Flight Illusion v Air Manager

Everything about Flight Illusion hardware in combination with Air Manager or Gstep.

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Ralph

Re: Flight Illusion v Air Manager

#21 Post by Ralph »

You wouldn't have to calibrate anything. But lets for example say that normally zero is at zero, but in your case zero is at position 0.2 (of 0.0 to 1.0), then you start at 0.2 in your script.
There's a single and dual needle test instrument. It lets you select the position of the needle. Using this you can find out which motor position is zero on the needle scale.

jph

#22 Post by jph »

:lol: oh, the visions of the sledge... :D
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#23 Post by jph »

Ralph wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:22 pm You wouldn't have to calibrate anything. But lets for example say that normally zero is at zero, but in your case zero is at position 0.2 (of 0.0 to 1.0), then you start at 0.2 in your script.
There's a single and dual needle test instrument. It lets you select the position of the needle. Using this you can find out which motor position is zero on the needle scale.
That is neat !. some clever utils.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Kaellis991

#24 Post by Kaellis991 »

Ralph wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:22 pm You wouldn't have to calibrate anything. But lets for example say that normally zero is at zero, but in your case zero is at position 0.2 (of 0.0 to 1.0), then you start at 0.2 in your script.
What I remember from last year is that the needle moved in the range shown with the red arc when it should have been moving along the yellow arc.
No matter how I tried to calibrate it, the needle would never move past about the 12 GPH number on the gauge.

EDIT: I think these steppers have a 180 degree range. So it seems to me that the needle was attached out of position perhaps by 120 degrees counterclockwise. Thereby never being able to swing all the way around to 20 GPH.
image.png

jph

#25 Post by jph »

That should be easy to sort. There is a mechanical stop in the X27 stepper. If you gently turn the needle anticlockwise until you feel the stop and then continue turning it (it should slip on the shaft as it is a push fit usually) keep on turning it anticlockwise until it aligns with the start of the left side of it's arc. Job sorted. 8-)
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Kaellis991

#26 Post by Kaellis991 »

jph wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:15 pm That should be easy to sort. There is a mechanical stop in the X27 stepper. If you gently turn the needle anticlockwise until you feel the stop and then continue turning it (it should slip on the shaft as it is a push fit usually) keep on turning it anticlockwise until it aligns with the start of the left side of it's arc. Job sorted. 8-)
Joe,

The needle is already too far anticlockwise. It needs to move clockwise to get it to further swing along the bottom of the gauge and get to 20 GPH.
Right now the needle is basically at the mid point of the red arc. This is the resting state about halfway between each stop.
This needle should be resting at about the mid point of the yellow arc.
Therefore it seems to me that the needle needs to be rotated clockwise to somewhere between 12 and 14 GPH.

EDIT: I took the faceplate off and found that the FF needle will move approx. 320 degrees....see the pics below.
So I still dont understand why it would never swing all the way to the end stop.
image.png
image.png

jph

#27 Post by jph »

If the nedle will turn on the shaft then keep going anticlockwise as the stops are usually 315 degrees, not 180. It is always the left stop used for cal on every use i have ever seen. There are versions with continuous rotation but those are not as there are no cal sensors. Hope that makes sense?. Only trouble you may have is he glued them on with a welding torch or cyanoacrylate .. :D usually they are a simple push fit as no torque is ever applied in use. They are the same type of unit as in most car dash boards.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#28 Post by jph »

We over posted, but the above still applies. The anticlockwise stop for the fuel is the thick white line on the RIGHT hand side at around 3 oclock.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#29 Post by jph »

x27_spec.pdf
(1021.42 KiB) Downloaded 109 times

Datasheet for a single.. I know you love datasheets Kirk. :lol:
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Kaellis991

#30 Post by Kaellis991 »

jph wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:46 pm x27_spec.pdf

Datasheet for a single.. I know you love datasheets Kirk. :lol:
Thrilling stuff...

I think, just for the exercise, I will re-attach this gauge to the controller board and go through the calibration again to refresh my memory about it's default operation.
I will do that before I mangle it...