Reverse Viewport

Let Sim Innovations know about your Air Manager experience and let us know about your dream feature addition

Moderators: russ, Ralph

The Artful Dodger

Re: Reverse Viewport

#31 Post by The Artful Dodger »

Hi, Guys:
Sorry about the confusion.
preview.png
I purposely positioned the instrument over my screen icons so you could see that the whole thing is transparent. Unfortunately, as the tape progresses downwards, the numerals will attempt to enter, in this case, the red box. However, because I need to put a number in the red box, as you can see, it becomes a jumble if the other numbers are in there too. All the while the whole thing needs to be transparent! I can't show you one where the numbers are in the box because, in software, I artificially stop them before they get to the box. Unfortunately, the way I have to do it, the numbers suddenly disappear at the top and suddenly reappear at the bottom. If you watch the short video I posted earlier (in a .zip file) you'll see the effect.
I would like a way to simply keep the numbers from entering the box and thus the "cutout" function I suggested.
I hope this cleared (pardon the pun) up the issue.

Thanks again for all your assistance!!

Sparky

jph

#32 Post by jph »

It would be MUCH easier if you send a link to a video of the REAL instrument you are trying to reproduce, or at least one with the same effect.
Is not the same thing available in a flight simulator panel that you can take a video of - or one on youtube of the actual aircraft in use - showing how it is supposed to work, not how it is NOT supposed to work. ;)
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Ralph

#33 Post by Ralph »

I still don't see the problem. But I probably have to watch the video. Maybe I can get my laptop out tomorrow.

The Artful Dodger

#34 Post by The Artful Dodger »

Hi guys:
I posted a video in conversation 16 as a zip file - I can't download videos directly.

Sparky

jph

#35 Post by jph »

No, I am asking you to post a link to a video of what it SHOULD be doing, not what it 'shouldn't be doing.
If the instrument is modelled on a real life instrument then there should be info on youtube or elsewhere.

As Keith mentioned before, this seems like a straight forward matter of Z layering.

I am sure, if you looked, you could find an example of the actual thing you are trying to reproduce.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Keith Baxter

#36 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

OK this is what Sparky has done

This is what Sparky is trying to achieve.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

jph

#37 Post by jph »

Nice explanation Keith.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

The Artful Dodger

#38 Post by The Artful Dodger »

Hello:

To jph: I am building a Head Up Display - maybe you know of someone who has built one for the Air Manager, but I don't know of anyone! If you do, please let me know!
Preview - Before Fix.png
Preview - Before Fix.png (21.38 KiB) Viewed 895 times
Preview - After Fix.png
Preview - After Fix.png (16.31 KiB) Viewed 895 times
I have attached two images. They are not of a working instrument (see above) but they illustrate what I have been trying to accomplish. I need to keep the blue box transparent and I need to keep the numbers from the (in this case) airspeed tape from appearing in the box and messing up the actual airspeed figure which I present in the box. There's nothing really different from the image Keith attached except, and it's a huge except, everything I do has to be kept transparent!!

In the first image, I present four lines of text (two above the box, two below), representing the numbers on a tape. I have purposely overlapped them into the blue box. My dilemma was how to keep the text out of the box while keeping the box transparent. In the lower box, I have accomplished just that.

I will post a video (in zipped format because raw videos are prohibited from the forum) of the portion of the instrument, similar to the video I attached in conversation 16, only with the correction above applied to the instrument.

I know that all of you have been very frustrated with me because I was asking for help with a difficult problem. I tried several things until last evening I happened upon the solution. So, I thank all of you for not abandoning me or my problem as those on so many forums do. I try very hard not to bother anyone with a simple problem - so unfortunately, when I do ask a question, it is usually an obscure one, like this!

Sparky

Keith Baxter

#39 Post by Keith Baxter »

Sparky,

Ahhh that makes sense. That cannot be done that I know of. Perhaps @Corjan has a trick or could add that feature.

Keith
Last edited by Keith Baxter on Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

jph

#40 Post by jph »

Sparky,
I don't believe there is any frustration apart from a little relating only to a lack of clarity on what are you attempting to do - now it is clear with keith's example.
Absolutely 100% nothing at all to do with asking difficult questions.
A suggestion would have been a link to a youtube video showing a moving tape similar to Keith's and then simply saying I want that, but in a HUD. At first you were talking about fading pixels etc :D .. it is hard to get the point over sometimes, but examples of your points that you can link to that are already out there are great.
There is so much stuff on youtube that it is usually possible to find an example and you almost certainly don't have to take any videos yourself, or upload any, just a simple link.
A quick search on 737 HUD came back with this as an example -
Joe. CISSP, MSc.