G5 Glideslope on RNAV for MSFS

Questions about deployment and use of Air Manager Instruments

Moderators: russ, Ralph

jet46

G5 Glideslope on RNAV for MSFS

#1 Post by jet46 »

I do not have any glideslope indication on my G5 when doing an RNAV/LPV approach using the TDS GTN in the JustFlight Arrow in MSFS.

I have read in other forums that MSFS doesn't provide access to glideslope info on RNAV/LPV approaches but those posts were from several months ago I just wanted to confirm, is that limitation in MSFS still correct or have I done something wrong? If that is correct, it does appear that JustFlight's Arrow does use a custom lvar for glideslope info that works on RNAV approaches. Would it be possible to bind the G5 to this and have it display glideslope information from this custom source?

Ralph

Re: G5 Glideslope on RNAV for MSFS

#2 Post by Ralph »

Might be, I don't have this aircraft. I'm not really interested in adding any aircraft specific script, it has to be as generic as possible.

jph

#3 Post by jph »

The best thing is to request that Asobo add the missing data and then for Just flight etc to utilise the standard reference. . Presuming they ever add it..
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Crunchmeister

#4 Post by Crunchmeister »

RNAV glideslope doesn't work on any MSFS plane with the G5 - stock or addon. There's obviously a variable for it there, as it works with the stock avionics in the sim as well as on other 3rd party avionics addons. I don't know what it is offhand as I'm not at my computer. I suspect whatever they had published in the SDK documentation and what's in the G5 is not the actual variable that's used. Being encrypted, there's no way for us as end users to check what the G5 uses internally for it's fs2020 variable.
- Ryzen 5950x, 64GB 3600MHz RAM, RTX3070Ti

Simstrumentation Instrument dev
Free Air Manager instruments for MSFS available at http://www.simstrumentation.com

jph

#5 Post by jph »

Of course it's encrypted ,,!! :roll:
There is absolutely nothing to stop you finding out what you are claiming and publishing your results of a 'standard' official var though........
;)

Sheesh
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Ralph

#6 Post by Ralph »

If someone has the variable then I will have a look.

jet46

#7 Post by jet46 »

Thanks for the quick replies. I will reach out to Just Flight and Asobo. In the mean time, I can confirm this Lvar works (at least in Just Flight Arrow) L:VOR1_gsi

In the mean time, if anyone else wants a working solution for glideslope in the arrow, I did program a crude workaround that works for the JF Arrow. Probably works for other JF planes as well. It looks for variable to determine if GPS has glidepath, then confirms the CDI is set to GPS and if both are true, does a canvas draw of the glideslope, otherwise it makes it invisible. It seems to work quite well. I made it 25 width by 200 high but it can be scaled. I just plop this over top of the G5 in the location where the GS should be displayed.

Code: Select all

Gtxt = txt_add("G","font:arimo_bold.ttf; size:22; color:MAGENTA; halign:left;", 5,1,20,20)
canvas_main = canvas_add(0, 0, 25, 200)
canvas_diamond = canvas_add(0, 25,25, 25)

visible(canvas_diamond,false)
visible(canvas_main,false)
visible(Gtxt,false)

local GSPercent = 0

canvas_draw(canvas_diamond, function()

_rotate(45)
_rect(5,5,10,10)

_fill("magenta",1)

end)

canvas_draw(canvas_main, function()
    _rect(0, 0, 25, 25)
    _stroke("white",.5,2)
    _rect(0, 0, 25, 25)
    _fill("black",.2)

_rect(0, 25, 25, 175)
    _stroke("white",.5,2)
    _rect(0, 25, 25, 175)
    _fill("black",.2)

_circle(12.5,45,6)
    _stroke("white",.5,1)

_circle(12.5,90,6)
    _stroke("white",.5,1)

_circle(12.5,135,6)
    _stroke("white",.5,1)

_circle(12.5,180,6)
    _stroke("white",.5,1)

end)

function Has_GP(GSI,GP,GPSDrives)
log(GSI)
log(GP)
log(GPSDrives)

if GP== 1 and GPSDrives == 1 then
    visible(canvas_main,true)
    visible(Gtxt,true)
    GSPercent = (GSI / 200) * 156
    move(canvas_diamond,0,180-GSPercent)

visible(canvas_diamond,true)

else
    visible(canvas_main,false)
    visible(Gtxt,false)
    visible(canvas_diamond,false)
end

end

fs2020_variable_subscribe("L:VOR1_gsi", "Number",
"GPS HAS GLIDEPATH", "Number",
"GPS DRIVES NAV1","Number",
Has_GP)

Ralph

#8 Post by Ralph »

To get back to this. Is "L:VOR1_gsi" determining that it is in Rnav mode? Is this generic for all FS2020, or just specific to Just Flight?

Kylemon

#9 Post by Kylemon »

Just found this thread. I am using Air manager 4 with the paid version of the G5 instruments. I am flying the Just Flight Piper Warrior in MSFS2020. I am looking for a way to display the glideslope for RNAV approaches. Has any further solution been found to this problem or is the above workaround still the best bet. Could somebody explain to me where to place that code so that I could enjoy the functionality.

Ralph

#10 Post by Ralph »

You cannot make any changes to the script of the G5. But it looks like the variable isn't usable, so we have to wait for Microsoft/Asobo to make it work.