Knobster from Sim Innovations not connecting to AM 4.1.4 (Windows 10)

Peer support for Air Manager desktop users

Moderators: russ, Ralph

SimPassion

Re: Knobster from Sim Innovations not connecting to AM 4.1.4 (Windows 10)

#31 Post by SimPassion »

jph wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:43 am
SimPassion wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:35 pm
Ralph wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:00 pm Now I'm still not really sure if you have tried a different cable...
It looks like the OP has ordered a new cable but not yet tested with it, I guess it has still to be delivered for further testing
We could understand the OP is reporting the same testing using the same original cable, so pointless info for the moment
Actually it's not pointless as the device IS staying connected in device manager hence it is not the cable.
Just clarify, what I meant for "pointless", was to report twice the same info, understand twice the same testing result and Ralph was only asking if the second testing was made with the new cable, so I've confirmed no, as stated by the OP
Anyway, glad to read a solution was found

bi30153

#32 Post by bi30153 »

Ok, here is the results:
- Both old & new cables were working fine. The problem was solved when I connected the knobster to 1 port my USB 3.0 card (4 ports) of my computer.
- By using a new USB HUB (7 ports / 4A) I was able to connect all the flight devices logitech radio panel & switch panel, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo and a USB hard drive 1TB) . (waiting for my order of the rudder pedals).
- Finally, I was able to connect a touch screen (with the Cessna 172 panel) and using the knobster.

A lot of progress in 1 week.

J.G.

jph

#33 Post by jph »

Glad you got it sorted. As said, the issue is with your usb sub system on the mainboard and almost certainly bandwidth owing to the age of the machine. Cable issues would cause a connect / disconnect sound (which you were not getting apart from plug in and unplug which is correct) or simply a failure to recognise device in device manager - which again was fine - ergo - not cable related.
Don't forget to give the external drive it's own USB 3 port - or at least be on a USB 3 HUB. I think you said the 7 port hub you have is USB2, you definitely don't want the hard drive connected to that. That is presuming it is a USB3 SATA enclosure. If you are unsure just post a picture of the connector on the back of the external drive. Some very early external housings were USB 2 - but these are pretty rare and obviously limited to a theoretical 480Mb/s (usually achieving only around 40MB/s in burst - on a good day with a fair wind - which is as bad as IDE.)
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.