known provider' it is responding to a sec flag from issue at the ;other; end (the recipient)
If the email was sent to the same isp route that hosts the forums then it is probably connected.
You're fully right Joe, though I've never stated either, further I'm an old IT so I still keep some bribes lost in my small brain
I've just reported what my email provider services, again which is a well-known actor in IT world, is sending back to me this statement, after I've tried to answer to Ralph at the moment. We were talking about the forums posting issue and the Spamhaus API, which is indeed potentially linked to cbl.abuseat.org mentioned in the blocked email return

I guess it's more a matter of the rate at which the data are sent between sender and receiver, in the case of email sharing with Ralph as I was using siminnovations.com domain to answer
I will try in another way

https://www.validity.com/blog/get-out-o ... -spamhaus/
https://www.mailmonitor.com/how-to-avoi ... -list-2-0/
https://mxtoolbox.com/problem/blacklist/spamhaus-zen
https://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spamhaus_Project

jph

#10 Post by jph »

Hi Gilles,
I have had - in a professional capacity - issues with Spamhaus v ISPs in the past. The idea behind them is terrific. If an ISP is not handling emails correctly - even repeated retries on non available hosts or any behaviour that is typical of nefarious activity - then they are warned, warned again )and again!), then flagged and then escalated to the point where this crap starts happening. Usually it is is down to the ISP not having adequate centralised control and management and hence cannot look after their 'house'. Nobody in overall charge to make a decision ! Two many people with fancy titles but not capable of making policy decisions. The two end up in a battle of wits and unfortunately it is the users who end up being inconvenienced.
Spamhaus is actually a very good process. It is just that we are in a state of heightened focus on spam/ messaging / data flow etc due to - mainly - Elon's attempted buy out of twitter and the fact that twitter has / is being shown to be made up of a huge proportion of automated bots and spam factories where up to 1/3 (possibly more) of so called 'users' are totally fake. The highest ranking offenders are most likely state sponsored CIA/FSB/MOSSAD/MOSS/PLA/DPRK(RGB)/followed by every other party from Iran down to corrupt politicians (which is an oxymoron in itself) and then the pyramid and get rich quick schemes promoting anything from Ponsi crypto scams, fake V!agra, flat earth, anti climate change, anti vax and every other total tinfoil nut job in existence. When you look at twitter and facebook in those terms then it is probably well over 50% of 'users'. The - what is likely to be a - very high profile court case has made the supposed 'spam' / bot police suddenly sit up and start doing things as they know the focus is going to shift to them. What was acceptable a month or two ago is now - suddenly - not.
When the UK NHS was hit by one particular attack that crippled some front line services the resulting action from outside agencies attempting to offer the protective services that they were being payed for caused more issues than the attack itself !!. :? .
If they want to get rid of the majority of spam and misinformation then simply close down twatter, faecesbook, pointlessgram and most of the other corporate and state sponsored propaganda - err, I mean - 'social media' sites. 75% of the issues will disappear overnight, followed by 70 - 80% of mental health issues in our 'younger' populace.
I believe Elon (Musk) and Jack (Dorsey) are both well aware of the massive problem with the likes of twitter and also anything that had Zuckerberg's touch on it as well - and Hoped that a legal battle would entail to - hopefully - get people to actually see these cess pits for what they truly are. Jack Dorsey is happy to be far away from the monster he created. Like Oppenheimer, he knows his creation and similar are potentially the 'destroyer of worlds'
[/RANT_OFF]'
;)
Joe. CISSP, MSc.